Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 10:37 PM   #51
Jorath Calar
Harper

Actually the US Base here is very small these days and only shrinking, only 4 F15 jets here and they laid off lot off Icelandic workers (including a friend of mine) and many of the troops were restationed to Iraq.

It was huge though during the cold war... anyone read Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy? I read it as a kid and was terrified... Russian invasion in my country?! [img]smile.gif[/img]

And oh yeah I was joking about the 52nd... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2004, 11:20 PM   #52
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Dude, fully come to New Zealand.

Nicest

Place

Ever! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #53
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Hiero - What is New Zealand actually like? If Blair is still PM after the next UK general election I want to be as far away from here as possible.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:43 AM   #54
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Meg- depends where you are really. The North Island is more metropolitan, with larger cities and a more 'yuppy' mindset. The South Island is more rural on the whole, but I wouldn't call it 'backwards'.

I'm a born-n'-bred southerner, and the city I live in is a real University town, so it's pretty cultured and vibrant for its population (120,000). (Ok, I'm really starting to feel like an advertiser for the tourism board now... )

You're from England right? Well, from what I could tell when I was over there last March the big difference between NZ and Britain is that in NZ the cities are much more isolated from each other. NZ is certainly a highly 'nationalised' country, but you can literally drive for hours on the highway without encountering any significant human settlements, particularly in the South Island. It's a hiker's paradise. One of the last bastions of wilderness on the planet. But still highly developed in the urban centres.

If you're a tourist, then the whole country has a huge amount to offer in terms of sights and experiences. But if you want to actually emigrate here then the three NZ cities I would recommend are Auckland, Wellington (the Capital, and incidentally my favourite city on the planet that I've been to so far), Christchurch and Dunedin. And if you want to study here, then Dunedin is a must. The entire city pretty much revolves around students and there is a very large 'international student' population here. It's an awesome cultural melting pot.

This is kinda ironic really, my sister lives in London and I'm hoping to move to England once I'm a fully qualified high school teacher. Any idea what job vacancies are like for a highly-enthusiastic english/history/classical studies teacher over there? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-04-2004, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 11-04-2004, 04:14 AM   #55
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Well no one else is gonna say it so...

Come to Malaysia...

We don't have a great deal to boast about, but its nice and warm!

And safe as well! Not many rapes or murders or what not... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #56
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Tell you what... why don't we trade places ? You can have my appartment, and i'll live in your house. If you're still with your parents, that's okay, once they have met me they wanna move too.
sure johnny, we can trade places, you can come live here by all the old geezers who do not look good in a bikini, and it floods every time it rains, and I will live in your apartment [/QUOTE]Erm....Arkansas.... if he lives overthere it's no deal, i hear you guys don't even have a dental plan overthere.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:42 AM   #57
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
Hiero - What is New Zealand actually like? If Blair is still PM after the next UK general election I want to be as far away from here as possible.
I havn't been there but New Zealand is hard to beat for it's sheer beauty. Look at LotR! Pretty amazing landscape. Athough Cape Breton, here in Nova Scotia was voted most scenic spot in the world, or at least North America. That's a value judgment, but it is very nice. I guess you just get it all here, beatiful mountains, huge forests, miles and miles of flat land, tonnes of fresh water, very warm weather and bitter cold too! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 07:17 AM   #58
Har'oloth
Manshoon

man, buy some huge pile of sand and build your own land somewhere in the pacific!
works fine or else go to the netherlands!
most of us hate bush but we love to vote on kerry because he's the lesser evil

come to JONAS island full of sand and sand, but no bushes, only trees (palmtrees like the bounty commercials)
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #59
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
quote:
Tell you what... why don't we trade places ? You can have my appartment, and i'll live in your house. If you're still with your parents, that's okay, once they have met me they wanna move too.
sure johnny, we can trade places, you can come live here by all the old geezers who do not look good in a bikini, and it floods every time it rains, and I will live in your apartment [/QUOTE]Erm....Arkansas.... if he lives overthere it's no deal, i hear you guys don't even have a dental plan overthere. [/QUOTE]yes we do, but you have to qualify for it, and chances are you being an imigrant you would get it faster than those of us who live here
Old 11-04-2004, 11:15 AM   #60
Jonas Strider
Manshoon

"consider norway though!!!! we have as many beautiful blond girls with big breats as the sweeds. and much more money"

Do you hear that Swedes and Aussies, bigger breasts and more money? Looks like a winner. Now how about New Zealand. Any beauties over there? I know the land looks great but a man has got to settle down sometimes with a nice woman.

(note: this post is just for fun. if i offend anyone in anyway, my apologies. just PM me.)