Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #251
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Oh stop being an idiot.. Look at the 3rd bullet in the very thing you quoted.

"LET'S NOT ARGUE ABOUT SEMANTICS".

The meaning behind the words are blatant, whether they are bipeds or not, the point remains the same.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #252
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
The other situation happened to our former pastor on a mission trip last year. They rented a Jeep which had an electric drivers side window that stopped working. It didn't really matter 'cos it's always so hot there anyway. On the 4th day of their trip they were in an area of excessive violence, crime, theft etc. They did not want to leave the vehicle unattended with the window being all the way down.
One of the people said "let's pray over the window; that The Lord will fix it"! Even the pastor raised an eyebrow at this, but decided to do it anyway. No sooner did they finish praying, that they tried the window. They pushed the button and it went right up with no problem and continued to work from that point on.
I swear at my computer when it doesn't work, then try it again and it does. It's happened on more than one occasion. Elecrtics are unpredictable. Sometimes it seems you just need to poke 'em once more and it works. Sorry, but I can't see a faulty window button working as a sign of a higher power.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #253
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

that quote, lets not argue about semantics, is an example of one way to use the word. And calling someone an idiot is a personal attack. Let's keep it civil.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #254
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
that quote, lets not argue about semantics, is an example of one way to use the word. And calling someone an idiot is a personal attack. Let's keep it civil.
Just because you're being passive aggressive by purposefully being pedantic doesn't mean you aren't just as bad as me calling you an idiot directly. The only difference is I was blatant and you were trying to be a little more clandestine in your trouble stirring. But yes, it's a usage of the word, well done. I have utmost respect for Variol, Cerek, Yorick and the others for contributing to this debate, but it annoys me when these tangents break down the running of, what I'd be comfortable in saying, is the most interesting thread I've seen on Ironworks in the 7 years I've been on here.

That's the last post I'll have on this, yet another de-railment. This thread has been too successful for it to break down in petty squabbles.

Last edited by Beaumanoir; 09-10-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #255
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

My appologies that my comments offended you, and were deemed irrelevant by you, Beaumanoir. Your response to Yorick implied, to my understanding, that there was debate as to the meanings of the words in question. You then said that such debate is a waste of time. In my mind, debate over the meanings of words is not a waste of time. If common meaning cannot be found logical and proper discussion is almost impossible. If you've found my comments to be a distraction rather than a contribution you have my sincerist appologies.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #256
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Haha, and now you've made me feel 6 inches tall by taking the high ground. Friends?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #257
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

I don't see why not.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #258
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

It's pretty great isn't it? We can have a little spat, and yes, sometimes go too far. We are passionate about what we feel, but in the end, I think we care about and respect each other and their views.

I really don't get offended by this sort of thing. I did feel like I was getting a little beat up about 3-4 pages back, but Yorick's PM really helped.

So, what do you think of some of the muslims' response to the comic? (for those who have not given their thoughts)
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #259
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
So, what do you think of some of the muslims' response to the comic? (for those who have not given their thoughts)
I forgot that that was what this started about! Seems like this thread itself has evolved

Put simply, I think that the fanatical muslims are reacting.. well... fanatically. They've taken things too far, once again. It's ridiculous really, because they get all up in arms if people say anything to offend their god, but threaten to kill anyone who believes in this false god of christianity in their Jihad or whatever it is.

The majority of muslims, however, are reacting how any sane person of faith should react.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #260
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I would like to think that if the same thing happened with Christ and some Christians took these drastic steps, that the other Christians would try to stop them.

This just puts all Muslims in the same boat for many people.

Edit: Wooohoo, ..hit the 4k! humm, I look better than an elder orb...

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 09-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Closed Thread