Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Mozilla.org released it's new browser today. as a user of Mozilla products, I downloaded and started using it ASAP. It's more of a slight upgrade to the more recent Firebird, but with political franchise and trade marks fixed.

Anyhow, I like it. It does seem quicker than Firebird, which initself is about 28% faster than that micro$haft product, what's it called. whatever. Some of the new features are nice, and the open source code makes it easy to add plugins.

I like it!

This might help.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

[ 02-09-2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the links, Felix.

In simple term, Firefox 0.8 is actually Firebird 0.8 with some changes and they trademarked the "Firefox" name.

I am have been using Firebird 0.7 and I like it very much. I will give the new Firefox 0.8 a try.

Firefox 0.8 - The Browser, Rebranded

[Edited]

Okay, I have installed it. Looks good. Some minor improvement with the download manager. Some old skins don't work anymore. Other than that, it looks almost identical to the old Firebird 0.7/0.6.

I see no reason for Firebird fan not to switch to the new improved Firefox 0.8 since it is still F.R.E.E. Thumbs up!

[ 02-10-2004, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 02-10-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Does this browser just replace IE?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:18 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Well yeah, replaces IE and a good job too. If there weren't some stubborn bastards and idiotic companies who INSIST on making websites that only work best with IE, then we could be rid of that by now.
Anyway, I might try this but I'm pretty happy with opera right now. Thanks for the heads up.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Got that right, Vaskez.

Honestly, I use Mozilla about 70% of the time and 30% with IE 6 because some website just can't seems to load properly on Mozilla; I can't seems to get Shockwave flash to run properly on earlier built of Mozilla (0.6/0.7).

One thing I like about Mozilla Firebird/Firefox is it's ability to display the "logo" of websites in the URL windows.

For example, IW has the "logo" of a hammer, while Google has the logo of the letter "G".
Old 02-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Oh this is nice... I use Firebird... the best feature: an integrated pop-up blocker

Of course that is IMHO.

But um... I don't have the scroll bar on the right side of the browser... it's gone...
Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Oh this is nice... I use Firebird... the best feature: an integrated pop-up blocker

Of course that is IMHO.

But um... I don't have the scroll bar on the right side of the browser... it's gone...
That's because you are using old skin. Switch back to the default skin and restart Firefox and your scroll bar will come back.

My advice is to delete all old skins and download new ones from their site. A lot of older skins don't work with Firebird anymore.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #8
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Maybe I am just ignorant to other options, but I like IE. I have no real problems with it. What are the advantages to this other browser? And is it completely safe, will it put a bunch of crap on my computer, can I transfer my favorites, etc. ??? Also, if I try it can I get rid of it easily if I dont like it?

[ 02-10-2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 02-10-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

The alternatives are much better. Just as safe, have all the features of IE plus loads more. The main alternatives are Opera and Mozilla. I use opera. On top of its standard features it has:

Pros:
- Faster page loading - honest, I don't know how but pages load faster than in IE
- Mouse gesture control system: this is cool! All major actions can be performed by mouse gestures. So if you hold the right mouse button and drag the mouse left that is "back" drag right and it's "forward". Drag down and left and it's new window. Down and then right and it's close window. It makes your browsing much slicker and quicker as you don't have to click on buttons or menu items [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Built in download manager, pause resume downloads
- Built in customisable pop-up blocker
- Built in email client - grab your email as you browse without doing anything
- Tabbed browsing - all pages open in a new tab inside the main browser window so desktop is less cluttered.
- Built in address book.
- The satisfaction that you are not using MS
- Looks a lot better than IE too!

this is all for opera v. 7.11

Cons:
- Not compatible with 100% of pages but all my usual pages work fine: IW etc.
- If you don't pay for Opera you get a little ad bar at the top but this just loads ads from the server so is not installing anything on your system. AFAIK Mozilla is completely free though not quite as slick as Opera.

[ 02-10-2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-11-2004, 02:34 AM   #10
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks Paladin. [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is faster indeed...