Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2001, 01:21 PM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I have absolutely not idea if number 1 or 2 are true, but I've heard that SOMEONE, not sure who though, has said on television that the attack was punishment from god for allowing homosexuals, feminists and others to live in America, pretty sick.

That would be Jerry Falwell, Neb. He's come under CONSIDERABLE verbal fire for having said that, and I think he's backed down, but it's a little late and a dollar short, if you know what I mean. Both he and Pat Robertson have basically "cooked their geese" with their bigoted, mean-hearted statements.

I am reproducing here an editorial which appeared in my local paper, the Denton Record-Chronicle, yesterday, about such statements; this one specifically about Pat Robertson's inflammatory remarks.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

American Ayatollah

The Denton Record-Chronicle
September 14, 2001
Staff Writer

In a week filled with unbelievable images and events, one of the most unbelievable of all was the sight of television evangelist Pat Robertson intimating on international television Wednesday night that Tuesday's attack on American is a divine retribution against the United States.

What Mr. Robertson seemed to be saying was that God was punishing America for not living up to His precepts, and that America was deserving of this "punishment."

We would like to think that Mr. Robertson, like so many of us this week, simply got swept away by his emotions in a moment of weakness, saying something that he did not really mean. Unfortunately, his comments are not unprecedented. It was Mr. Robertson, you may remember, who boasted a few yars ago about praying a hurricane away from his Atlantic Coast headquarters, failing, we might add, to explain why he didn't just pray it away altogether instaed of allowing to wreak death and destruction upon his fellow human beings farther up the coast.

We are not theologians here; we are mere ink-stained wretches who have had more occasion than usual this week to contemplate God's will. But to imply for even a second that the faceless cowards who sent thousands of innocent Americans to their deaths on Tuesday were doing God's work seems to us very close to blasphemy. It is the same argument that the perpetrators of this act will use if they are ever brought to book for their deeds.

God deliver us from so-called leaders who profess to know exactly what is on His mind. The madmen who masterminded the Children's Crusade in the 11th century knew exactly what God wanted them to do, and they did it, sending thousands of innocent children to their deaths. Tomas de Torquemada knew exactly what God wanted him to do in 1475, and his Inquisition lasted the better part of a hundred years. God spoke directly to John Brown, Jim Jones, David Koresh, the Ayatollah Khomeini, and the leaders of the Taliban. They all knew exactly what God wanted them to do.

So does Pat Robertson.

There has never been a greater need for prayer in this country. May we humbly suggest that when we go to our knees this week, we include a word of thanks to God for those great, good men who crafted the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, guaranteeing religious liberty to all, but also prohibiting the establishment of a state religion.

We need no Ayatollahs here.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 09-15-2001).]
Old 09-15-2001, 01:27 PM   #22
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
I have absolutely not idea if number 1 or 2 are true, but I've heard that SOMEONE, not sure who though, has said on television that the attack was punishment from god for allowing homosexuals, feminists and others to live in America, pretty sick.

Pretty sick indeed... If this guy is really right, I'm in the worst place possible at the moment, the Netherlands, cause we allow even more than the Americans... :uhoh:
But as I said, it's sick someone would say something like this...
Old 09-15-2001, 05:39 PM   #23
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
Don't worry, I know that you didn't bash Canada in any way shape or form. I was just having a little episode of much needed light headed humor

The smilies should of given that away. But, as you said, sometime it's harder to make your point on paper (or on a screen) . I don't think of American (or others) as ignorant. It's just that many have a misconception of Canada and the way we live.

It's funy sometime. On the third day of the crisis, CNN finaly clued in that Canada had over 400 flights that were destinied to the US. They interviewed our Prime Minister and the interviewer asked in a tone that was pretty much insinuating all that I said in my previous post if we were able to effectively care for poor straded Americans.

Like I said, I was just joking... I sure was insinuating anything out of it

BTW: the phone call to Toronto came in the second night... not the first.

OK Ryanamur, no worries! Glad to hear you weren't angry at me, I just wasn't sure. Anyway, all cleared up, no big deal. Actually, now kinda funny in retrospect

I still gotta wonder about that caller though, they haven't rescued anyone today

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 05:57 PM   #24
Ladyzekke

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
LOL! Yeah good one Ladyzekke. I suppose next you'll be telling us they have cars, electricity and live in houses with central heating. Pull the other one!

You lost me with that last sentence
Oh, and

------------------
Old 09-15-2001, 06:04 PM   #25
Ladyzekke

JJ - Thanks for the info. Again, I still don't think that guy has been rescued, if he's in a 2nd floor basement, no way. Does anyone know how many floors down these buildings have? I have to wonder how many may have survived because they were underground. Is heartbreaking if that is the case, because there is just SO much they have to remove before even thinking of digging belowground. They are trying their best though, I have to commend all the rescue workers for their outstanding efforts, some of them even sleep on the street rather than go home, so they can get up first thing in the morning when the sun rises so that they can go again.

Sazarac - I hadn't heard about Pat Roberson, only Falwell, but sounds like they both said similar things. Outrageous is an understatement!

------------------