Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2002, 07:25 AM   #1
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

I think that North Korea seems to be a bigger danger to the world than Iraq.
As far as I can see Saddam hasn't actually done anything this time?.

I would say a pre-emptive strike on Korea might save the world a lot of grief.

Attacking Iraq will just antagonise the whole of the Arab world, Saddam ain't a nice guy and Bush senior should've removed him 1st time, but as I say he hasn't actually done anything wrong this time and I've seen no evidence of any attempt from him to get nukes, unlike Korea.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:04 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
It's better for the future if Saddam isn't around anymore. And i wouldn't worry about North Korea too much either, that country is flatbroke, they can't afford to wage war on anybody.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Not to antagonize anyone here, this is a genuine query, I'm just curious as to who 'the world' is. Saddam is threatening 'the world'. 'North Korea' is threatening 'the world. I dunno, lots of names are getting thrown around and I don't know what they mean. Who is 'North Korea'? Are all humans living on that selected plot of land so exactly alike that they all become some great hive entity? Hmmm, I'll have to try and sneak into 'North Korea' sometime and see if I can have a chat to some of the locals, see what they think.

In relation to the topic, I think the greatest danger that any human can face is oversimplification of alliance. 'Us vs. them'. The 'free world' vs 'the rest'. Brings alot of unfounded prejudice in to how one treats another. Not wise.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Good luck trying to get in to North Korea, and i don't think you'll hear a lot of different opinions from people there, cause they simply don't know any better. There's no freedom of press in North Korea, so the people hear only what the government wants them to hear. And believe me, that ain't much. They probably see the western world as an evil vicious empire that wants to kill all North Koreans.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:54 PM   #5
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Good luck trying to get in to North Korea, and i don't think you'll hear a lot of different opinions from people there, cause they simply don't know any better. There's no freedom of press in North Korea, so the people hear only what the government wants them to hear. And believe me, that ain't much. They probably see the western world as an evil vicious empire that wants to kill all North Koreans.
Quite possible, but it would be wisest for us to try and find this out for ourselves instead of blindly accepting the rhetoric of politicians eh? Otherwise and perish the thought, we might end up seeing North Korea as an evil vicious empire that wants to kill all westerners and dupes all of it's citizens into thinking the western world is an evil vicious empire that wants to kill all North Koreans.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:54 AM   #6
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Not to antagonize anyone here, this is a genuine query, I'm just curious as to who 'the world' is. Saddam is threatening 'the world'. 'North Korea' is threatening 'the world. I dunno, lots of names are getting thrown around and I don't know what they mean. Who is 'North Korea'? Are all humans living on that selected plot of land so exactly alike that they all become some great hive entity? Hmmm, I'll have to try and sneak into 'North Korea' sometime and see if I can have a chat to some of the locals, see what they think.

In relation to the topic, I think the greatest danger that any human can face is oversimplification of alliance. 'Us vs. them'. The 'free world' vs 'the rest'. Brings alot of unfounded prejudice in to how one treats another. Not wise.
You have asked for explanations but not given your oown opinion on who is being threatened...would you care to enlighten us?

For my part, Iraq and NK both threaten everyone everywhere, not directly mind you, but through the fact that they may sell WMD's to any group that can raise enough money. This could be Hezzbolah (sp?) or the IRA, or any other terror group in the world. Thats why I say they threaten the world.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:10 PM   #7
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

For my part, Iraq and NK both threaten everyone everywhere, not directly mind you, but through the fact that they may sell WMD's to any group that can raise enough money. This could be Hezzbolah (sp?) or the IRA, or any other terror group in the world. Thats why I say they threaten the world.
There, see, that was alot more specific, and helped me out alot. Cheers
But when one of these national names is mentioned I would assume that it refers to the top of the respective hierarchy, not the land or population itself? In which case I guess it becomes a matter of 'are we men or are we mice' in terms of who is instigating what.

[ 12-31-2002, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 01-02-2003, 08:46 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
There, see, that was alot more specific, and helped me out alot. Cheers
But when one of these national names is mentioned I would assume that it refers to the top of the respective hierarchy, not the land or population itself? In which case I guess it becomes a matter of 'are we men or are we mice' in terms of who is instigating what.
You know..I have been thinking about this a lot lately, who is responsible....take Iraq for example. One man and a limited number of loyal fanatics rule this nation. The ruling class is threatening not only the world in general but the general population of the nation itself. Why are these people not fighting against the tyranical rule which so obviously keeps them in poverty? The Kurds try to fight, but with no real outside support, have no chance of victory. How much are the "people" of Iraq to blame for allowing this despot to rule them?
Old 01-02-2003, 09:08 AM   #9
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
You know..I have been thinking about this a lot lately, who is responsible....take Iraq for example. One man and a limited number of loyal fanatics rule this nation. The ruling class is threatening not only the world in general but the general population of the nation itself. Why are these people not fighting against the tyranical rule which so obviously keeps them in poverty? The Kurds try to fight, but with no real outside support, have no chance of victory. How much are the "people" of Iraq to blame for allowing this despot to rule them?
Well indeed. The problem is, from birth, they recieve a totally different style of education to those living in 'the west'. Where we are taught somewhat to believe that we have value as individuals, and should stand up for ourselves on issues we consider urgent, this isn't encouraged so much in areas stemming from arab/saracen heritage. The hierarchy is much more entrenched, and questioning of such is not acceptable behaviour among those of ignoble birth. In such a culture of psychological submission the 'masses' become utterly dependant upon the benevolence of their masters for their prosperity. You could try teaching them otherwise, but there is thousands of years of tradition at work, despite the turbulent power struggles of recent decades. It'll be a tough habit to break, if indeed it is ever broken at all. Personally I'd rather be dead than left with the psychological inability to tell my bosses to shove it if I don't like the way they're treating their people. But that's just me.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:32 AM   #10
MagiK

Yeah it is a tough nut to crack H. Don't know if there is any real hope for the peoples of the middle east and parts of asia. I wonder if they will ever be much more than sheep to be led to the slaughter by whatever master rules them