Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
Stratos
Vampire

The war in Iraq wasn't very popular in Spain to begin with.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #12
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
The war in Iraq wasn't very popular in Spain to begin with.
True. But the train bombings certainly seemed to exacerbate the feelings of 'why the f**k are we there?' among Spanish voters.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

You know I have been a dedicated action in Iraq fan since Saddam initially flouted the UN resolutions and cease fire agreement in '91, but this beheading, unlike the past dozen or so, has really changed my mind about the situation.

Thank goodness they killed another person in such a brutal and disgusting manner to teach me that they should be allowed to rule, as they see fit, where ever and whenever they see fit.

It all makes sense now...

What was I thinking before?

Why didn't they just cut this guy's head off thirteen years ago?

[ 09-23-2004, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-22-2004, 12:02 AM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Okay, Ronn, that was a really good post. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I need to quit cheering you on, though.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #15
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
This is just sad. The trouble is that the terrorrists won't even achieve anything with their totally unnecessary violence as no government has given in to terrorism for a long time now, IIRC.
How many Phillipine forces are in Iraq?? [/QUOTE]OK, I admit I was wrong there, (that's why I put IIRC) but I meant in a more broader way that the governments most targeted by terrorism in Iraq haven't given in to terrorrists lately (Britain and the US).

And in a strict sense Spain did not give in to the terrorrists but to its own people.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #16
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

from the AP

AMMAN, Jordan (AP) The spiritual leader of a militant group that claimed to have beheaded two American hostages in Iraq has been killed in a U.S. airstrike, and his Jordanian family is preparing a wake, a newspaper and Islamic clerics said Wednesday.

Sheik Abu Anas al-Shami, 35, was killed when a missile hit the car he was traveling in on Friday in the west Baghdad suburb of Abu-Ghraib, said the clerics, who have close ties to the family. They spoke on condition of anonymity.

Al-Shami was a close aide to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of the militant group Tawhid and Jihad. The al-Qaida-linked group is blamed for some of the biggest attacks in Iraq, including the bombing of the U.N. headquarters last year, and the beheadings of foreign hostages including two Americans this week.

Al-Zarqawi is believed to have personally decapitated the American hostage Eugene Armstrong on Monday.

Al-Shami, a Jordanian of Palestinian descent who was also known as Omar Yousef Jumah, was believed to be the voice on several audio tapes that Tawhid and Jihad released via the Internet. In one such tape in August, a speaker identified as al-Shami said the militants planned to kill Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, soldiers and police officers.

''We will not allow you to destroy our hopes in this blessed holy war, and we will not let you steal our bright tomorrow, which is now appearing on the horizon,'' the speaker said on the tape....

In the late 1990s, the government closed down an Islamic center that al-Shami had established in Amman on grounds that it was propagating a fanatical interpretation of Islam, according to the clerics and Al-Ghad newspaper.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #17
Stratos
Vampire

al-Zarqawi and the rest will probably meet the same fate sooner or later.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #18
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

*nods* hopefully their "spiritual leader" will be leading the rest of them to the spirit world soon, guess I echoed you, *chuckle*

... umm.. hey look a distraction

[img]graemlins/outtahere.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #19
dplax
Jack Burton

It seems that the british hostage is still alive:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/3681224.stm

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #20
Stratos
Vampire

Unfortunately, there's not much to do about the kidnappings and executions, except to tell foreigners in Iraq to be on alert and to continue looking for these criminals.

[ 09-22-2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]