Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-18-2003, 08:32 AM   #1
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I made my entry on the IW stage in Oct 2000 and spent all my time at that stage in the W&W forum. Having just popped in again for a rare visit, I am pleased to see that one custom has always remained, at this, my first web home.

The thing that has always marked this W&W forum is the amount of "fan fiction" that has been created, as the members of this forum post stories of the exploits of their brave heroes. In the early days I remember reading tales from Wyvern (the suave Ratter), FreudianSlip, Sazerac, Lily the Ranger, and Alicat. I even made some hesitant steps at the time to record my own tales, but alas, time and patience (and lask of talent) did not permit them to see the light of day.

Regardless of that, I am always pleasantly surprised to see that the tradition has continued. This is the only place I have seen at IW where this sort of thing has flourished to such an extent. Best wishes to those whose efforts appear on the front page today - I enjoyed some good reading.

Cheers
Davros

PS - great to see this place still going so strong Wyvern [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

PS - great to see this place still going so strong Wyvern [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
The credit is not mine by any means. Bradley made a great game and this forum has provided enough support (lacking even from Activision) to allow many more to appreciate that fact. We've always had wonderful posters and the friendly atmosphere just seems to be passed along as the active members change.

It is truly a delight to see players writing stories of their adventures and carrying on the creative tradition some of our original posters started so long ago! I don't follow enough boards for other games to know whether it happens much elsewhere. Maybe it is the flexible nature of the game system itself that lends itself so well to fan fiction.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:19 PM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Ages ago I was inspired by the W&W forum and some of the members that are no longer here to write a story using concepts and characters for the Wizards And Warriors Universe. I think I did show it a few members privately, but never on the forum. I stumbled by it recently, it's very short and certainly unfinished.

If it's ok I thought I'd post what I wrote below. I hope it's not to corny.

I call it Tavern Tales and is set in Galiwags Tavern between the party's adventures out in Gael Serran. Here it is:

Tavern Tales

The Players:
Chan - Male, Whiskah, Samurai
Lady Shiva - Female, Human, Ranger
Kali Deth - Female, Gnome, Assassin
Kyra Mayce - Female, Pixie, Priest
Chaugnar Faugn – Male, Oomphaz, Monk
Sara Lovecraft – Female, Elf, Warlock

Chan scanned the common room of Galliwag’s Tavern hoping to spot at least one of his adventurous companions and came up empty.
“First one here, again,” he thought as he picked out a table large enough to accommodate all six of them with elbowroom to spare.
From the far back corner was a group of Stout Miners, halfway to hell in a hand basket, just raising a ruckus and have immense fun doing it. Loud and clear could be heard:

“Drinkin’ all night,
Drinkin’s all right,
Singing this song,
All the night long!”

“They certainly waste no time getting smashed,” mused Chan. “It’s barely nightfall.”
In another corner was a pack of Ratlings, whispering amongst themselves and occasionally glancing at the Stouts. It looked like the makings of a good old brawl at anytime soon.
Over the bar where Galliwag tended, were some new signs not seen since the last time the Samurai visited the bar.

New! Try Boogre Brew! Imported from west of Ishad N’ha! Only 5g!

Rat Pie! It’s kinda stinky, but there ain’t none better! Only 10g!

As Chan thoughtfully dismissed the two new products and proceeded to lick the fur from his forearms, the doors to the tavern burst open wide! Almost as loud as the Stouts came a motley crew of heroes that bickered amongst them selves. They were the companions that Chan had been waiting for!
Just as they reached the table Chan spit into a waiting cuspidor and resumed his licking ritual.
“What are you doing?” inquired Lady Shiva, taking the seat next to him.
“I’ve been trying to that Zombie vomit out of my fur for days now. I just can’t seem to get myself clean!” answered Chan, not even looking up from his task at hand.
“Ewwww! That’s just disgusting! Take a jump in the lake for crying out loud!” screamed Kali Deth. “Are you trying to make me sick?”
“Sorry, but I can’t help my feline instincts, can I?” was his response. “I’ll stop now that you’re all here.”
“Wait a moment, where is Kyra?” demanded Sara Lovecraft. “She was here when we came in!”
“Um guys, I think I sat on her!” Chaugnar Faugn said sadly, “I don’t think she survived, either.”
“Wonderful! Big, Fat, Dumb, Monk sits on the Pixie again!” snorted Kali. “Can’t you look before you sit?”
“She’s the only one of us who knows the Resurrect Spell, Chaugnar. You’ll have to bring her to the Temple and have her raised.” added Shiva.

I guess it's lots shorter than I thought, just the beginnings of a abandoned effort.

Mark

[ 02-18-2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:49 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ya know, skywalker, that's a very cruel thing to do... to start a story and leave it hanging there. Punishment is a round of drinks at the Boogre Bar [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sounds good, and I'd love to hear more of it. Bring it on!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:59 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Well, look who is back. Hello Davros. Couldnīt keep yourself away from here could you?

Bungleau, our beloved story teller, renewed the tradition of telling tales, and he has done a remarkable piece of work. Now we have two more following in his foot steps (I didnīt miss anyone right?).

Mark, as Bungleau said, donīt leave us hanging.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

I think I may have some handwritten pages around my room somewhere to add to this. I was thinking about writing more, but it always seems there is never enough time.

If you all think it's a worthy effort, it seems to heavy on dialog and no action. Of course that is the point of this story. I didn't know if it continued, it would get boring.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:49 PM   #7
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

That was great, skywalker. If you find more, definitely post it!! I admire all of you with enough imagination to come up with these stories [img]smile.gif[/img]