Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2002, 12:05 PM   #1
Anamics
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi. need help there.. i'm thinking of putting int realli low for classes that dont need them.. i mean.. do they matter at all in other non casting classes?
and like charisma and wisdom.. some classes dont seem to require them.. is there any cons at all in lowering them till about 8 so i can free up more for the rest??

any help is appreciated.=)
Old 09-13-2002, 12:28 PM   #2
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

The only one you can lower without much consequeces is charisma. Wisdom is essential for will saving throws (hold person, charm, fear...) and intelligence influences the number of skill points you get each level.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:29 PM   #3
kirdie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

charisma i set to the lowest possible (1 most) because there is no profit exept for interactions with people (and for that i have my asimar cleric with wis20/char20) and skills (diplomacy...) which i also give to my cleric. the other ones dont need it.

i have max con always because hp are important

int is also useless i set it to 3 for fighters.

you can determine if a certain attribute is good for something if you go into the info->attributes(? or was it stats, you know what i mean) and there are the modifiers. if none of them depends you, min it.
kirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:30 PM   #4
kirdie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

@filsbut...
yes, but fighters dont need skills...
kirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 12:39 PM   #5
ratchild
Manshoon

In 3rd edition, EVERY stat is important. Int determines skill points. If you want to put it at 3, realize you will never have a skill point to spend. Your will save is based on wisdom, so lowering that will make your characters susceptible to charm and other such spells. Now Cha... that one isn't too bad, but remember, eventually every one in your party will have to talk to an NPC at some point, and you don't want slobbering morons accepting 3 gold for a reward.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

There is also the fact that this is a roleplaying game, and that character with 18 str, con, dext and 3 int wis cha are not realistic at all.

The game was also not balance for "Super fighter" sure, lowering your charisma to 5-6 might be ok for a barbarian. Maybe he never cleaned himself. But how do you explain a character with 3 int, wis, ans cha?

That would be a character that can't speak, can't tell when people is lying to him, and he is so offending you would want to kill him 5 seconds after seeing his face.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:17 AM   #7
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Actually, if you have a character with a 3 Intelligence, you still get one skill point per level (two if you're human), the same amount you would have with an 11 Intelligence. Perhaps this person cannot read, but in my copy of IWDII, they can initiate dialogue and speak fairly well. Roleplaying is a personal choice, and the game can be difficult enough even if every stat was 18.

A cleric can do just fine with one skill point per level as well (in concentration) unless you want that character to do your talking (then add skill points to Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Bluff with a higher Intelligence character).

[ 09-14-2002, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: Zateel ]
Old 09-14-2002, 05:51 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
Actually, if you have a character with a 3 Intelligence, you still get one skill point per level (two if you're human), the same amount you would have with an 11 Intelligence. Perhaps this person cannot read, but in my copy of IWDII, they can initiate dialogue and speak fairly well. Roleplaying is a personal choice, and the game can be difficult enough even if every stat was 18.

A cleric can do just fine with one skill point per level as well (in concentration) unless you want that character to do your talking (then add skill points to Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Bluff with a higher Intelligence character).
That's a limitation of the game. 3 int characters should not be able to have dialogues, and 3 charisma characters would get VERY BAD reaction from NPC.

Sure, roleplaying is a personal choice, but abusing the game by creating super characters is cheesy, and how can you relate to a character with stats like that?

Lets say you have a 3 int and charisma barbarian, do you think of him as an animal in a human's body? Dogs have 2 int and 6 charisma. Comparing such a character to a dog would be complimenting him.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:03 PM   #9
DraconisRex

Um, in RPG, characters with an INT of less than ?) can't speak intelligibly. A character with an intelligence of 3 could not speak more than a few words.

Now, speaking may not be a problem because of a hard-coded dialog. But, a bad charisma will certainly kill your rewards and options, plus skyrocket your costs, if your "pretty-boy" has been killed.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote