Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-18-2000, 12:52 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I never got totally into AD&D because like Armisael I had no-one to play with after I moved to Australia
Wastelands was a legendary game. I wrote an English paper in high school describing my adventures in it, it was about 5000 words. My Engish teacher said (i was in 9th grade) i had a "very active imagination".
Ultima 4 really got me into the epic series, I would rate that as a truly groundbreaking game in terms of its scope. Graphics were shithouse but they made up for it in creativity and innovation.
By the way, been trying to get Fallout 2 and Planescape, can't get them ANYWHERE!!! AAAAHHH!!!
Old 11-18-2000, 08:21 AM   #2
Tara

I think we have an interesting group here, and I think this could be a great way to compare notes on games I haven't tried yet too. What is your favorite Role Player Game of all, and why?

Mine is Daggerfall - anxiously waiting for Morrowind! This has an IMMENSE world and the main storyline is just a side note- you can continue exploring and questing indefinitely- even after ending main story quest. Plus tons of possibilities in how to play - I think you could still be playing your first game today if you wanted to, even though the game is MANY years old (ancient in computer terms).

Old 11-18-2000, 08:38 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmm. Do I get to include BG2? And are we talking CRPGs only?

I would have a top 5:

1. BG2
2. BG1
3. Wasteland
4. Ultima 4 (got me into the whole CRPG thing!)
5. Pool of Radiance

I kind of went off CRPGs till BG1, in fact went off AD&D for a while, then BG1 re-ignited the flame!
Old 11-18-2000, 08:47 AM   #4
Tara

Memnoch- any Role Player type game is fine.

Tell me about Wasteland, Ultima 4 (I only ever tried Ultima 9), and Pool of Radiance- never tried them - how do they compare and why do you like them better?

And sure - BG games can be included!

Old 11-18-2000, 09:58 AM   #5
Armisael

I can't remember playing Daggerfall, although the name does bring up strange memories of something akin to "Halt, halt, halt, halt, halt, halt!".

I haven't really played AD&D a lot. I only became interested in it after playing BG1, and even then I didn't play it much (simply because I don't know anyone who plays it). I enjoyed what I did play immensely, though.

Now, my three favourite CRPGs.
1. BG2
2. Ultima 7 (heh, first CRPG I ever played. What is it about the Ultima series?)
3. BG1
They're the only three that have really stuck in my mind, although I need to get a copy of Torment; apparently it's very good.

Old 11-18-2000, 10:50 AM   #6
Spangler

Well, Wasteland is the great-grandaddy of Fallout. I played it on an old apple. It had RGB graphics, but was very well written and revolutionary in computer games at the time.

Here my favorites, Old and new

New: 1. Baldurs Gate 2 (Of course!)
2. Fallout 2
3. Planescape
4. Baldurs Gate 1
5. Fallout 1 (Black Isle kicks ass dont they? =))
6. Ultima 9 (If you can get it to work)

Old: 1. Ultima 5
2. Wasteland
3. Ultima 7
4. The Bards Tale 1
5. Dark Sun 2
6. Secrets of the Silver Blade (Old D&D game, probably on one of those classic Forgotten realm sets)

There also was an ANCIENT D&D game that was all text, if anyone knows the name, please let me know..Your guy was a letter...F for Fighter, M for Mage etc...Anyway you moved around this dungeon with I's and Dashes for walls. Random Enemies (Letters) Would pop up to fight. It was kick ass for the time. Looked kinda like this:

I D I Machines...It was nifty...
I I
I I
I I
I I

Old 11-18-2000, 11:59 AM   #7
Ragnar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think the games name was HACK but I cant be to sure of that.

My favorite RPG was D&D of course but I do remember a board game named Dungeon that was pretty good while I was growing up. It is all tattered now but I still have it. I think the first CRPG game that I got interested in was Ultima 3 but Black Isle has definetly brought back the spirit of paper RPG. It isn't quite 100% but it is getting there.

It is great to start talking to fellow gamers after a 10 year lull. I moved to Arizona from Michigan back in the early 90's and all I can say about AZ is the gaming community here is below average.

Great string!
Old 11-18-2000, 01:10 PM   #8
rygar

wizardry (crusaders of the dark savant)

Old 11-18-2000, 01:15 PM   #9
Tara

Armisael- Yep- "Halt, Halt,Halt" were the guards when you did a naughty in town. LOL! You must've played Daggerfall at one point- it's worth cracking out again- although on new computers it really plays too fast (PLEASE hurry with Morrowing Bethesda!!) Here's a link to their site- they made Battlespire too- although I didn't think that was nearly as good, but some of you may know that. http://www.bethsoft.com/adv_index.html

As for the rest of these games- don't forget to include reasons and things you liked about them since I haven't tried alot of them and very well may want to if it sounds good. (probably not your DOS one though Spangler LMAO!)

Old 11-18-2000, 01:30 PM   #10
Tara

I don't believe I spelled Morrowind wrong- I even have Morrowind Wallpaper- geez! Oh well, forgive my typos, I go too fast.