Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
Mojo
Elminster

For those of you who remember my thread asking for your opinions on me joining the RAF, I've decided to join and am halfway through the application process [img]smile.gif[/img]

During the medical, the doctor told me that I would be best to put on weight before I begin training because otherwise it'll be really hard for me.

So, having taken that into account, I've started doing situps, pressups, running and lifting weights. Can anyone give me advice on how best to gain weight (muscle, not fat), or on how best to use the dumbells I recently bought or anything like that? I'd be very greatful.

Also, what are your opinions on Weight Gain Formula? It's a kindof protein supplement, in milkshake form... It's been recommended to me by a friend, but other people think it's bad for you. Does anyone have anything to share regarding it?

Thank you [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

If the "weight gain" you're talking about is carbo-loading milkshake powder, I think it's fine. I've used it before.

I think Russell Crowe has wonderful advice for how to gain lots of weight, which he had to do for Beautiful Mind: "Bourbon and Cheeseburgers, mate. It was awesome."

Seriously, with lots of working out, your body will rid itself of the impurities of splurging on the greasy junk food - just so long as you get all your food groups. If you're joining the RAF, I guess you're fairly young. YOu will need to pound food until it hurts to really gain weight.

And drink lots and lots and lots of water.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:49 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

You might want to invest a bit of money in a gym or a physical therapist. And of course your family doctor may give the best advise...What ever you do DON'T take hearsay advise. Go to the pros.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 02-04-2003, 05:52 PM   #4
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
You might want to invest a bit of money in a gym or a physical therapist. And of course your family doctor may give the best advise...What ever you do DON'T take hearsay advise. Go to the pros.
I agree. People advise so many different things, sometimes completely opposite suggestions! I have been trying to gain weight for several years, so I know.
See a dietist or at least your GP. [img]smile.gif[/img]
And good luck, I know how tough it can be to gain weight - sometimes harder than losing it!

FWIW, I can give you my own personal experience with a Weight Gaining product: I tried a powder that is supposed to make you gain weight. Tastes of bananas and you mix two spoonfuls with your yoghurt or milk. I only tried it a couple of times. It was supposed to be taken in addition to your normal meals, but it made me feel so full up I couldn't eat enough other stuff.

[ 02-04-2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 02-04-2003, 05:55 PM   #5
Mojo
Elminster

I'm 16, about 5'6" and roughly 9 stone (which I guess is a little underweight). I've never been overweight and until now I've never bothered with my weight. I ate when I was hungry and even then, a lot of the time I didn't eat very much.

Do you mean to say, Timber, that I basically have to force myself to eat as much as possible and work it into muscle? The working into muscle part isn't that hard; I have a lot of spare time but eating as much as I probably should just doesn't seem possible...

I forgot to mention before, I've probably got until the end of April to get ready. Can it be done? Can a substansial difference be made in 3 months?
Old 02-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

Here have mine, I've got plenty to spare.

By the way do not get your hopes up to high, the chances of being a pilot are very slim, ( don't not try either!). However there are plenty of other great jobs in the RAF and apart from the life skills the armed forces give you the work skills will prove very usefull for a life back in civies. After spending 23 years in avation and my dad 40 years before me I know It's a world of good paying jobs in any country you want for those with training.

Take the advice of Arvon and see a dietician about bulk gain, not word of mouth.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 02-04-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

first of all weight gain happen in three months and it depends on what exercises you do and how much whether it is fat or muscle. please do talk to your doctor, and a dietician. the quickest way to be sure it happens is with qualified advice from professionals
Old 02-04-2003, 06:07 PM   #8
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

A few things to add...

Eat a LARGE breakfast, high in protein and carbs. (lots o' bacon and toast). Excercise before eating, this stimulates the appetite. (a good run in the morning really gets the blood pumping)

Eating a large breakfast, and you'll be ravenous for lunch! Trust me...

Otherwise, do consult a professional dietician and/or physical trainer.

edit>spelling

[ 02-04-2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 02-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #9
daan
Silver Dragon

nr. 1 would be to dump the dumbells ...
They're fine up to 15 kilo's or something, but after that dumbells put needless strain on your wrists as far as I'm concerned.

Buying a long shaft ( like the one they use in powerlifting and stuff ) will give you the ability to train with more weight.
Also, training both arms at the same time is a little better than just lifting oen arm at a time, you use slightly different and more muscles using a long shaft .. in my experience.
If you want to gain weight, use a lot of weight .. improving mass is a matter of quality, not quantity. The volume of you muscles will increase if you do relatively small sets with a lot of weight:
10 times with 40 kilos ( which is 20 per arm, using a long shaft ) is better than 40 times 10 kilos ( which is 5 per arm offcourse [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Also, dont underestimate your own body as a natural weight. There are quite a few ways to make push-ups near impossible, using different positions.
Some claim that using your own body as weight is better, since you use every muscle involved in that action compared to targeting very selectively with "unnatural" weights.
Furhtermore, it's harder to know your boundaries using unnatural weight.

Newayz,.. I've been doing it for about 2 - 3 years now, and one thing's very important:
-Get a partner to train with
-Go to a gym ( not necesarrily every time, but complimentary atleast)

Noone has the self-discipline to keep on training all by himself because it gets plain boring .. having a partner to train with reduces this factor to about zero.
The gym allows you to get detailed information on what you have to do to get the results you want and offcourse has all the right equipment.

Have fun m8 [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 06:11 PM   #10
Mojo
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
By the way do not get your hopes up to high, the chances of being a pilot are very slim, ( don't not try either!). However there are plenty of other great jobs in the RAF and apart from the life skills the armed forces give you the work skills will prove very usefull for a life back in civies.
Thanks, but I already know how hard it is to become a pilot and I subsequesntly learned that most people don't much like officers of any description, with the view that they took the "easy route". It's the same with Aircrew, because Aircrew are automatically Sergeant...

Nah, I took a much simpler option with much higher chances of getting in. I'm gonna be a Ground Electrical Technician. Woo! I'm thinking that this will stand me in very good stead for later life, but I may end up making the RAF my life... If nothing else, after 22 years you get a lovely pension. [img]smile.gif[/img]