Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2002, 06:51 PM   #21
Encard
Quintesson

Interesting, very interesting.... defintiely going to be a hard choice... one question, though... What exactly is Arx Fatalis? I think I've heard the name before, but I have no idea what it actually is past that it's an RPG... would anyone be able to tell?
Old 03-23-2002, 07:26 PM   #22
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by TheThing:
I personally think this is a pretty cheapshot coming from Microsoft. First of all, I've never heard of Dungeon Siege until about two months ago, this game comes out of blue claiming similarity in design with NWN. It is meant to eat a portion of market shares from our the five-year-anitcipated game. It doesn't even need to advertise itself, because it is basically a substitution of NWN with only slight differences. and the formal has already spent so much effort on marketing and advertising.

Secondly it goes gold just about two months before NWN. For those who cannot wait to lay their hands on NWN, DS becomes a perfect timekiller. again, cheap, but very smart, I have to say.

well, my computer cannot run neither of them. so I am just bitching, I guess
Dungeon Siege has been in Dev as long as NWN has. And it's a VERY cool game. It also does 2 things NWN can't do= import textures and import your OWN 3D Models. This editor is cool, but I think NWN's will be easier to use, which is nice, I'll have fun with both! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I don't understand why people always have to pit something against something else--I personally feel LUCKY as hell this many RPG's are coming out.

PS: NWN Was supposed to come out last year, so don't try to say this was timed or something, because it was not.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 03-23-2002, 07:32 PM   #23
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
From my point of view, I hope Dungeon Siege plays a bit like an updated version of Darkstone

I have always been a bit of a hack'n'slash afficionado (Diablo I / Hellfire, Diablo II, Septerra Core etc.) If DS plays half as good as the press puff says it will then I for one will lay down my hard earned cash and buy it on release - currently 19th April here [img]smile.gif[/img]
It plays VERY much like Darkstone! and no loading.. awesome!

PS: I found the old Playstation 1 Darkstone game for $9.99--it plays the same, but the player interface is weird. PC version is MUCH better--Graphical wise too. (I'm playing it on my PS2, and bought Maximo today).

Old 03-23-2002, 07:34 PM   #24
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

BTW, You will be able to control up to EIGHT characters in your party PLUS a pack-mule for extra equipment slots!! TOTALLY cool.. Inventory screens are NICE too!

Old 03-23-2002, 07:38 PM   #25
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... 8? I thought it was 10... oh, well... hmm... would you happen to remember whether item generation is random or set? Hmm... wonder if I should have posted this on Dungeon Siege forum... but, yes, DS should be a pretty fancy game... hmm... let's see... NWN is coming out during the summer, right? If only I could find the release date for DD too... oh, well... *shrug*
Old 03-23-2002, 10:24 PM   #26
fable
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Farscry:
I have, however, been following all four of the other RPG's mentioned here very closely, and I can help you figure out which will appeal most to you!
Five. You left out Might and Magic IX, due out in a week. They're promising some big changes, including a major new engine that (from what I've seen) really looks great. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dungeon Siege: Unlike NWN, Dungeon Siege is almost completely action-oriented. Designed to have a seamless game world, party-based single/multiplayer game. In a sense, similar to the Diablo style of games (I mean that in a good way; the Diablo series has always been a casual-player-friendly action-RPG type of game, and Dungeon Siege looks to capture that feel).

Unless I'm mistaken, it's not Diablo-like at all. I asked Microsoft's PR about pausing in singleplayer mode, and they said it's handled just like BG2's. Which means you can stop the game anytime, give comamnds, swap items (between nearby party NPCs), change out weapons, etc.

I suspect all the "Realtime action!" stuff is just PR who-ha, not unlike the "It's an RPG!" stuff about the Diablo series. Diablo isn't RPG, but they already had the action market, so (the way I figure it) they decided to publicize it as an RPG and see if they could sell many extra units. And I think taking an RPG and publicizing it as an action game, is what they're doing to DS.

[ 03-23-2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: fable ]
Old 03-24-2002, 12:27 AM   #27
Farscry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Glad you're here to catch me on that, Fable! [img]smile.gif[/img] I DID forget M&M9, which also appears to be quite a solid game if the previous ones are any indication!

And thanks for the clarification on DS for the action-oriented stuff; I hadn't realized that it was being designed for turn-based folks as well with a pseudo-turn-based control system.

Good notes! (And that's why they DON'T pay me the big game journalist dollars!)

Farscry