Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-19-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've had problems with AOL and AIM for the past few months. IMs send slowly and e-mails take up to 5 minutes to send instead of seconds. I got live help from AOL at least 8 times until 1 genius told me that updating my RAM from 256 to 512 would fix this problem. So I got and pay over $100 and...THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I'm really pissed off. I really really want help to help speed this problem up. I tried un-installing and re-installing AOL...no good. Please, don't give me a suggestion to ditch AOL and AIM and try something else...cuz I won't. Please help to fix this problem, I'm sick of it.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

The first thing to do is find out exactly where the problem is. That's not easy. Is your computer as a whole running slowly? Is it only when connected to the internet? Do pages take a long time to come up? Have you installed new software lately that could be running in the background? Like an Antivirus package?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Yeh, it could be some sort of virus or spyware. Make sure you clean out your system of all those nasty bits and bobs. Also, are you on dial up yeh? I mean I know it shouldn't take that long, but that occasionaly happened to me when I used to use AIM on dial-up.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I don't know why anyone uses AOL anyway.. It sucks. Go with an ISP that offers Cablemodem or DSL access. Millions of people have been leaving AOL for this reason. It's okay for people that don't know PC's at all, but AOL is slow, and email is a joke. They sell your email address to ALL spam groups the second you join. I know this, because the next day I joined I have an inbox FULL of email, and I had NEVER even used email or told anyone or website of it. (I used AOL for when I was on vacation for 2 weeks in 2002) For the local access numbers. LOL, I used the free 100 hours or whatever BS, and never had to pay, and canceled it right when I came home.

PS: Another bad thing about AOL. They limit your time! lol... what a joke. that is sooo 90's. Most ISP's give you unlimited access.

[ 08-19-2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 08-19-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I know you don't want to change, and I know I hate it when people tell me to change a software, but you have to believe us here.

AOL really suck. It's a crappy product mass marketed to computer neophytes. You are on a scooter and asking us why you can't keep up with a sport bike...

It's not just about preference, or bias toward AOL. It really suck.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I know you don't want to change, and I know I hate it when people tell me to change a software, but you have to believe us here.

AOL really suck. It's a crappy product mass marketed to computer neophytes. You are on a scooter and asking us why you can't keep up with a sport bike...

It's not just about preference, or bias toward AOL. It really suck.
lol [img]tongue.gif[/img] , as biased as that may sound...it's true...

Old 08-20-2004, 02:45 AM   #7
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
The first thing to do is find out exactly where the problem is. That's not easy. Is your computer as a whole running slowly? Is it only when connected to the internet? Do pages take a long time to come up? Have you installed new software lately that could be running in the background? Like an Antivirus package?
According to my task manager, I don't have any extra programs running in the background. My computer as a whole runs fine, it's just instant messaging and e-mails that run slow
I have a cable modem, and Ziroc, I have unlimited minutes.
If I get rid of AOL, I can just go use AIM for IMs and IE for web browsing. However, AIM has this slow IM problem as well.
The main reason that I don't wanna get rid of AOL is that I don't wanna have to change my e-mail and have to tell so many people about it. I'm aware that I can send an e-mail to all the people on my buddy list, but so many people on my buddy list don't even use AOL for me to send it directly to their screen name. It would just be a pain in the but.
I really can't figure out what the problem is, and I'm so tired of this. It's really getting on my nerves.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 08-20-2004, 05:49 AM   #8
philip
Galvatron

My AIM is going "normal fast" I don't notice any difference and it's not slow. So I think it would be a problem on your end?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

Seconded what the Z man said.

Cos AOL really does suck, I'm with BT Broadband at the moment, can't complain!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
quietman1920

AOL is a virus.