Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2002, 07:40 PM   #1
Nameless One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Does anyone know how teleport and create portal work exactly. The instructions vaguely say "one portal in each scene." It seems that Valeia to the Caverns is one scene, the Caverns to Ishad Nha is another scene, and West of Ishad Nha is another scene. Before I go trying to test this hypothesis I wanted to see if anyone else has the answer. I worked hard at leveling a bard to get those spells, but more often than not all I see is a message: Spell fizzled.

It also seems that if I cast the portal outdoors, I have to cast teleport outdoors also. I have not tried casting creat portal indoors.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi nameless!

Consider the "scenes" as the areas around each town - everything up to the Oracle caves is Valiea, west of the Oracle Caves to the Dragon Spire are the Ishad N'ha area and everything past the Dragon Spire belong to Brimloch Roon.

There are some areas in the game where Create Portal just won't work. Now I've cast it indoors and teleported back from outdoors and the other way around too. Hope you get it figured out to your satisfaction soon!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 10:23 PM   #3
Loumistro
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ya Wyvern is right Create portal and Teleport don't work everywhere. Why I don't know but you should be able to cast Create portal anywhere. The teleport spell just teleports you to the spot where you used create portal.

You can set up a combo using Create portal, then using Call to home (teleports you to the last town you were at), when you get out of the town you just cast teleport.

That can be used to drop off anything at a town or if you complete a quest.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:20 PM   #4
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Area 1 is, all of Valeia ( because of the foot path around the town) and up to the east gate of Ishad N'Ha. (including the serpent temple.)

Area 2 is, from the west gate of Ishad N'ha to the east gate of Brimloch Roon.

Area 3 of course is west of the Brimloch gate.

Sometimes lower level characters have a harder time with these spells. (as you gain 'Will' stats, you get better) Always watch the text box when you cast 'create', you should see 'Portal Created'. If you don't, walk away a few feet and try again. (you can also 'test' a portal the same way)

Outside/Inside is a little vague. If you walk down the stairs and into the entance of the crypt...You are still outside. Once you click on the lever and the dungeon loads...You are inside.
.. ..The nice thing about that is...You can create a portal on both sides of the lever. Create poratal, outside...click on the lever (load the dugeon)..Create portal inside. Now you can teleport to the door from anywhere inside the dungeon, to the door. So if you need to go back to town, to train, or heal, or sell stuff..You can do what Loumistro suggested. Teleport to the door... load the outside...and cast 'Call of Home'...finish up in town...and teleport back.

Another nice wrinkle is that you can have a portal inside each of the dungeons, and the portals remain active if you return later in the game.

.. Have fun and keep us posted..
Old 06-14-2002, 06:06 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

In the other words, you can create one portal on every map.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:10 AM   #6
morningstar
The Magister

Thanks everyone for the information, I have not been successful in creating Portals yet. My Bard seems not to be able to do it anywhere. Will try all your tips!
Old 07-20-2002, 09:03 AM   #7
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Your ability to cast spells sucessfully increase as you raise your 'Will' and 'Sorcery' stats..
Old 07-20-2002, 11:56 AM   #8
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think that the areas that you can use portals are segregated by the places that your computer has to load. ie The gates of Ishad N'ha to the gates of Brimoch dont require a load so they are in the same area.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:05 PM   #9
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Exactly...

And that also means, you can have portals in each and every dungeon.