Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

When I try to save an image file, the only option I get is bmp, even if the image is a jpg or gif. Not only does this waste space and make the image lose it's transparency settings, it also kill any gif animation...

This wasn't always like that. Does anyone know what might have made that? Or how to fix it?

I got Win XP pro, by the way.

[ 08-12-2004, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 08-12-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
Spirits forever

well if it's an animationt then it'll definatly give you that option for a gif, but for every thing else

just copy the pic, paste it in "mspaint"

and then save it as anything you want...or you can just switch to firefox [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] which i did recently, tis fun to use and well stuff like that doesnt' happen as often

hope that helped

Old 08-12-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Spirits forever:
well if it's an animationt then it'll definatly give you that option for a gif, but for every thing else

just copy the pic, paste it in "mspaint"

and then save it as anything you want...or you can just switch to firefox [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] which i did recently, tis fun to use and well stuff like that doesnt' happen as often

hope that helped
No, even if the file is a jpg, or an animated gif, I only get to save as a bmp. I used to be able to chose my file format in the drop down thing, but now there is only bmp.

Edit: For example, when I try to save your sig, it want to save it as "untitled.bmp". I can change the name of course, but that's all. If I try naming it sig.gif, it save it as sig.gif.bmp

[ 08-12-2004, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 08-12-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Switch browser. Firefox doesn't change the format from what it is on the server. That is, if it's a GIF, it will save as a GIF, and recomend a name ending in .GIF

Also, changing the name doesn't achieve anything in terms of the filetype: the *.* naming convention exists only as a way of telling YOU what type of file it is, and Windows takes this a step further (unfortunately), and uses it to decide what program to open it with. Rename a GIF to a TXT for example, and it will NOT be an ASCII file all of a sudden.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

If you go to "File", and click "Save as" it will save the website and everyfile displayed in it to any destination, and you can just copy the file in the folder.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:44 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Have you tried putting quotes around the "file.gif"? Windows will helpfully add the extension if you forget it, but quotating it tells Windows to keep its monkey hands off...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
but quotating it tells Windows to keep its monkey hands off...
Hehehe.... Monkey
Old 08-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I know I can save the whole web page, and I know I can change browser, but that's not what I want to do. I used to be able to save gif files as gif and jpg as jpg...

I don't know what happened, but I want to fix my ie, not change it. The only time it behave as it should is when I right click on a link to an image and select "save target as". If I do "save as" or "save" on an image, it just save as bmp. It wasn't like that before.

Edit: I've found a part of the problem. It seem IE don't recognize some gif and jpg files. For example, I can save the above posticons as the gif they are, or the GC logo as jpg, but Spirit Forever's sig is only savable as bmp. When I look at the properties of his file, it say Filetype unknown, size unknown...

[ 08-12-2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 08-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Doesnt the "save as" window give you the option "Save as type"? A little drop menu shoud be right under where you name it, so you can save it as a different type?

[ 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 08-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Doesnt the "save as" window give you the option "Save as type"? A little drop menu shoud be right under where you name it, so you can save it as a different type?
No, for those images that my IE don't recognize, it only has the bmp option in that dropdown menu. But if I was to right click a link that pointed to that save image, I'd get the option to save it as the real file format, it would also suggest the original name of the file, instead of "untitled".

The strange thing is that it know those unrecognised images are jpg and gif and it even display them right, it just won't remember when I try to save them.

Edit: Is any of you using IE? What happen when you try to save Spirit Forever's sig?

[ 08-12-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]