Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 10:38 AM   #11
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
It's an employers market right now. They are getting people with significant experience and/or educations for around 27K a year starting in some fields. People getting laid off from blue collar work are having their worlds turned upside down when they find out they got an education to get a cut in pay at a new job!
Yep! I know what you mean. I'm in that situation right now. I've seen people with BA's and BS's applying for 10 dollar an hour jobs! It's impossible to compete with that.

*SIGH* I'm looking for work myself right now, and my experience is, Cloudy's advice is right on. Just be yourself. I mean, *you* can tell when someone's handing you a line of crap, right? So can the HR guy/gal who's interviewing you.

DM...great advice! I found that out the hard way a while back. If you go into the interview totally ignorant of who you're working for, it shows. I know that when I was on the other side of the desk, I was always more interested in prospective employees who at least made an effort to be informed.

I was dropping of an app the other day at a local book store(one that I have been a patron of, back in Idaho, for a long time) and ended up talking with the manager, informally, for about 20 minutes. We had a nice conversation, just chatting, and I was up front about some less than favorable things regarding my job history. But, by just fessing up and being honest, I think I made a good impression. At least, I hope so, since I've got an interview with her on Monday.

*tosses [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] on the table and wanders off to scour the want ads some more before his (other) interview this afternoon*

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"