Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-06-2001, 02:08 PM   #21
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Guess you haven't read many threads then Sentinel. I'd say it's just you. Gotta dig deep to find meaning in life and same with a forum. There have been very meaningful discussions, conversations, arguments and sharing. Before you make a "high and mighty" statement like this I suggest you familiarise yourself with that which you are critiquing.

Thanks for reading.
If you look at his post Yorick, he did state that SOME are a little short on intellectual content, not ALL! And I have to agree with him. I guess that is people's choice though and I am not obliged to join in.

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-06-2001, 02:20 PM   #22
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:

Guess you haven't read many threads then Sentinel. I'd say it's just you. Gotta dig deep to find meaning in life and same with a forum. There have been very meaningful discussions, conversations, arguments and sharing. Before you make a "high and mighty" statement like this I suggest you familiarise yourself with that which you are critiquing.

Thanks for reading.

See now this was what I was afraid would happen. I just wanted to make a simple observation. I didn't say anything negative. I tried to be as non-trollish(heh nope that's not a real word) as I could. Oh well. I did state that I liked the boards, that everyone was nice(and they are), because I do.

I repeat: I did not pass judgement. I made an observation.

Thanks

PS. Moni: Will do . I'm a student working at my college's library, so I have a lot of time to waste at work. I'm looking forward to reading stuff there, thanks.

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel04 (edited 04-06-2001).]
Old 04-06-2001, 02:32 PM   #23
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
Have you ever tried to run a group discussion, taught a class, or organized a meeting?

BK
As a high school teacher, discussions and class are 1/2 my life. I look at the boards like this. The General Discussion is like passing time. The time when all of my students gather in the hallways to discuss -- well whatever's on their mind. Fortunately this board is much more mature than discussing who's dating whom and why he doesn't like me anymore. The other forums like the W&W, IWD, and BG2 forums are like class time. Discussion stays on topic as everyone is involved in learning about the topic. Yes, there are brief moments where you whisper quietly to your neighbor, but then it's back to work.

That's my analogy. I hope it's not comparing apples to oranges.

Old 04-06-2001, 02:37 PM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel04:
See now this was what I was afraid would happen. I just wanted to make a simple observation. I didn't say anything negative. I tried to be as non-trollish(heh nope that's not a real word) as I could. Oh well. I did state that I liked the boards, that everyone was nice(and they are), because I do.

I repeat: I did not pass judgement. I made an observation.

Thanks

Sentinel, why post an opinion if you can't handle a counter. I didn't flame, or show aggression, I merely disagreed strongly - which I still do - and used your own words to emphasise a point. Hardly anything to be "afraid" of. I've contributed to and read many many substancial threads of interest and enrichment, and never seen the name Sentinel replying to any of them, which would indicate that you probably haven't read any of them.

Moridin, you and I both know that though some threads may be nonsubstancial, there are plenty that are. The topic title implies that none are: "Are there any threads here actually productive?" The answer IMHO is yes.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-06-2001, 02:50 PM   #25
Sentinel04
The Magister

Yorrick,

I guess I made a mistake. When you said I was being "high and mighty", I thought that was kind of negative. But, if you say it wasn't than that's cool.

Anyway, I guess 'afraid' is not a good way of describing things. What I meant was, I didn't want anyone to take this personally. See, that's why I was trying to be nice in my original post. I guess 'afraid' is a little to strong.

I'm just too used to other 'general' boards. Usually there's a lot of, uh, damn, uh, more, *things* being talked about. I have noticed this is a fairly tight community, so you guys feel really comfortable talking about whatever, and that's cool.

Also, I've been reading this board for about a month, and the others just as long. I guess I was a 'lurker'.

oh well, I hope I've explained things adequitly.

------------------

Old 04-06-2001, 02:53 PM   #26
Moiraine
Anubis

That's OK, Sentinel, now don't go back to lurking all the time, will ya ?

Post, post ! There is nothing more gloomy that a dead Board !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-06-2001, 02:57 PM   #27
Sentinel04
The Magister

Will do Moraine .

One question for ya though, of the 3 first Wheel of Time novels, which do you like best? See, I just finished the first two, and am waiting for the third.

------------------

Old 04-06-2001, 02:58 PM   #28
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:

I'm just too used to other 'general' boards. Usually there's a lot of, uh, damn, uh, more, *things* being talked about. I have noticed this is a fairly tight community, so you guys feel really comfortable talking about whatever, and that's cool.
Like what?

We've discussed religion, cultural differences, obsevations on new places, and music tastes and discoveries. We've shared poetry, works of prosaic fiction, and art. We've contibuted to chain stories, helped each other through depression, relationship breakups, surgery trepidation, career issues, relationship difficulties, childrens accidents, loneliness and nonacceptance, cricket and more cricket, books and why Ed Greenwood shouldn't write, dreams about what unlimited cash would bring, movies, life, life life.

What other "things" could you possibly mean Sentinel?

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-06-2001, 03:03 PM   #29
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Will do Moraine .

One question for ya though, of the 3 first Wheel of Time novels, which do you like best? See, I just finished the first two, and am waiting for the third.

I am currently deep in the 9th WOT book 'Winter's Heart' - I don't remember exactly what was in which of them, but I think that every book is better than the next - except maybe the 8th book 'Path of Daggers' which was decidedly very very gloomy, and in which Jordan kept piling new characters and new plots without getting out of old ones. Very dense, very complex - very difficult to remember who is who, so many characters. I can only hope that, as Jordan has set the line so high, he won't disappoint in the last book ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-06-2001, 03:17 PM   #30
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Like what?

We've discussed religion, cultural differences, obsevations on new places, and music tastes and discoveries. We've shared poetry, works of prosaic fiction, and art. We've contibuted to chain stories, helped each other through depression, relationship breakups, surgery trepidation, career issues, relationship difficulties, childrens accidents, loneliness and nonacceptance, cricket and more cricket, books and why Ed Greenwood shouldn't write, dreams about what unlimited cash would bring, movies, life, life life.

What other "things" could you possibly mean Sentinel?

Well, for instance, I used to read the Everlore General Message Board a lot. There, almost all their topics were on politics, or religion. Now, while I'm not questioning the relevance or quality of the topics here, I'm just saying most General Message boards I go to are more serious. That's it. They aren't better, they're just more serious. Posts here are saturated with light hearted threads among friends. I think it's cool the posters here can be that personal, it isn't the norm(of what I've seen anyway). It's my opinion.

Do you argue just to argue?

------------------