Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

Hi

I bought this nice game back when it was released and after a lot of hairpulling I did finish it. I especially remember being lost for a long time in the serpents temple due to the loss of some lockpicks and a certain prisoner who wouldn,t talk to me.

Well, after I finished it there were new games to play, but a week or two ago I decided to give it another go. I spent a little time on the wiz.8 forum here about a year ago and remembered there were a w&w forum here too so I thought it would be a good place to catch up on the game.

When I started the new game I made a party of three ( warrior,priest and wizard )and they are doing pretty good, but after reading a little in the hints section and other threads, I realized that I wasn,t utilizing the roles and ascensions very well. So yesterday I decided to start a new game with a solo char.. I created a warrior, gave him some of the items from my old char. so the start would be a little bit easier. As soon as I could, I made him a paladin for getting the healing spells and I plan on being that until I get all the spirit spells.

My questions are now:

1: What role should I change to next ( I was thinking Barb. for some hitpoints and the lockpick skill )?

2: Will raising the different magic scools above 7 do any good?

3: Will the traits Oath of scrolls and Oath of swords neutralize each other?

4: In my first game I carried the rats skull around until the end. Is it good for anything?

I,m sure there will be many questions to come but enough for now.

Thanks in advance

C
Old 02-24-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, HammerHead!

My questions are now:

>1: What role should I change to next ( I was thinking Barb. for some hitpoints >and the lockpick skill )?

That would be a good change to make. One of the nice things about W&W is character development is so flexible, you can do just about anything. Having not played a solo game, others who have may have some suggestions.

>2: Will raising the different magic scools above 7 do any good?

I always liked maxing out my magic schools but I'm not sure it really matters if you take the time to learn all the spells you want before switching to a different class that does not naturally learn that realm of magic.

>3: Will the traits Oath of scrolls and Oath of swords neutralize each other?

I have no idea and wondered about that myself. I'm not certain that there is any way to really find out if they neutralize one another. Choose what is most useful to your character at the time. If later it looks like the other oath is more useful, give it a try. Worse that can happen is that there is really no effect.

>4: In my first game I carried the rats skull around until the end. Is it good >for anything?

The rat's skull isn't good for anything although it is a nice conversation piece and my own characters carried it like a lucky rabbit's foot (note that neither item (skull or foot) was particularly luck for the original owner). It may be that in the original designs for the game the rat's skull was meant for something but whatever that may have been got left out of the "finished" game.

Hope you will enjoy replaying the game!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:51 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by HammerHead:
*snip*
1: What role should I change to next ( I was thinking Barb. for some hitpoints and the lockpick skill )?
Barbarian is a good choice early in the game when playing solo. I would recommend trying for a ranger in the beginning as well to gain some vine spells (read Cure Poison).
2: Will raising the different magic scools above 7 do any good?
Raising sorcery might be more imporrtant than your spell skills since you plan to get all spells before switching class. Of course if you feel you have no other skill to train in the guild, why not...
3: Will the traits Oath of scrolls and Oath of swords neutralize each other?
IIRC you can only have one of them at a time. If you have Oath of Scrolls and acquire Oath of Swords, your Oath of Scrolls trait will disappear.
4: In my first game I carried the rats skull around until the end. Is it good for anything?
Naah throw it away. Sazerac, a mod in here, made up a story about the rat skull being needed outside Anephas´s shrine.
I,m sure there will be many questions to come but enough for now.

Thanks in advance

C
And to finish, welcome to our board HammerHead. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for the welcome and the answers.

Yes, I,m enjoing the game very much even with the crashes and all.

C
Old 02-24-2003, 01:38 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Hammerhead! May your sword stay sharp and your staves stay solid.

To add to the responses you've received thus far...

1. Feel free to change to Barbarian when you get a chance. Make sure you've got all the level 7 spells in spirit first, though; otherwise, you won't be able to get them until you're a warlock or zenmaster IIRC.

2. Raising it will do some good, but I believe it's marginal. And I'm sure Radek will correct me [img]smile.gif[/img] What I mean is that at level 7 in the spell school, you can learn level 7 spells. Every spell school level after that has an impact on damage or effectiveness, but you learn no new spells. So after you get to level 7, train in the spell school whenever it's practical, but don't obsess about it.

3. I don't know either, but by the end of the game, few things can hit you for physical damage. So I'd tend to get spells first, and now worry about swords.

4. It makes a nice paperweight, or a good blunt instrument for taking out Sebastio later on Other than that, no use. Some have thought that it was meant for the Warlock promotion instead of a skeleton's skull.

Do keep us posted on how you're going!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Hello and welcome, HammerHead.

I have a character in my present game who has both the "oath of swords" and the "oath of scrolls" trait.
As far as I can determine they neutralize each other's effects.