Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2001, 03:49 PM   #31
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Well, the water could represent what you said i suppose, I just think that the strips gave an idea of having to make a choice or important decsion, which could lead to freedom, maybe if she had a dream where she carried on down towards the sea and eventually came upon an open sea with no strips could mean she had found freedom, and made the right choice.
(this stuff is really interesting actually , methinks I'll be here for a bit.)

well, you see, dream, is NOT like a story
a story is purposefully written by an authur, with carefully chosen plots to lead to certain event, or passing certain message

your dream, is most likely consisting pieces of broken (I dont mean bad) messages picked up along your daily lives. there is NO plot in dream, therefore, the event that happens in your dream do not lead to later events. they have no direct connections, example:

many pools of water: life paths open up
to later
trapped in island: life path closes up

this kind interpretation is putting things together, trying to give the dream a PLOT. remember, dream doesnt have plot, it is not conciously assembled object. it is a garage salefull of everything.

therefore, one should look at every detail of the dream, and explain their symbolic meanings piece by piece instead of putting them together.

last bite: things happened in dream DO have connections, but they dont neccisaryly have an cause-effect relationship.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:54 PM   #32
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:

... well, you see, it is much more complex than the apparent message. theere are alot things to look into. and giving Epona depressing respondes (most of these responds are) is just NOT responsible. so please stop doing that.

You are sooooooooooooooooo incredibly cute when you are trying to protect her !

------------------
So long !

R³ aka "The Ramonster"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine's "permanent advocate" !

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !
Old 10-15-2001, 03:54 PM   #33
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

what?who?why?when?how?what?what?
Huh... what's this.
Hey, I didn't say it was like a story
I just meant something symbolising freedom couild happen later, not in a flowing plot or nuffin.

------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB
and Sorcerous Nuttella salesman of the O.R.T

Long live HADB!!!

'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger'
Old 10-15-2001, 03:59 PM   #34
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
You are sooooooooooooooooo incredibly cute when you are trying to protect her !

dude!! com'on!!

**notes to himself** another idiot to kill
Old 10-15-2001, 04:02 PM   #35
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
what?who?why?when?how?what?what?
Huh... what's this.
Hey, I didn't say it was like a story
I just meant something symbolising freedom couild happen later, not in a flowing plot or nuffin.

hey! your explaination IS a story, admit it or not. it fits the idea of a story

and R.R.R.
... ... ... time to honor you is at an end, prepare yourself!

**sharpens his dagger**
Old 10-15-2001, 04:05 PM   #36
Talthyr Malkaviel

Wait a minute, I don't wanna say other peoples opinions are wrong (since there's no such thing as a wrong opinion) but I just wanna ask a question that's probably gone unasked before.
How does anyone actually *know* that to analyse dreams you must look at it a certain way, I'm not saying that isn't the right way but, you never know, maybe dreams should be interpreted in a totally different way, for example someone getting chased by a giant bunny should actually look out for giant bunnies rather than say an embodied fear

------------------

Long live HADB!!!

Old 10-15-2001, 04:07 PM   #37
Talthyr Malkaviel

Hey, I don't wanna know what you do with that dagger but what's that R.R.R all about???????

------------------

Long live HADB!!!

Old 10-15-2001, 04:11 PM   #38
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Wait a minute, I don't wanna say other peoples opinions are wrong (since there's no such thing as a wrong opinion) but I just wanna ask a question that's probably gone unasked before.
How does anyone actually *know* that to analyse dreams you must look at it a certain way, I'm not saying that isn't the right way but, you never know, maybe dreams should be interpreted in a totally different way, for example someone getting chased by a giant bunny should actually look out for giant bunnies rather than say an embodied fear

you make a good point there
I dont study physcology or brain, so I am as foggy as you here

however, when you look at the reality, you gain an impression. this impression you have on things around you can and always do affect your feelings.

therefore, things represent messages

this is very easily demostrated on people who are hurt or sensative. little things can irritate them greatly, or some of the common object can depress/anger them greatly.

things represent messages

I dont know how this dream thing works, but my assumption is dream is a stage where your subconcious mind put together all sorts of impressive feelings, through symbolic objects which represent them

if my assumption helds true, then interpreting dreams in a narrating way is definitely not acceptable

make sense?
btw, thanks for making me think, great post

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 10-15-2001).]
Old 10-15-2001, 04:17 PM   #39
Talthyr Malkaviel

Well then, maybe everyone should interpret a dream the way that suits them best, then it would be the most fitting one, since although it might not always be the best or most fitting, your own opinion is always the one you feel most comfortable with.

------------------

Long live HADB!!!

Old 10-15-2001, 04:23 PM   #40
Talthyr Malkaviel

Oooops, got a couple words muddled on that last one, but I think most people got the message.
Well, I just thought of another thing, I wonder why you never remember the whole of your dream when you wake up?
Is it just me that thinks that the most important stuff your dreams represent could be the stuff you don't remember, and how much clearer would the message be if you remembered the whole dream?
And one last thing to consider, maybe dreams don't need to be interpreted, maybe the parts you can't remember you understand at a subconcious level and recognise the symbolism, maybe the message carried within the parts you remember aren't even worth interpreting except maybe as clarificatuion on a point.
Wow... maybe there should be a debate about this!

------------------

Long live HADB!!!