Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 11:02 AM   #31
Moni

Ah well I can't find my list yet!
Not giving up though!
Just going back to "work"
Will try to pop in at breaks.

Moni

Old 05-15-2001, 11:08 AM   #32
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
onthepequod,
The pup is doing great! A trip to the vet's yesterday confirmed he is worm-free and five lbs heavier in just the week we have had him. The cats have already started the obedience training LOL! One of them must have given him the what for and he doesn't chase them anymore but rather sits still while they pass by on their way in and out the kitty door. He is very smart! I am sure whatever training we give him will be easy. Right now I just want him to stop chewing on my wrists and kneecaps! He is still cutting teeth so I do understand but my patience is wearing thin. He understands what stop and no mean but he chews on me anyway. I have given him new toys galore in order to save my skin and have figured out which ones he likes. Rex's parents gave us a collar, a harness and a leash for him so yesterday he got his first "official" walk around the block. He held the leash in his mouth and tried to make me go wherever he wanted. It was cute but if he gets to be a big dog his lil trick might succeed!

FYI, This type of biting is often referred to as "mouthing" which in a pack is part of the dominance role setting process. Many, many, trainers consider this something to be avoided since (they believe) it has a tendancy to confuse the dog in regard to pack (your family) dominance. Easier said than done. Furthermore, the leash in mouth is also considered mouthing since (according to trainers) the dog sees the leash as an extention of you.

As far as being pulled around by him as he matures....I have two words.....Choke Chain. A choke chain (it's not as mean as it sounds is an excelent way to train a dog to heel. I have used this meathod on my 85 pound German Shepard puppy and she never pulls. We'll appreciate it more once she fills out.

IMHO "heel" is one of the best commands you can teach a dog...right behind "come," "sit," "stay," "release," "disembowel," "lobotomize," "get those damn kids," and "go do that on the neighbor's lawn."

If your pup is part Shepard, he'll pick things up quickly.

I hope this doesn't come across as trying to tell you how to raise your dog. Just wanted to share some things I found helpful. If your curious about resorces I found helpful, let me know. Otherwise, I am just going to but out for the time being. However, I do reserve the right to be a nuisance whenever it suits me.

Old 05-15-2001, 11:11 AM   #33
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

Oh Gods, my humour is really really getting worse...

Not at all.

I work with a guy that redefines poor humor with each attempt.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:29 AM   #34
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
Not at all.

I work with a guy that redefines poor humor with each attempt.
I didn't know you worked with me . . .

BK
Old 05-15-2001, 11:36 AM   #35
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
I didn't know you worked with me . . .

BK
LOL!

You completely took me by surprise. I didn't even see it coming.

No BK, you can't be that bad!

Old 05-15-2001, 09:12 PM   #36
Moni

onthepequod,
Thank you for all your advice, it is all welcome and please, never hesitate to point out what I need to do with this pup as I only trained one dog in my life and he turned out GREAT but it was so long ago I forgot the rules and methods.
He was half Cocker Spaniel half Black Lab...looked like a mini lab with cocker spaniel hair, what a cutie! I also had help with him via the Alaskan Malamut teaching him the full set of teeth showing wolf-like growl LOL...for a dog no higher than my knee, he sure could put some fright into strangers who got too close to me with that look and growl!

He heels without a leash...has done it since I got him.
I will certainly teach him NOT to lead me with the leash, I just thought it was cute...still working on the biting/chewing thing but as long as I am not replacing my wrists and kneecaps with rope and tug toys, he seems to think it is OK still...any suggestions without me having to "go toad" on him?

Well, I am off to finish laundry and check on that shelf...I'll pop in before I hit the sack for the night I am sure.

Take Care!

Moni

------------------

Old 05-15-2001, 09:19 PM   #37
n00bies
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ack! hope im not making enemies cause of my post
Old 05-15-2001, 09:24 PM   #38
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
He heels without a leash...has done it since I got him.

You are so far ahead of 90% to 95% of most dog owners.
Old 05-15-2001, 09:28 PM   #39
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by n00bies:
Ack! hope im not making enemies cause of my post
I don't think that is the case at all. It seems the women are just have a lot of fun with it. I wouldn't worry (see Moni's post on your thread - the one about not being upset in the least).

Everyone is taking it in good fun. As you intended it, I imagine.

[This message has been edited by onthepequod (edited 05-15-2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 10:22 PM   #40
Moni

nOObies,

Hugs!

No enemies here!

onthepequod,
It is good to know that I have a good start with this pup...he is really very smart and tonight, he showed a little more respect for me in taking me for my word when I told him don't bite! He sat in my lap and licked my leg and arm and seemed to be very content just to have my company!

Is there ANY way I could teach him to lift a leg without embarassing myself? He pees like a girl and it embarasses me LOL!

Moni

------------------