Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #21
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Okay...now my face is REALLY red. But only because I've even heard *men* refer to the valve cover gasket as the "head gasket", so it's not entirely my fault.

I was not aware they were *supposed* to be two different things. And yes, *I* was thinking it was the same when giving my advice.

So henceforth, I shall withhold my advice on these matters lest I give more support to the idea that women know nothing about cars or engines. *sigh*
Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM   #22
YeRFDoG
The Magister

Lots of good points in here, especially from Animal IMHO.

Couple of things i reckon need to be stressed however:

There must have been a reason for the gasket to blow in the first place.
Use new head bolts! You dont want the new gasket to blow again straight away!

To answer you directly Intrepid, prices for head gasket replacement are something like $1500-2000 Australian...

And i would be pretty skeptical about buying a car, however cheap, with a blown head gasket, as there must have been a reason for it to blow in the first place

What sort of car/engine is it?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #23
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No worries, Lady Sedai. The first time I took my 72 Nova in to get the head gasket changed, the mechanic looked at me funny and asked me to show him what I wanted replaced. Then he educated me [img]smile.gif[/img]

As you can see, I learned a little bit from that. And now, you are ready to go humiliate those nancy-boy men who think they know more about cars than you do [img]smile.gif[/img]

BTW, by the time I got to the fourth head gasket replacement, I learned another lesson. A "head gasket kit" came with the three (or four) needed gasket and a new set of valves (I think). If I just bought the gaskets, the price dropped from $33 to $12. Although I did have quite a nice collection of brand new Datsun 310 valves...

Brought in a different friend to help me with that one...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:44 PM   #24
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

1990 Mitsubishi Magna Elite TP, 2.6L fuel injected, overhead cam, 4 cylinder.
226,000 km

I bought it for $300 AUD, and it is fine, i took it to a friend mechanic and he said if in fact it was the head gasket it wasn't a major leak, he suggested i leave it for a thorough check up though, anyway he offered the head gasket job for $700 if nessicary.
It's just i'd rather not pay more in repairs than i did for the car, so i might just leave it if it isn't critical, i mean the car does blow a little damp, white smoke, but as long as i keep a regular eye on the temp, oil and coolant level it should be ok.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:42 PM   #25
Har'oloth
Manshoon

man, we got some engineers here!
when you let it replace the repair costs are alway greater then the costs of the parts!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:59 PM   #26
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I would not. A blown head gasket is the equivalent of a heart attack for cars. It bespeaks an engine that's had it's time. One that's dying. Most head gaskets fail due to some form of overheating damage. Overheating usually occurs over time from low coolant usually caused by a slow leak. Temperature gauges are notoriously inaccurate if the coolant is low, but not critical. Warped/cracked heads are just the most visible damage. The main and throw bearings could be well out of specs now. Loose bearings cause low oil pressure and/or leaks which in turn unduly wears the engine and causes excess heat from friction.

I unknowingly bought a used car that had suffered a blown gasket from overheating and poor maintenance. Luckily, I got a warranty and watched the oil pressure. They had to replace every crankshaft bearing and the piston rings before the oil pressure was back in the green.

I helped one kid replace a blown head gasket and he threw a rod less than four months later. A lack of regular maintenance was the culprit for the engines poor condition.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #27
quietman1920

Back in college, I helped a friend build down his girlfriend's 4-cylander GM engine to the block to change the head gasket. It took days. And then when we built it back up, it had zero compression (bad). So we built it back down again. And again. And again. And again. Finally, hwen we built it down the last time, we took a ruler out to see if the block was affected. The ruler could not be laid flat on the block (She had Warped the surface of the Block!!! It was a Solid Steel block. Do you have any idea how much punishment you have to put a Solid Steel block through to warp its surface? Its equivolent to a tank's Armor Plate).

I stopped, put my ratchet down and said to him in my calmest voice, "Mark, you're going to need a new engine. And maybe some driving lessons for your girlfriend."
Old 08-26-2004, 05:12 PM   #28
Arvon
Unicorn

Oh you're talking about cars...I thought you were talking about those paper thingies in the 'head'.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 08-27-2004, 05:16 PM   #29
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
1990 Mitsubishi Magna Elite TP, 2.6L fuel injected, overhead cam, 4 cylinder.
226,000 km

I bought it for $300 AUD, and it is fine, i took it to a friend mechanic and he said if in fact it was the head gasket it wasn't a major leak, he suggested i leave it for a thorough check up though, anyway he offered the head gasket job for $700 if nessicary.
It's just i'd rather not pay more in repairs than i did for the car, so i might just leave it if it isn't critical, i mean the car does blow a little damp, white smoke, but as long as i keep a regular eye on the temp, oil and coolant level it should be ok.
Have a leakdown test performed on the head to verify if it's the head that's the problem.

And YES, even a small leak will cause big problems. There's a reason why the oil and coolant are seperate!