Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

(No, not YOU larry [img]smile.gif[/img] )

"It said Larry posed a very serious threat to life and property."

Residents flee as cyclone heads for Australian coast
Tropical Cyclone Larry

Thousands of residents fled their homes as the worst cyclone to threaten Australia's Queensland state for decades bore down on the coast.

Tropical Cyclone Larry was expected to hit the north-eastern state early Monday with wind gusts of up to 280 kilometres (175 mph) an hour and storm surges of up to two metres (6.6 feet), the weather bureau said.

Mandatory evacuations were enforced in several coastal areas including holiday resorts in the path of the cyclone, the national AAP news agency reported.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie declared a disaster situation, giving authorities the legal power to forcibly remove any reluctant evacuees as the 80 km-wide stormfront headed for land.

Major airlines cancelled all flights into the city of Cairns. Shelters for evacuees were set up in inland towns.

"I want people to understand that the advice we're given is that it is very serious -- category four. The weather bureau says we haven't have one of these for decades," Beattie told national ABC radio.

The weather bureau said the cyclone, pressing in from the Coral Sea east of Townsville, could worsen to Category Five -- the highest -- by the time it made landfall.

The bureau describes a Category Five cyclone as "extremely dangerous with widespread destruction". It said Larry posed a very serious threat to life and property.

The cyclone's "very destructive core" is expected to cross the coast between Innisfail and Mission Beach between 7 am and 9 am on Monday.

Destructive winds were expected to start battering the coast between Ingham and Port Douglas earlier in the morning, with gales already being experienced along the exposed coast on Sunday evening.

Petrol stations recorded a big rise in business with residents filling up their tanks to drive south or inland, while supermarkets were inundated by people stocking up on supplies.

Cardwell Service Station owner Rachael King said business had been "non-stop" with people "getting into their cars and driving wherever they can get to".

"The population is about 13,000 ... I reckon half of them are on their way out," King said.

Beattie said the authorities were worried about hospitals and other buildings in the cyclone's path.

But Cairns resident Warwick Hatcher told ABC radio he was staying put. "Machams Beach is famous for its cyclone parties so I'm happy to stay," he said.

Disaster coordination centres were activated in Cairns and Townsville while the state government sent response teams from Brisbane in preparation for destruction caused by gale-force winds, torrential rain and flooding.

On Christmas Day 1974, category four Cyclone Tracy hit the northern Australian city of Darwin, killing 49 people and another 16 at sea. Some 70 percent of Darwins homes were destroyed or severely damaged.

----------

God, I have a feeling we are in for a BAAAADDD year again here in the USA.. But then, how much worse can it get, you know? I didn't even KNOW Australia or its islands GOT hit with cyclones... Be careful guys.

Larry is now equal to TC Tracy. Katrina was 918 & Camille 909 mb.

"Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Larry, Category 4, for 10 pm AEST Sunday
Central Pressure : 925 Hectopascals
Location of Centre : within 20 kilometres of latitude 17.5 degrees south longitude 148.3 degrees east about 240 kilometres east of Innisfail.
Recent Movement : West at 25 kilometres per hour
Destructive winds : out to 120 kilometres from the centre
Maximum wind gusts : 280 kilometres per hour"

Source: BOM Warning #15

[ 03-19-2006, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

It seems that Larry + Windbringer = a most unholy alliance, as was to be predicted...

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Australians let out a loud sigh of relief... thank god it was just a Demonic killer hurricane from the seven hells, not IW Larry...

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Are you sure it wasn't really IW Larry?

Wonder what you Australians did to upset him [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
It seems that Larry + Windbringer = a most unholy alliance, as was to be predicted...
Yeah, Cyril never would have imagined that storms are within my repertoire as well...

What was their infraction against me you ask?

They did nothing wrong...I am just having some fun while Memnoch is away and not protecting his homeland. He forgot that TDC joined the Shadows and not a goodie-goodie like he is...
Old 03-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

It's landed

Category 5 cyclone Larry has smashed into the far north Queensland coast, lashing the area with winds of up to 290 kilometres an hour.

Meteorologists say it is one of the biggest ever seen and residents say its force is frightening (ABC)

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Scary stuff. Hope all our IW folk (and anyone else there!)stay out of it's path and let us know you're safe when it's passed by!

Larry....did I say you could play with my lightning? [img]graemlins/stormy.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This was supposed to be a bad cyclone - any Cane Toads posting here? Hope they're ok.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
Eagle eye
Elminster

Thats funny - I thought a bit of it would rub off on us - guess I was wrong.
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote