Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Can anyone link me to a good free Firewall, if theere is any?
Old 05-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Found a few:

One
Two
Three

Haven't checked them out but I'm pretty sure they're freeware and they seemed to get good ratings.

[ 05-07-2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 05-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

The first two links are dead.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Zone Alarm

[ 05-07-2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-07-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Thank you a trilion times Mouse. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
philip
Galvatron

I use Sygate which works well for me. I don't know if it differs much from zonealarm free but I tried zonealarm pro trial and it was crashing my single player games cause they set up a server. So I was fed up with zonealarm and got back to the program I used before and I like it. Works great as far as I know.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:09 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Thank you a trilion times Mouse. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Feel free to set up a new religion dedicated to the veneration of Scottish neo-deities

I'll accept donations.....

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-07-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
I use Sygate which works well for me. I don't know if it differs much from zonealarm free but I tried zonealarm pro trial and it was crashing my single player games cause they set up a server. So I was fed up with zonealarm and got back to the program I used before and I like it. Works great as far as I know.
If you want to test how well it works, go to the Gibson Research site www.grc.com and click the ShieldsUP link. It runs a set of tests on your connection that will give you an idea of how vulnerable you are to attack.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
The first two links are dead.
Actually his first link takes me to Zone Alarm. Very well rated for a freeware.
The 2nd is in fact corrupt.
The 3rd takes me to Sygate personal firewall. I personnaly have no use of that one.

Do you have a job? Or student? If either, get with the SysAdmin and get the offical company product. You do research at home right. That validates the take home package. I use from work Symantec Corporate Edition (CE) both firewall and Anti-virus.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:33 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
If you want to test how well it works, go to the Gibson Research site www.grc.com and click the ShieldsUP link. It runs a set of tests on your connection that will give you an idea of how vulnerable you are to attack.
interesting.. but i cant understand the results. IT says I fail some parts and pass in others.

Here are some results:

File Sharing:
Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!
Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.
--------------------------------

This one is all ports:

Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) — As detailed in the port report below, one or more of your system's ports actively responded to our deliberate attempts to establish a connection. It is generally possible to increase your system's security by hiding it from the probes of potentially hostile hackers. Please see the details presented by the specific port links below, as well as the various resources on this site, and in our extremely helpful and active user community.

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

So can anyone explain this to me in proper english. It is a good thing Im safe with illegal file transfer and I dont know about the pockets stuff... is that important. I mean Im one in a million of computers loggged on all the time. Its 1 in a million chance I get chosen by some hacker to hack into. Opinions?

Catch me if you can..