Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-29-2001, 09:39 PM   #1
Kitty
Manshoon

I'm not talking about enemies with names (i.e Firkraag, Bodhi, Jon Irenicus, Mekrath and so on); just about monsters. In my opinion, they are:
1) Golems (all types). They are resistant to magic, are immune to many weapons and deal out a lot of damage, not to mention they can haste themselves, slow your party and breath poisonous gas.
2) Mind flayers. Needles to say why.
3) Umber hulks. Besides their confusion gaze, they have many attacks per round and move fastly.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:49 PM   #2
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... probably Mind Flayer types (in SoA, not ToB), not as much because of psionics (chaotic commands works quite well against that) but because of their ^#*&$ intelligence drain. Hmm... golems aren't too hard at higher levels, and dragons are fairly easy too, I think. Hmm... Yes, probably mind flayers.

------------------
Bow down to the Weasels of Apocalypse! RaBid Fruit Trees! RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Miniature Exploding Demonic Demons of Doom, Death and Desruction!
:1drgat1:
Old 08-29-2001, 09:50 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Encard:
Hmm... probably Mind Flayer types (in SoA, not ToB), not as much because of psionics (chaotic commands works quite well against that) but because of their ^#*&$ intelligence drain. Hmm... golems aren't too hard at higher levels, and dragons are fairly easy too, I think. Hmm... Yes, probably mind flayers.

I agree.
I hate having to defend myself against my own party, even after the baddies have been destroyed...it is so annoying to have to run from them until they remember who they are.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)
Old 08-29-2001, 10:17 PM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

1) Mind Flayers ----> I think this is a mutual agreement.

2) Vampires ----> Level drain... ... a nuisance till I get Turn Undead Lvl 20.

3) Errrr... ... anything else that drains levels.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart
Old 08-29-2001, 10:22 PM   #5
Tananda
Elminster

Mind Flayers are surely a pain, but I hate liches even more, with all their defenses, time-stops, and PowerWords... Not to mention that they are evil and...ugly!

Tanda
Old 08-29-2001, 10:28 PM   #6
Kitty
Manshoon

I agree with you, liches are troublesome until they get ran out of spells...and this requires a lot of time (and reloads). But for this, I send some summoned monsters in and stay out of their sight until they waste their spells on the summoned creatures, and only then I send my fighters to hack the liches to pieces. A hard tactic, but it works.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:33 PM   #7
Starkiller
The Magister

Ya, Illithids and Lichs...anyone know the difference between an illithid and a mind flayer anyway? In any case, the most annoying part about them is that you think your fighter is doing fine, his hit points are high, he is kicking ass, then he drops dead from intelligence drain. It is the most annoying thing to keep track of, and it virtually illiminates the possibility of using berserker rages to counter the confusion, since you cant pull your warrior out when his intelligence gets too low, and that happens QUICKLY if you are using Minsc. As for lichs, the most annoying part is that some of your spells dont work on them, like breach, so there is absolutely NO way to end their protection from magical weapons early.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:24 AM   #8
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Starkiller, I think the reason why your breach spell doesn't work is that liches might employ spell sheild in the begginning of the encounter, just a thought.

As to the most annoying monsters in this game, my vote goes to those dam mind flayers...what a pain in the ass those its are! I've heard people on this board say that skeletons work well against them, but I tried it and they were hammared, so what give, anyone? Note, I used skeletons, not the skeleton warriors that you get at 15th level just in case that was intended to be used.

------------------
To quote the pestering peasant, Neeber, of tradesmeet: "I killed a rabid rabbit! I'm experienced, now!"
Old 08-30-2001, 12:36 AM   #9
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Beholders are my most hated. All else there are good tactics - mind flayers use chaotic command and ranged weapons, liches just breach and bash, they always waste their time stops with death spells and true sight, vampires are annoying but again chaotic commands. Beholders are a lottery. Even with the beholder shield and the cloak of mirroring they still petrify and hold at will. This is my third time through and I only killed the bare minimum of beholders, I just can't stand them. Although they do look good when they die - they're there hovering and them just collapse with all their eyes flopping around.
Old 08-30-2001, 01:07 AM   #10
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Spoiler? maybe Yes , maybe No
take the time to read all the Druid Spells and Priest Spells
and you will find Mind Flayer a wimp try the Level five spell
Chaotic Commands put on your team members along with level four
spell Negative plane protection ,then walk up to any Mind Flayer
with anybody with a sword and hack him into little Bits.( works on
Umber Hulks also )
The Lich, Demilich, & Elemental Lich With all there protections
and High level spells can be considered the most hated monsters