Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-14-2001, 06:35 AM   #141
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
This is in response to Donut also

First of all to make the statement that the majority of Americans are uninformed of world affairs, just b/c you have met a few Americans or have traveled to America is absolutely ridiculous...that is why I made the sarcastic comment above. I have been to England and throughout Europe and have met many, many people through my travels, and I am willing to say, for every American that you can find that is uninformed or does not care about world affairs, that I can find one person in Europe also!

My sister-in-laws boyfriend thought that Minnesota was a province in Canada

A flat-mate of my friend, that I stayed with in London, asked if I could see the Rocky Mountains from my apartment when I told him I lived in a highrise in Minnepolis

Again you cannot base your 'majority' opinion of a nation on the basis of having met a handful of Americans...likewise neither can I for Europe!

And Kaz, knowing what is going on in the rest of Europe is not the same as knowing about what is going on in the rest of the world! I could say the same thing about New Yorkers knowing about what is going on in California...while they are states rather than countries, their distance is far greater and their peoples are probably almost as diverse!

As you may know Moridin I have travelled extensively in the US. I have been on holiday there 11 times (once for 3 months) and have visited over 20 of the states. I have travelled by Greyhound bus and Amtrak and have met with hundreds of Americans so I have seen a good cross section. Some are stupid, some are very intelligent, and the rest are in between. That's the same for any country.

95% were very friendly, very outgoing people and I fully intend to revisit many times. Perhaps I'll get west of Little Rock this time.

But as much as I love the people there I have to say that one of the things which has really struck me is that most of them (that means not all) are ill informed about the outside world. They are quite open about this. They don't need to know so they are not interested.

I have to disagree awith your comment about the Brits. On balance we are more aware of the outside world. Although I must admit that most of the people I spoke to in the pub last night didn't know that the capital of the US was New York.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-14-2001, 07:59 AM   #142
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:

I have to disagree awith your comment about the Brits. On balance we are more aware of the outside world. Although I must admit that most of the people I spoke to in the pub last night didn't know that the capital of the US was New York.

LOL! That *was* a joke, right? I'm more than a bit tired, so I might have missed something. HEHE

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-14-2001, 08:03 AM   #143
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
LOL! That *was* a joke, right? I'm more than a bit tired, so I might have missed something. HEHE

I wouldn't have been so sure if it was someone else who said it, but since it was Donut, that was most definitely a joke!
BTW: Hi Nachtrafe!! Good to see you here

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 08:06 AM   #144
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I wouldn't have been so sure if it was someone else who said it, but since it was Donut, that was most definitely a joke!
BTW: Hi Nachtrafe!! Good to see you here

*SMOOCH* Thanks Mel. Good to be here. And look...*Points at pic* I'm a Dungeon Master now. HEHEHE

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

Old 09-14-2001, 08:15 AM   #145
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:

Just my dry British sense of humour. It's Washington, on the west coast, near Seattle isn't it?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 09-14-2001, 08:25 AM   #146
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
*SMOOCH* Thanks Mel. Good to be here. And look...*Points at pic* I'm a Dungeon Master now. HEHEHE

Yay! Congrats!!!

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 08:26 AM   #147
Link
Jack Burton

Why don't you congratulate me for being Red Wizard of Thay, Mel??
*cries out loud*

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Old 09-14-2001, 08:26 AM   #148
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Just my dry British sense of humour. It's Washington, on the west coast, near Seattle isn't it?
Oh, yes - definitely!!!

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

*Newly abducted - er, inducted - member of the HADB clan. Mage extraordinair.*
Old 09-14-2001, 08:44 AM   #149
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah...Washington...HEHEHEHEHEHE.
That must mean that the guy we've been seeing on TV is really Bill Gates. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 08:50 AM   #150
Absynthe

Quote:

Snohomish, Washington, to be exact! I am impressed by your command of geography and politics, Donut. So few realize the power base of the free world is actually a hamlet of 10,000 in a small valley...