Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

monsters are bigger, faster, stronger and cheaper. this reminds me of the old school 1D flying-shooting game back in the 80s. in the beginning, the game was like controling a air-fighter in Nitendo, player has to fly numerous identical missions. the job was simple: blow up everything. it was great fun then, and challenging as well. after several years, people got more skills, the japanese game publishers began to issue better machines. with the new power, new version of flying-shooting game came out. and the graphic was fascinating, because just look at the full-scale-on-slaught-air-lazer-beam-explosion-nuclear-missle-bullet-bomb makes me want to puke and faint... stars
now fortunately, or unfortunately, history is replaying itself on Baldur's Gate. just two years ago, as if it were still yesterday, we loaded our first AD&D game. we made our characters, we were like: "wow! i got 18 HP in the beginning!" or "HAH! critical hit 14!!! DIE DIE DIE!!!" and we were busy battling hords of "scary" goblins and hobgoblins. even though the combat looked like slow motion, I mean, my fighter couldnt even kill a sleeping dwarf in one hit, but we did feel like true heros. just couple years later after the success of Baldur's Gate, Bioware began to issue newer and better versions of the series. the new BGII is the one that is in your hand currently, or your CD drive, or your desktop, or your backbag, or your trash can? anyway, the monsters we killed came back with bigger, faster, scarier, cheaper and uglier feats. yes, they were designed to kill, to be dominators, and to be terminators. deadly leathal weapons such as time stop, machine-gun-like contigencies and nuclear powered golems crushed, tortured, destroyed, murdered and bombed any player with pride as well as sadistic pleasure. so what the players do in turn, they got shield of baldriun, celestial fury, claock of mirroring, saint kensai dual to genious mage, and when they actually play the game, their bodies generate power hungry aura that keeps them searching every corner of the dungeon, exploiting every little bug, justifying every innocent-killing. they wanted their character to be godlike, wait not godlike, the gods should worship his character. his character can move at speed of light, lift a truck, breath fire, use machine gun with one hand while playing computer game with the other, also can kill with one stare, immune to everything as well as violating every physical rules. yes, the god, THE god, you all should worship him kneel before him, weeping for his grace and tremble in fear when he yawns, and be gratful for he didnt fart...

aye, the power of human mind!
Old 03-25-2001, 12:09 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Well done Wei.

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?!

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-25-2001, 12:15 PM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

Wow !

Yep, who still remembers the joy of beating two Kobolds in a dark corner ...

------------------
Old 03-25-2001, 12:33 PM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

aye, I still remember I foolishly tried to play an insane dwarf who kills every mage he crosses in BGI... I didnt get far then...
Old 03-26-2001, 01:01 PM   #5
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I get somewhat Nastalgic when I think of the good old days... fighting the "Lowly" hoards of Kobolds, and trying to beat such superior beings as the dread wolf.
I marvelled at the 4,000 xp I got off the Cloakwood mines Boss. (anyone got a name here, I am thinking D*****L)... I just remembered it as I typed the question - Daveorn.
It was good, but BG2 and so on are still very good games. Perhaps they should restart the franchise in a different setting, with a different setting.

------------------

"Watch your back" - Sylent
Master Thief of the OHF
Old 03-26-2001, 02:16 PM   #6
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Yeah, I agree with 250 (wei, your name is?). I miss the days when a Fireball was often the first strike and the deciding factor, when summoned creatures actually did something other than die and when lightning bolts would rebound and kill your party in moments.
Now, we have Death Spells and the ability to Summon Denizens from the lower planes and pack the power to level an entire Drow City and still thirst for more blood to please the dark EXP god.
Whatever happened to the days when getting Spiderbane was cause for celebration?
And it appears that even high powered weapons like Crom Faeyr and the Vorpal Blade are'nt enough, because they want MORE in Throne of Bhaal.
I think I'll go back to hitting kobolds with daggers and fists instead of blasting, shooting, stabbing, smashing, burning, melting and cutting off their heads and hacking up their bodies into flying gibs.
Yey.

------------------
Why?
Old 03-26-2001, 04:14 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Lifetime, you never gave me that email.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old 03-26-2001, 04:19 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Lifetime, how old were you again?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-26-2001).]