Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 02:52 PM   #21
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Personally i believe in reincarnation. There is no definate answer one way or anothere about reincarnation or an after life you just have to believe that what you believe in is the answer. I know wiccans,buddism and several other religions believe in reincarnation whail all forms of cristianity/Islamic and related religions believe in an afterlife. The major point about religions is to try to answer your question whether there is life after death and what you have to do to get into the "good" people's part of it.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 10-01-2001, 02:57 PM   #22
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Ok. I'm back! Wait for the feathers to start flying, lol!

My own personal view first:

Just so you know where I’m coming from:
I do not know if there is a creator or not. Which makes me agnostic. But I have no belief whatever in any of the gods/religions mankind has ever created/worshipped. Which makes me atheist!

My view. Ok. So I believe that when we die we are dead. BUT – just as the lives of others have sustained us in our short lives, we ourselves will sustain yet more lives in our death. We are part of the eco-system of this planet, we have been part of it from its beginning and will continue to be part of it until it goes out of existence. Those elements that make up our bodies will be used to make other bodies, and were part of other bodies before we were conceived. In that sense all life is eternal.

Bible. If you want chapter and verse, ask me and I will provide them. Be warned – christian believers will contest every point I make!

Adam was created from the dust of the ground and god breathed into him the breath of life and Adam ‘became a living soul’. He wasn’t GIVEN a soul – he BECAME a soul when he started breathing.

He had the prospect of living forever as a human upon the earth. The Tree of Life was provided to ensure that he continued living forever.

No prospect of life in heaven was offered to mankind at this point, and Adam was told to fill the earth and care for it. That was the only prospect held open for them – eternal life on earth as ageless, sinless human beings.

After the fall, the option of eternal human life was lost. God provided a ransom to buy back what Adam had lost – eternal human life on earth. The Ransom was Jesus. Until the Ransomer was baptised, all who died were just dead, but God ‘remembered’ all of them, so he can raise them at the foretold time.

After the death and resurrection of Jesus, some from among humanity were to be given authority to rule with him as spirits in heaven. Most of humanity, however, even those dead, were to have the opportunity of everlasting life as sinless humans on earth.

After ‘The Great Day of God the Almighty’ , all ‘those in the memorial tombs will come out’ and be given the opportunity of whether to serve god and live forever on earth, or to deny god and enter ‘the second death’ from which there is no resurrection.

This is just a VERY brief outline of what the bible says on the matter, and practically no christian will agree with it.

I do. That's very good. You're right though. A great number of christian religions argue the fine points of what this means. King James is the hardest bible to read, but is probably more accurate than other newer bibles that have been translated from it. Even KJ contains text that has been translated innumerable times. As we all know there is always a little lost in a translation.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:17 PM   #23
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

This is a very good question. I, myself, believe in life after death but don't believe in god. I have great difficulty accepting that there is a divine being who can do everything and knows everything, but we're still stuck with this world! Whenever I think about all the evil there is in this world - wars, starvation, poverty to name just a few - I simply cannot believe that a good God would let all this happen without doing anything. That is just one of the reasons why I do not believe in God. (BTW, about the Adam and Eva thing: that has to be meant symbolically, it would not be possible. If we were all descended from two people, our civilization would have died of inbreeding.)
Reincarnation is a different thing. When I think of myself, I think of a very complex, manysided individual who even I do not understand fully. Every one of us is complex and unique. I cannot believe that our whole personality, all that we are is defined by little gray cells in our brain. There must be something more to us than that. This of course touches onto another subject 0 what are we, what is our consciousness? Personally I think that we must have a kind of "spirit" which develops, inhabiting our body until its death, then being reborn in a new one. However, more discussion about this would steer the thread completely off topic. I realize that some of the aspects I mentioned here may be offensive to some people's views and beliefs, I really do not want to offend anyone.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Guardian of the Temple of Aerie (specialized in GenCon and BG)
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Old 10-01-2001, 03:22 PM   #24
Dramnek_Ulk

some from of life after death is promised by most religions, to satisfy our desire for immortality as many people find it very hard to accept that there is nothing and that they will end one day. Unfortunatly eternal life is just wishful thinking, death is death is death.

------------------
Hear no evil, speak no evil
See no evil, feel no evil
Dream no evil, fear no evil
Touch no evil, taste no evil
All I see and hear is evil
All I think and feel is evil

Old 10-01-2001, 03:24 PM   #25
Conan

Quote:
Originally posted by boowinstheday:
Sorry to trouble everyone... the only reason why I'm asking this question is that it's been plaguing me for as long as nineteen years, and I think it's about time I tried to find some answers.

Thanks!
You are not causing any trouble Boowinstheday. Your saying your 19 years old and you have important questions. As you can see the people of IW are not shy in giving you their humble opinions either Welcome to the board.
I will not answer your 2 questions here and now but I would only like to help steer you to finding that answer out for yourself. The majority here do not beleive there is. Many think that there is but mybe just havent posted yet. You will be more confused than when you asked mybe...but the fact you are asking proves to me that your self awareness is growing with you. Answers lay in your past experiences as well as future ones also. I say look for it and tell us what you find out.(Can I be evasive or what ) Shake off mans traditions and rules. What do you think?

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 10-01-2001, 04:26 PM   #26
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Always remember though. Everyone has their own opinions. Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one and all of them but yours stinks!
Old 10-01-2001, 05:18 PM   #27
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Im an Aetheist and im pretty openminded and not sure but heres something you might be interested in. The law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created or destroyes but moves from one form to another. How that relates to what is referred to a soul I dont know but there you go.

My main point though is, Does it really matter a damn one way or the other?. Theres no point worrying about it, you will find out eventually and more importantly we are here now, we live for now, this is our time and we should not waste it by worrying about things nobody can actually know. Life is fleeting dont waste it, live it, for now is all we really have.

------------------
Old 10-01-2001, 05:33 PM   #28
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

fljotsdale is pretty good at scrambling brains - watch out for her post and argue with it. it'll help you to merge your desires with logic
Cheek!

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:40 PM   #29
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I do. That's very good. You're right though. A great number of christian religions argue the fine points of what this means. King James is the hardest bible to read, but is probably more accurate than other newer bibles that have been translated from it. Even KJ contains text that has been translated innumerable times. As we all know there is always a little lost in a translation.
Actually, Sir Kenyth, the King James isn't that good a translation. It was seriously influenced by King James' opinions, even though he did not personally write it.
Modern translations that use the oldest texts and compare them for accuracy are way the best. But avoid 'paraphrased' bibles - they are more readable, but are also more liable to distortion by the beliefs of the translators.

------------------

Old 10-01-2001, 05:43 PM   #30
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
This is a very good question. I, myself, believe in life after death but don't believe in god. I have great difficulty accepting that there is a divine being who can do everything and knows everything, but we're still stuck with this world! Whenever I think about all the evil there is in this world - wars, starvation, poverty to name just a few - I simply cannot believe that a good God would let all this happen without doing anything. That is just one of the reasons why I do not believe in God. (BTW, about the Adam and Eva thing: that has to be meant symbolically, it would not be possible. If we were all descended from two people, our civilization would have died of inbreeding.)
Reincarnation is a different thing. When I think of myself, I think of a very complex, manysided individual who even I do not understand fully. Every one of us is complex and unique. I cannot believe that our whole personality, all that we are is defined by little gray cells in our brain. There must be something more to us than that. This of course touches onto another subject 0 what are we, what is our consciousness? Personally I think that we must have a kind of "spirit" which develops, inhabiting our body until its death, then being reborn in a new one. However, more discussion about this would steer the thread completely off topic. I realize that some of the aspects I mentioned here may be offensive to some people's views and beliefs, I really do not want to offend anyone.

Don't worry, Kaz! Your opinion is as good as anyone else's! After all, we won't know till we're dead - maybe not even then, lol!

------------------