Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2001, 08:02 AM   #1
Anna

hi!

I have a problem:
Athylon, one of my four mages, cannot train the sun magic skill in the mages guild. There are only buttons for intelligence, ancient lore and stone magic, but not for sun magic.

First i thought that i must have at least skill level one in sun magic to be able to train it. But i raised sun magic to level 2 at level ascendation and nothing changed.

This is very annoying since Athlylon finally reached skill level 7 in stone magic (with guild training) and i see no reason why to go for a higher value. and it will be very hard to learn higher level sun spells whithout guild training.

does anyone know how to fix this problem?

bye,
~Lisanna ... to carg !!
Old 01-19-2001, 08:33 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Specifically what class is your "mage"?? Wizard? Warlock? ? Some of the magic classes cannot learn Sun spells. The other possibility is that you need to raise that magic user's GUILD level by doing their quests. If this is a magic user that has changed class - you might not be offered training in sun spells until the character reaches the level of the former profession - i.e. if you changed him from a wizard to a warlock at level 14 you might not be offered sun training until the warlock reaches level 14 - That doesn't sound quite right to me but I suspect that this is a case of your guild level or your character level not being high enough.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 10:12 AM   #3
Anna

Excuse me for being unprecise.
Athylon is still a wizard and therefore did not change her class up to now.

Up to now she did all the guild quests in Valeia, so she should have guild level 3.

thanks.
Old 01-19-2001, 10:25 AM   #4
carg
The Magister

to you too Lisanna.
My first reaction is: you know you can scroll the skills when there are more than 5? But then again you mention only 3, so that is probably not the problem.
Ok, so let me fall back to some advice I gave someone else with an unrelated problem: he was happy with it, so perhaps it works again: Go to an Inn, remove the character from the party and add it again. Perhaps that will staighten out the game administration.
Otherwise try switching to another class that can use sun magic: samurai or warlock. You seem to be high enough level to start thinking about switching anyway.
Finally: when your Int is high enough (e.g. 16 or above, you'll gain 4 skill points per level) you get enough skill points to get a skill up to level 5 fairly easy. After that it starts to take more and more level-ups to gain a skill level. That's already a useful, and perhaps one of your other mages can specialize some more in sun. The heavy damage spells from sun level 6 and 7 can be replaced with those from other schools, like meteorstorm, which is often even better than firestorm.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 10:33 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

AS usual, always good advice from carg!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 07:15 AM   #6
Anna

Thanks for your advice.

I was able to solve it:
Athtlon bought a book of flamedrop, read it and - suddenly there was the option to train sun magic.

So i think the general solution is:
You must have at least one spell of the desired magic sphere in your spellbook to get offered training for this sphere.

a word on intelligence:

a high value is really a nice thing. Marhild, my elven wizard started with a value of 18. he invoked the two ankhs of intelligence found in the wizards path in the crypt.
Now with an intelligence of 20 he gets 5 skill increases per level ascendation, each with the 25% elven quick learner bonus !!

For this reason i think the wizards path is better then the warriors path, despite the expensive equipment of the warriors path that you miss.
But of cause the best thing is to do both.

If i created a new party, i would give every spellcaster spirituality 18 (for highest possible mana).
Each character would get an intelligence of at least 8. (increased by 2 at each of the first 4 level ascendations you have intelligence 16 at the 4th level ascendation. this is the necessary value to get 4 skill increases from level 5 on.)
And i would create at least one elve with at least intelligence 10 at the beginning. increased by two at the first 4 level ascendations + after that invoking the two ankhs of intelligence he will have the necessary value of 20 at the fifth level ascendation to get five skill increases.

just some thaughts...

~Lisanna