Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2002, 07:34 PM   #11
Istaron
Banned User

Man, Jason left Metallica in September 2001. Have you been living under a rock?

For the latest met-news, check out http://www.encycmet.com/
Old 01-06-2002, 03:49 AM   #12
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Man, Jason left Metallica in September 2001. Have you been living under a rock?

For the latest met-news, check out http://www.encycmet.com/

See, now I'm really confused..
At metallica.com it says

Metallica regrets to announce that after 14 years as Metallica's bass player, Jason Newsted has chosen to leave the band.

Jason Newsted: "Due to private and personal reasons, and the physical damage that I have done to myself over the years while playing the music that I love, I must step away from the band. This is the most difficult decision of my life, made in the best interest of my family, myself, and the continued growth of Metallica. I extend my love, thanks, and best wishes to my brothers: James, Lars, and Kirk and the rest of the Metallica family, friends, and fans whom have made these years so unforgettable."

Newsted joined Metallica from Flotsam And Jetsam in the fall of 1986 after the tragic death of bassist Cliff Burton. He participated in the recording of 6 Metallica albums (…And Justice for All, Metallica, Load, Re-Load, Garage Inc., and S&M) which have sold over 55 million copies worldwide to date. In addition, he played on numerous worldwide tours to millions of fans representing over 1000 gigs in all. While with Metallica, the band won countless awards including 5 Grammy Awards and 2 MTV Video Music Awards.

James Hetfield: "Playing with someone who has such unbridled passion for music will forever be a huge inspiration. On stage every night, he was a driving force to us all, fans and band alike.

His connection will never be broken."

Lars Ulrich: "We part ways with Jason with more love, more mutual respect, and more understanding of each other than at any other point in the past. James, Kirk and I look forward to embracing the next chapter of Metallica with both a huge amount of appreciation for the last 14 years with Jason and the excitement of rising to the challenges that lay ahead to make Metallica shine brighter than ever."

In the spring, Metallica will begin writing and recording a new studio album with release sometime in late 2001 or early 2002.

Kirk Hammett: "Jason is our brother. He will be missed."

And it says he did it in january 17th..

I knew it! It's a government cover-up, that's what it is
Old 01-06-2002, 04:32 AM   #13
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

maybe he got addicted to drugs and went to rehab... it's always like that... or choose between drugs or the band... some choose drugs... such idiots
Old 01-06-2002, 06:04 AM   #14
Lavindathar
Harper

I knew he had left, but I think they will replace him quite easily, with a similar standard of base player.

But I did like him, and Mitro, I agree, you wasn't joking when you wrote that, and I don't think it fair to slag off someone's music tastes.

Limp Bizkit (although i'm not their biggest fan) still haven't got their new base player have they?

I heard it might be Buckethead out of GnR.

Ah well.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:59 PM   #15
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

Limp Bizkit (although i'm not their biggest fan) still haven't got their new base player have they?

I heard it might be Buckethead out of GnR.

Ah well.

Really? Buckethead, kind of an odd choice, wouldn't you say?
Old 01-06-2002, 01:07 PM   #16
Axil
Dungeon Master

I didn'thear this either..maybe it's just us swedes?
Old 01-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #17
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I hate guys with buckets or their heads...

But about those dates, I believe it is like this: Jason decided for himself to leave the group on sept. 27th, but didn't actually leave until january.

And you know what's really interesting: sept 27th 1991 was the date of Cliff Burton's (Metallica's first bass player) fatal accident. Precisely 10 years earlier. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not...
Old 01-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #18
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Erm, has anybody seen my brains? Cliff died on sept. 27th 1987, of course. Please just ignore the dates in my last post.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #19
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
I hate guys with buckets or their heads...

But about those dates, I believe it is like this: Jason decided for himself to leave the group on sept. 27th, but didn't actually leave until january.

And you know what's really interesting: sept 27th 1991 was the date of Cliff Burton's (Metallica's first bass player) fatal accident. Precisely 10 years earlier. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not...

I think you misunderstood, I claim he left in january 2001 and Istaron says he didn't leave until september 2001, but it may be the other way around, but I doubt, why wait 6 months to leave?
I've mailed metallica.com and asked actually, so we'll get an answer to this very soon
Old 01-06-2002, 02:04 PM   #20
Jorath Calar
Harper

Actually Cliff died in 1984, in Sweden.
Anyway, to me Metalica has not done anything good since they cut their hair, the Black Album was the last good thing they did... Some bands just stopped being any good in the 90's. Iron Maiden is another one.
And the Napster fiasco was the last proof to me that Metalica are nothing more than sellouts.