Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I can't believe they released this guy.. especially since he never made a secret of what he was planning.

Dutch appeals court clears terrorist suspect

A Dutch citizen of Moroccan origin charged with plotting terrorist attacks has been acquitted on appeal. The Dutch court said there was not enough evidence to convict 19-year old Samir Azzouz.

However, the judges did find he had terrorist intentions, but this does not constitute a crime in the Netherlands.

The public prosecutor had demand a seven-year prison sentence.

During a raid on his home, police found maps and detailed sketches of parliament buildings in The Hague and Amsterdam's international airport.

Another investigation involving Mr Azzouz, on suspicion of plotting another terrorist attack, is still pending.

(rnw.nl)
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Justice is done only after someone puts a bullet in that bastard's head. And while they're at it, someone please shoot that judge as well.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Maybe you could let CIA kidnap this guy.

[ 11-18-2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

If it's not a crime, you can't judge people for it. The law might need some tweaking, though.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Greasel:
If it's not a crime, you can't judge people for it. The law might need some tweaking, though.
The intentions were chrystal clear though. The only reason why he probably didn't blow anything up, was that he did'n't have proper detonaters. That he's an enemy of the state should be pretty obvious to everyone, even to that retarded judge. I guess al we can do is sit back and wait until he actually hits a target.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

That's not clear from the article, Johnny-Bob. Maybe you've read more on it. I don't know how far in his conspiracy/planning he actually went, but under the US legal system he would have had to take affirmative steps toward acting out his plan. You can draw maps of where you're going to put bombs (that you don't yet have) all you want, but it takes something more to actually be conspiring.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Now he's free for the CIA to kidnap, no worries. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
That's not clear from the article, Johnny-Bob. Maybe you've read more on it. I don't know how far in his conspiracy/planning he actually went, but under the US legal system he would have had to take affirmative steps toward acting out his plan. You can draw maps of where you're going to put bombs (that you don't yet have) all you want, but it takes something more to actually be conspiring.
His contacts are all members of what we call here "de Hofstad groep", a bunch of muslim hardliners, some of his buddies are in jail for shooting and throwing a handgrenade at the police, the killer of v. Gogh was also on his list of buddies, his house was full of stuff to create explosives with the exception of detonaters (but that would have only been a matter of time), the maps from government buildings and the airport should start ringing some bells, and they've tapped his phone for months in a row, and the conversations he had left little or no doubt. What more can you ask for ? This guy needs to be taken out before he gets the chance to become a martyr. He also wrote a note in which he said goodbye to his relatives, another indication he's planning to go out with a bang. Need i go on ?

And there's plenty of guys in Gitmo of who there's little or no evidence that they are in fact alligned with either Al Qaeda or the Taliban, so for that matter the US doesn't care that much about the legal system either. I think all of the above are reason enough to keep him in custody, or at least adjust the law so that creatures like him can be more easily arrested and KEPT behind bars. I think it's pretty obvious that our society has nothing to gain from him walking around freely.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:17 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Actually, he still is behind bars. They are also trying him for planning to murder several prominent politicians.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the update, Dreamer.

Yes, Johnny, given all that it does seem a lot more clear.

As for the references to Gitmo, I will readily admit our government doesn't have good evidence regarding many of those "detainees" (= POW), which is why I see it as a lawless facility that is traitorous to our constitution, and why I think every single "detainee" should have a trial before an impartial tribunal to confront the evidence against them.