Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Recently I noticed that I my computer's fan was running long after my machine should have been hibernating(the moniter had already turned off). When I pushed the power button, I heard the machine power down(my power button is set to send my computer to StandBy), so I checked the settings. They didn't seem to be exactly what I remembered, so I created a new power scheme and saved it, but after closing the window and re-opening it, that scheme was not listed. I did this over and over, but the scheme always disappears. I can adjust the settings for the two existing default schemes, but I should be able to create as many schemes as I want.

I couldn't find anything in the Knowledge base that seemed to apply, so any ideas?

[ 10-30-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Update....

When I set StandBy to take effect after 1 minute, it worked, but when I set the monitor to go off at 2 minutes and then standby at 5, only the monitor turned off.

Weirder and Weirderer......
Old 10-31-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Is it spam to continually respond to yourself? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anywho... I'm still having this problem, and it's ruining a completely good Friday night because I can't stop thinking about it. :angry1:

Even if I boot up in safe mode, it's still the same deal. Under the admin profile all of the default schemes are there(Always On, Presentation, Desktop, Laptop, etc.), but under my profile, which has admin rights, it still only lists Desktop and Laptop, and I can save new schemes, but they disappear after closing the window.

In the knowledge database I did find reference to a problem prior to Service Pack 1, which I have, that happened if you tried to standby at 15 minutes or later due to task manager, and a similar problem if you tried if at 45 minutes or later even after service pack one, but I'm shooting for 30 minutes which should be fine. And HAS been fine until about a week or two.

As far as I can tell, the problem started after I'd switched schemes in order to have the moniter turn off while the computer stayed on all night downloading files. After I switched back to the Standby scheme it never worked correctly again. I have used Ad Aware and Spybot in addition to a complete virus scan using Norton's latest definitions, and I'm clean.

Someone please, [i]Stop The Insanity![i]