Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-13-2002, 03:18 AM   #1
ATrain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm still having problems with the Kuldahar folks being hostile towards me, attacking me when I come into town.

I think it has to do with my reputation being low, although I've only done like 2 things to drop it. But one of them was to kill the thief that runs the Inn, Aldwin i think.

1. how do I check my party's reputation, I can't find it on the character's info screen. The only thing I can see is "reaction", is that it?

2. Are there any other temples, besides the one in kuldahar, that I can go to to raise my party's rep?

3. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what to do? Otherwise I don't know if I will be able to complete my quests if all of Kuldahar is hostile towards me.

4. Is there any other way to raise my Rep?

Thanks!!!
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:54 AM   #2
Darkman

Guess I was wrong earlier. You can't see your Reputation in IWD

If your reputation is too low not even the priests in Kuldahar will talk to you so making donations won't work. And if Arundel turns hostile to you I don't think you can progress to the next area of the game. I would suggest trying to restore from previous saved games and replaying from there, this time without killing the inn keeper and whoever else may have accidentally fallen onto your sword tip
Old 02-13-2002, 07:50 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I don't think your rep is really the problem here. You just shouldn't have killed the thief innkeeper. Killing anyone that doesn't attack you first will make the whole town hostile, whether your rep is 2 or 20. Besides, there is a way of dealing with the little guy that doesn't involve bloodshed and yields more XP anyway.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 03:23 PM   #4
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

The Only Person Who You Can Kill In Kuldahar (If I Remember Correctly) Without Everyone Hating You Is Orrick The Grey... Methinks
Old 02-14-2002, 08:48 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Atrain ...

With only IWD installed, the only temples available are the ones in Kuldahar and Easthaven. WIth HOW installed, there is a third temple available in Lonelywood.

As has been posted earlier, the villagers reaction is not a reputation issue per se. Even though the innkeeper is not a "good" person, killing him does cause the entire village to go hostile.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:22 PM   #6
ATrain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the input. Y'all are very helpful.

Does this mean I need to just quit my game, or will i be able to finish the game with every one hating me?
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:20 AM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

ATrain,

Hopefully you have a saved game from just before you killed the little squirt.

You should save AT LEAST every half hour, and keep archives of past stages of the game under different names (e.g., "EastHaven," "Outside EastHaven," "Easthaven Orcs," "Kuldahar Pass," "KP Mill," "Kuldahar," "Vale 1," "Vale 2," "Vale 3," ... "Vale 9," etc.; so that you never have to regress more than a few hours.

I have found the autosave feature to be worthless, since I usually discover my mistake long after the autosave has overwirtten my last good stopping point.

Saving often allows you to play "what if" games. Like, "What happens if I kill the halfling that runs the Inn." Just save the game, kill the runt, then immediately save under a **DIFFERENT** game name and continue. If you find out an hour later that this was a bad idea, you simply reload the game that you saved under the title "Kuldahar before killing Innkeeper."

The game creators have given you enough leeway in this game to back yourself into a corner that does not allow you to finish the game. In other words, "They give you enough rope to hang yourself."

And you, my friend, look like one of Skeld's welcome ornaments at the Whistling Gallows Inn.

If you have no saved games to go back to, then, in my opinion, you are screwed: If it were me, I'd start over, immediately. The good news is that you are very early in the game. You learned a very valuable lesson (you did learn it, didn't you?); and it only cost you 10 hours, instead of 50 or 100.

There is more good news (I think). I am pretty sure that your party's storyline is tied to the leader of the group. In other words, the story revolves around the leader: the other characters are along for the ride. If so, then the ones that were "along for the ride" should be able to jump ship. Here's how ...

You should be able to create a new game back in Easthaven with ONE new character. He/She will be the leader of your new party; then import all characters from your Kuldahar party, except the leader (you'll have to export them from the Kuldahar party, first) and start the adventure over with the new leader and 5 members from your more experienced party. This more powerful party, along with your previous experience in these areas, allow you to sail much more quickly through the events that lead you to Kuldahar, cutting down on the time you lost.

If you want your leader to be a little more experienced, let him do all of the easy quests inside of Easthaven, and get the 5,000 quest points all to himself, before importing the other party members to help with goblins and investigate missing caravan.

You MIGHT be able to import a member of the original party (not the leader) as the leader of your new party, and even make the old leader a non-leading member; but I personally wouldn't chance it. Just reroll a new leader; and give him the same name, etc. as the old, if you're really attached to him.

Oh, yeah, and have the old leader strip down and give all of his stuff to the other party members before you export them.

Oh! Oh! ... Another thing I just thought of: You could try to delete the leader in Kuldahar, save the game with a party of five (your number two guy will become the new leader) and roll another NEW character to fill the empty slot. Try this at the party arbitration screen that you pick after the game has loaded and you have started adventuring, NOT the one that comes up automatically during the "load game" process. I think there is a chance this will work; and it only takes a few minutes to find out ...

Hope this helps.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 07:03 AM   #8
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:
(...) There is more good news (I think). I am pretty sure that your party's storyline is tied to the leader of the group. In other words, the story revolves around the leader: the other characters are along for the ride. If so, then the ones that were "along for the ride" should be able to jump ship. Here's how ...

You should be able to create a new game back in Easthaven with ONE new character. He/She will be the leader of your new party; then import all characters from your Kuldahar party, except the leader (you'll have to export them from the Kuldahar party, first) and start the adventure over with the new leader and 5 members from your more experienced party. This more powerful party, along with your previous experience in these areas, allow you to sail much more quickly through the events that lead you to Kuldahar, cutting down on the time you lost.

If you want your leader to be a little more experienced, let him do all of the easy quests inside of Easthaven, and get the 5,000 quest points all to himself, before importing the other party members to help with goblins and investigate missing caravan.

You MIGHT be able to import a member of the original party (not the leader) as the leader of your new party, and even make the old leader a non-leading member; but I personally wouldn't chance it. Just reroll a new leader; and give him the same name, etc. as the old, if you're really attached to him.

Oh, yeah, and have the old leader strip down and give all of his stuff to the other party members before you export them.

Oh! Oh! ... Another thing I just thought of: You could try to delete the leader in Kuldahar, save the game with a party of five (your number two guy will become the new leader) and roll another NEW character to fill the empty slot. Try this at the party arbitration screen that you pick after the game has loaded and you have started adventuring, NOT the one that comes up automatically during the "load game" process. I think there is a chance this will work; and it only takes a few minutes to find out ...

Hope this helps.

If you want to export/reimport your old party, you can do that with the entire party, no need to delete the leader. If you restart the game with an imported party from a previous game, the reputation/hostilities they had at the end of that previous game will be reset to the standard for new characters. Only their stats, XP and equipment will be carried over.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 07:51 AM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

IWD is different from BG1 in that the game can be continued even if the so called "leader" of the group is killed. The storyline is not tied to a leader as in BG1 or Bg2. Its a party based game. You can freely interchange the members of your group without affecting the game at all.

THe lone exceptions to equipment following your characters on reimport are the scroll cases, potion cases and gem bags. Containers do not reimport with the characters.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote