Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-02-2001, 04:21 PM   #41
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

*rolls eyes*
This is a NON issue, people. We all agree, but are arguing the semantics of it... I think this should be allowed to drop off the main page...

------------------
-Bard Extrodinaire of the OHF
Man of Sweet Words and Heart Aflame
Keeper of the Heart of Charean
Old 04-02-2001, 04:39 PM   #42
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by KDogRex:
*rolls eyes*
This is a NON issue, people. We all agree, but are arguing the semantics of it... I think this should be allowed to drop off the main page...

KDogRex,

if I had gotten the impression from the previous posts that we would all be agreeing, I would not have bothered to post. So I cannot agree with you on agreeing.

You might be right, though, that the practical repercussions of the disagreement for the way we behave here are rather slim, but this board is also a place to exchange ideas and views, so anything that might not be that relevant as an issue of the self-regulation of this board, might still be a topic well worth of an inspired debate.

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 04-02-2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 04:51 PM   #43
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
This post might get me in trouble for various reasons, so let me start off by saying that I have no intention to be disrepectful or derogatory towards any individual or any nationality, but:

- After reading the other posts I believe that many of the Americans here should realize that their culture is rather "prudish" compared with other western countries. To give you an example: all over continental Europe it is quite common, and widely accepted, that there are huge billboards with ads, let alone magazine covers at newsstands, displaying "full frontal nudity". If I am not completely misinformed that would be completely unthinkable in the States. My point is neither to say which way is better, nor do I even intend to discuss that here, but to draw your attention to the fact that decency is a highly relative concept, mostly inherent in the respective national/regional cultures.

- The American obsession with protecting minors from "indecency" has always struck me as being - at least partly - hypocritical: the alleged motivation to protect minors is basically a cover for the true motivations that belong more in the ideological and religious field, but cannot be openly be advocated as such, because a society as diverse as the American can only function under the assumption of ideological and religious neutrality of the state. I also strongly believe that children, let alone teenagers, need not to be protected half as much from the exposure to "improper" information as from actual harm like neglect, being unloved, violence, physical and mental abuse of all kind. To quote the former first lady: "It takes a village !" But that is a very ambiguous statement, because it also implies that not only the positive things but also the real dangers for kids do not mainly come from the media and society at large, but from their immediate environment, sometimes even from within their own family.

- The meaning of all of the above for this board: let me start by admitting that I've never been to the inn, but I have been around long enough to have experienced the start of Bk's and Cb's "romance" and if things have not become more explicit tenfold since then, I think I have an idea what you are talking about and see no reason for concern. But even that is beside the point as I think that the focus has to shift from wanting to protect the innocence of actually or potentially present teens - no need for that - or the upholding of an uniform standard of decency - on an international board to define something like that would be almost impossible - to the much more important and broader issue of mutual respect. But that is an ambiguous concept to a certain degree as well. To make my point clear: let's assume for a minute that Melusine and I decided to enact our own "hot romance" here (Hi Melusine, that is no silly attempt to hit on you, just for the sake of the argument ) and let's furthermore assume that we choose to do so with a level of explicitness we were both perfectly comfortable with but others found to be slightly over the top (slightly, nobody wants to turn the board into a x-rated publication). I personally think that those "others" would have to live with that, since respect also entails the tolerance for someone else's right of free expression and to an own value system. (If I ever was in that situation, I would still tone my words down, as a matter of courtesy.) Now let's assume that Cb would be "dumped" by Bk and subsequently would take up a virtual "romance" with me(again, all just for the sake of the argument). If I now inadvertently overstepped her line, she would, of course, be entitled to demand that I respect her standards and change my ways, even if I personally thought that they were ridiculously prudish (No, Cb, I do not actually think that you are very prudish. ).

Why did I get into this debate ? Because I thought that it was rather one-sided and I also believe that the concept of decency promoted here by many can be very dangerous, because it is an ideal "Trojan horse" for intolerance.

I know that many here, especially the parents among you, will strongly disagree with me and that is fine with me, but I hope wholeheartedly that I have not angered anyone to a point that he or she won't even bother anymore to openly contest those of my ideas they found wrong or even offensive. Please, let me know what you think !

You are all great people !

HERE HERE Ramon!!! *bilqis stands up and breaks out in wild applause.* Thank you Ramon for saying what I couldn't find the words to say and what I've felt for years and wish was blazoned across billboards across the U.S.A.!!!

Plus, I feel badly for Reeka. I think she's feeling picked on when she was actually trying to be inclusive by starting this topic.

*She hugs Reeka in sympathy*

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild
Old 04-02-2001, 05:12 PM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
*rolls eyes*

It is an issue for me and at least two other members, and we don't all agree. Ladyrae and I don't for a start.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-02-2001, 05:16 PM   #45
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
*rolls eyes*

I'll second that. Ramon, yay! You said it and, if you read my post just before, I tried to!

------------------
Proprietor of The Moon's Hope Inn
Conspirator...Um, I mean, member of the Ladies Guild
Smitten by The.Relic

Old 04-02-2001, 05:25 PM   #46
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bilqis, ma'am, thanks for your support and your compliment

And you are right: Reeka's thread to organize next weekend's party really has been badly sidetracked, also by my intervention, but the topic had been already shifted before. But I do still apologize to you, Reeka . And if you still want me to - from your posts I got the idea that you will most strongly oppose my views - I'll offer you a brotherly hug as well.

(Bilqis, just read the caption part of your signature for the first time:
brilliant ! Would you marry me ? Oh no, too late ! )

------------------
So long !

Old 04-02-2001, 05:28 PM   #47
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi lovely Princess! Since I see you are posting here, I just thought I would say that I re-sent an e-mail to you at the new addy.
Smitten by LadyRae
Old 04-02-2001, 05:37 PM   #48
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRae:
I'll second that. Ramon, yay! You said it and, if you read my post just before, I tried to!

LadyRae, I have to apologize: I had actually only scanned your post before posting myself. I am usually very careful to read every post before I post myself on a thread, but this time, by the time I came across your post, already so much tension had built up from reading the previous posts that my attention was already focused on my reply. Sorry !

------------------
So long !

Old 04-02-2001, 07:31 PM   #49
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
(Bilqis, just read the caption part of your signature for the first time:
brilliant ! Would you marry me ? Oh no, too late ! )

bilqis winks at Ramon and says "Stand in line big boy!"

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.

Most Happy Taker of Zeeke
and member of the
Moon's Hope Inn
Ladies Guild
Old 04-02-2001, 08:17 PM   #50
Zeeke75
Baaz Draconian

OK. I'm relatively new to this board, and I don't know many of you very well, but I'm gonna throw out my 2 cents anyway.

I will also have to agree 100% with Ramon. While I'm not going to make this an X-Rated board (there are plenty of those around the Internet), it is fun to have a little fun (as I've been doing with Bilqis for the last few days). I hope that I have not offended anyone with any of comments, but I won't apologize for them either. The whole thread is primarily based of off a role-playing situation, and should be taken as such.

I do understand the concerns of some about minors, but I also agree with Ramon that we should be more open and honest, instead of trying hide things and cover them up. If a minor is able to get on this board and read what it going on, then they are certainly able to find any one of the X-Rated boards that are simply found on any search engine.

I don't claim that my opinion is right or the best, but it is my own.

------------------

Protector and Defender of Nature
Original victim of "The Gauntlet"
Quite taken (and happy about it) by Bilqis