Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2002, 07:05 AM   #1
Anarion

how on EARTH do i kill it. any ideas cheesy or not would be helpful. its not just me too because my brother is stuck on the same bit.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:20 AM   #2
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

POSSIBLE SPOILER

Here a few methods:

The cheesy: get a wand of cloudkill, use about 20 charges from where it can't see you in its vicinity, wait and smell the rose... erm, marsh gas.

The stylish: only late in the game... cast magic resistance on it, have a spellcaster with cloak of mirroring and another char with cloak of reflection on opposing sides of the dragon, unleash sequencers with lots of lightning bolts

The reload-until-it-works: use quivering palm or harm+magic missile or a similar instant-death spell combo (prepare the latter with magic resistance.)

The booby trap: Lay a few dozen traps around him (if you dual class a thief but then cancel, your thief will get all his traps back) and provoke it into attacking
Old 01-09-2002, 07:33 AM   #3
ralph
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I beat him completely legit... no cheesy tactics.

Only cheesy thing i did is prepare with that "prayer" spell (shrine?) with my cleric, and a bless spell too.

When i went downstairs... i just charged... Fighters up front... and my mages casting either fireball behind it or magic missle. By then all my guys started running around like cowards, but I managed to always have control with one character. (when they run around, they are pretty safe cause the dragon usually won't hurt them). By the time they stopped running around, i casted courage... and went back at him... if someone was dieing, i retreated him... gobbled potions, and ran back at it. Eventually, after a LONG time... i did it. but you need to have alot of potions. I felt proud =)
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:34 AM   #4
banzai
Manshoon

Another stylish variation - it worked for me at the end of chapter 2.

Summon all fire elementals you can (2 in my case), haste, protect from xxx etc. all and position your party and elementals around the dragon but NOT in front of it. Summon some additional critters and put THEM in front of the dragon. Then it´s happy hacking and a little luck...

Btw my thief starts his attacking with a succesful backstab.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
Russ
Manshoon

Since when are Chant and Bless cheesy? Those spells are staples of the game!

The best way I've ever found is to realize that the Arrows of Biting you will find in this game are really serious treasures, and to preserve them specifically for use against the game's heavy hitters.

Otherwise, it depends on your party, but we got mileage out of lower resistance and magic missile. We also got very confused and frightened and dead... and one character got unresurrectable from three breath weapon hits in a row. Tough fight if you're playing with a party.

Casting Magic Resistance, instead of Lower Resistance, in order to exploit a bug... now that's cheesy.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:12 PM   #6
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Casting Magic Resistance, instead of Lower Resistance, in order to exploit a bug... now that's cheesy.

Lol. I'm soling with a F/C right now. I guess I'll be cheesing my way through.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 05:26 PM   #7
D*Ranged

Magic Resistance then lower resist (no vice versa). Then fireball or ice rain him to death. (For low lvl party)
Old 01-09-2002, 07:49 PM   #8
Richard Jensen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

By far the easiest (and cheesiest) thing to do is to have a cleric cast a finger of death spell. You can do it even still holding the shadow dragon wardstone! My first attempt killed him clean. If you don't have a cleric that can cast 7th level spells, then a disintegrate or other deadly scroll should do the trick.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:21 AM   #9
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by banzai:
Another stylish variation - it worked for me at the end of chapter 2.

Summon all fire elementals you can (2 in my case), haste, protect from xxx etc. all and position your party and elementals around the dragon but NOT in front of it. Summon some additional critters and put THEM in front of the dragon. Then it´s happy hacking and a little luck...

Btw my thief starts his attacking with a succesful backstab.

COOL! my people are loaded with elemental summoning spells. would a Efreeti be effective here?
Old 01-10-2002, 04:41 AM   #10
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

This isn't cheesy - just outright exploitive, with the wardstone surround the dragon with all your party 'cept for your weakest and get your weakest to initiate conversation with said dragon, pause the game, get your five stronger party members to force an attack and move weakest away from dragon, after two attacks repeat and in a few minutes you should have a dead dragon at your feet.
BTW: I tried the wand of cloudkill thing and it seems as though this AI fault has been fixed in one of the later patches as both Firkraag and dark dragon attacked me even though I was off screen. Is this just me?