Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-01-2001, 01:49 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

It was suggested to me by a co-worker that I try 'martial arts' for stress release and meditation. He practices Tae Kwan Do (sp) but I am curious to know if anyone here practices any 'martial arts' and if you do what style, what are the basics of that style (defensive, offensive.....) and anything else you would like to add. I am thinking about Pentjak Silat (indonesian martial arts)....does anyone practice this and if so what style?

Thanks!

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-01-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I used to do your average Karate, but the guy that taught it moved away
It is great fun, you meet lots of different people and it's a pretty good workout too. I thourogly recomend it.

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF
Old 04-01-2001, 02:06 PM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Go for it Mori! There's one started by a fellow called Harfuche which is supposed to be good too. Something Jitsu (similar to Ju jitsu).

Tai Chi is based on slow movements.
Tai Kwan Do is Korean and uses weapons I believe.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-01-2001, 02:12 PM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Actually I know very little about Martial Arts, I'm trying to be encouraging here Mori.
I did happen to meet Christian Harfuche though and he mentioned his 'school' of art.

I've heard that Tai Chi, Ju Jitsu and Tae Bo are good, but having never practiced one myself, risk sounding like an idiot.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-01-2001, 02:22 PM   #5
Strahd Von Zarovich
Drow Warrior

I did Kendo for about 2 years before college and University, It's an expensive Martial art with no real application in self-defence unless you have a cane or unbrella with you. But Kendo is deaply rooted in tradition and displays and it's a hard exercise plus you have a wooded sword Shinai and body armor (Innitiation Varies by dojo is putting on the oldest armor wich most of it's pads are missing and wistanding one attack from every other members).

But if your look for a less expensive, more pratical Martial Art, Tae Kwon doe is a good choice, Karaté or Judo.
Old 04-01-2001, 02:41 PM   #6
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

We have a Kali group here in the Twin Cities that I am looking at but it is so damn expensive.....$55 for one month/one program.....that is a lot more than just a standard gym membership. I looked at a couple of the Karate, Ju Jitsu and Tae Kwan Do studios in town, but they all seem to be orientated towards kids. I don't have a BIG problem with this, but the idea of having my ass kicked by some 6 year old is a little frightening

The Kali group emphasizes the fighting arts of Bruce Lee. I think I may go check that one out.

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-01-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I practise Tae Kwon Do since i was 7 or 8 (im 19). I think its a good sport, but also requires a good physical preparation and there is always the chance of having some kind of lesion (this sport isnt good for the back, and also the knees may suffer, for example my knees are very bad now).

If you wanna practise just to relax and keep fit, Tae Kwon Do is great, but i also think that other martial arts like Karate, Kung Fu or Jiu Jitsu will be OK too.

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Old 04-01-2001, 07:06 PM   #8
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks!>

Hi Moridin,

Well, I'd be delighted to answer your question. I've been doing martial arts for 7 years now, and have studied close to a dozen different system. My main style is Kung Fu, but of the older, ancient variety (ie Tai Chi, Ba Gua, etc).

First off, what are your goals in training? If you would like more fast paced sports type stuff, then Karate, Tae Kwon Do and even Tae Bo might be good to try. Remember, although Tae Bo is a GREAT workout, I wouldnt consider myself even a self defence adept after studying it. Being in "shape" and being able to kick high is one thing. Being able to stand in a Kumite match and spar with another Karateka is another. Fighting a 300 pound man in the streets on PCP who is trying to beat your head in and take your wallet and/or your life, well that is the dog eat dog aspect of living that we all may face once day.

If you are looking more for meditation, spirituality and perhaps a hint of "Budo", I would suggest trying something with a deeper connection to healing, not focused on sports and such. Aikido is a good choice, and of course I'm always an advocate of Tai Chi and the "internal" system. Sadly though, if you wish to study Tai Chi, you will mostly likely not learn much about self defence. About 95% of all Tai Chi schools in the US teach "Tai Chi Chuan" and a "Long Form". This is a very small fraction of the traditional art of Taijiquan, which has many facets and is VERY powerful in regards to martial arts. So, you may get in good health and be happy, but you must look very hard if you want to learn traditional Tai Chi for self defense. And it takes years of training to get even slightly good at it.

If you wish to learn some fighting skills quicker, by all means, go for Karate, Kung Fu or Jiujitsu. There is a big following of the Gracie family for Jiujitsu...so you shouldnt have a hard time finding a school.

But, my best piece of advice is to follow your own desires. Check out many martial arts schools, and try them out, most Sifus/Senseis will let you try out the class, usually for free. Do what feels right for you and your body.

Along with this, be very picky about who you train with. A friend once said to me when I was studying Karate "why would I want to pay some guy to make me wear pajamas and a goofy belt and do push ups while he yells at me?". Some people need that discipline, others do not.

There is a very wide varietly of teachers and styles in the martial arts world, and there are some really great teachers out there. I've had some teachers that were so bad, that I literally walked out of class, but even despite some of them being horrible human beings, I learned so much from each and every one of them.

So, there is a saying in China. "It takes a Master three years to find a student, and a student 3 years to find a Master."

Basically put, YOU are your own master and control your own destiny. If you wish to study, find a teacher who will help you unlock what is already in your body, what we all have and have forgotten. Do not let anyone try to do this for you. They can show you the door, only you can open it and see what lies beyond.

If you have any questions about specific styles, feel free to email me at: "elescorpio@hotmail.com".

Pentjak Silat..that is a very unusual art...Indonesian..based on a triangle I have heard, but honestly I know next to nothing about it!

Good luck in your search! Its a great way of life, and I will always encourage it for everyone.

Sincerely

Scronan
Old 04-01-2001, 07:43 PM   #9
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

I practice (and still practice!) Wing Chun Kuen, which is a style that the Jeet Kung Do Style is based on.

Wing Chun Kuen is the foundation of Bruce Lee's style and to tell the truth I love it!!

I use kung fu (martial arts) as a great stress reliever after a bad day. And trust me - it really helps.

But since it is a "hard" style based kung fu I won't recommend it for relaxation. Instead try T'ai Chi Chuan which is "soft" internal martial arts compromising flowing movements of the body.

Finally there's Shaolin Kung Fu (which I also practice).................and let's say that it leaves you like a dead log sometimes! LOL!

So my opinion would be t'ai Chi chuan or Yoga. Yoga can be difficult for heavy stress since it requires a high level of relaxation.

------------------

Greetings mortals, my name is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:43 AM   #10
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

What's wrong with a gun?

Feeling stressed out? Go "Postal."

Need exercise? Run from the cops after a shooting.

Just KIDDING, folks! I don't know much about martial arts except there are two general schools: "hard" and "soft." The "hard" forms are tough on the joints and bones - a lot of stress for both. The "soft" has less to do with strength and more with flexibility, balance, using the opponent's momentum against them, etc. Either one will put you in tremendous shape.

------------------
Next time I send some damned fool, I'll go myself...