Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2004, 12:37 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

From the coalition of "Good Idea Freaks", comes the latest for the 'Hungry Soldier' If your short on swamp water, just add.....

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996185
The World's No.1 Science & Technology News Service
Army rations rehydrated by urine

19:00 21 July 04

Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.

Would you eat food cooked in your own urine? Food scientists working for the US military have developed a dried food ration that troops can hydrate by adding the filthiest of muddy swamp water or even peeing on it.

The ration comes in a pouch containing a filter that removes 99.9 per cent of bacteria and most toxic chemicals from the water used to rehydrate it, according to the Combat Feeding Directorate, part of the US Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Massachusetts. This is the same organisation that created the "indestructible sandwich" that will stay fresh for three years (New Scientist print edition, 10 April 2002).

The aim is to reduce the amount of water soldiers need to carry. One day's food supply of three meals, weighs 3.5 kilograms but that can be reduced to about 0.4 kilograms with the dehydrated pouches, says spokeswoman Diane Wood.

The pouch - containing chicken and rice initially - relies on osmosis to filter the water or urine. When two solutions of different concentrations are separated by a semipermeable membrane, with gaps that allow only water molecules to pass through, the water is drawn to the more concentrated side.

The membranes are made of thin sheets of a cellulose-based plastic, with gaps between the fibres that are just 0.5 nanometres across, too small for bacteria to pass through.

A hungry soldier pours dirty water into one end of a foil sachet containing two inner pouches separated by the membrane. The water seeps through the membrane into the dehydrated food on the other side. As it dissolves large molecules in the food, it creates a very high concentration solution. The osmotic pressure created then draws more water through the membrane.

Hydration Technology of Albany, Oregon, which makes the membrane, says soldiers should only use urine in an absolute emergency because the membrane is too coarse to filter out urea.

The body will not find this toxic over the short term, says Ed Beaudry, an engineer with HTI, but rehydrating food this way in the long term would cause kidney damage.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:16 AM   #2
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

I like it, at least it's better than adding chemicals to the water to kill the bacteria, this way it is removed before consumption.
But yeah, i think i would feel weird about eating food rehydrated by my own urine.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:15 AM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

Well hey, when your desperate...
Old 09-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

One thing to say: GROSS

But then again, never been in the position so cant say whether or not Id eat it.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I think its a great idea, if they can reduce the wieght by that much, this could be improved, and who knows what will happen in the future??
Maybe the soldiers will be able to urinate on a small packet and out will pop a grenade
Old 09-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I haven't had breakfast or been to the bathroom yet, so you've put some new options on the table for me this morning Felix. [img]smile.gif[/img]

On the serious side, in a dry environment if you are forced to rely on your own urine to hydrate your food (while not a particularly appetizing idea, it beats starvation), how long could you possibly put out 3.1 kilos of liquid waste per day? I doubt even one.

Yet another amazing break through may help! Military intelligence officials have discovered a way to powder-ize water. No more heavy drums and long supply lines for troop support or small canteens that merely tease the soldier's thirst while he anticipates dehydration. This amazing new product makes a light powder which allows one soldier to easily carry more than a year's supply.

It is amazing!

You only have to add.... um... er... water... oh yeah... that is going to be a problem isn't it.....

A drill Sergeant told me that dehydrated water story when I was in the service(he did a much better job) and had me hanging on every amazing word. I never saw the punch line coming... lol. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 09-19-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-20-2004, 06:56 AM   #7
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

*bump*

I figured since it is about breakfast time, here in the Americas, I'd bring this menu idea back to the top of the board.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:12 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

So in other words, you piss in a bag and then eat the content.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
So in other words, you piss in a bag and then eat the content.
Hahaha, I suppose you could look at it that way
Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Now they just need to develope stilsuits and we'll be totally set...

[ 09-20-2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]