Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Okai...I am posting for the first time on an issue that has nothing to do with RPGs or Movies...and then I go ahead and choose this subject...DEATH PENALTY!

Why? some might ask...beaucause I just watched a show that told me about the way that people in the U.S. protested over the commercials made by Benneton and subsequently made SEARS cancel their trade-agreement with Benneton due to the campaign-pictures of inmates in a prison ( on death row )

What really made me mad was seeing these two fat americans sitting there in their home and describing their fight against Benneton and the maker of the campaign, Toscani. What in the world is this...I am sitting here in Europe and seeing the USA playing a major part in the world politics and ignoring other countries oppinions ( Iraq seems to come to mind here ) and here I have to say that my own government made me sick...to go with GB and USA despite the fact that the danish people was against the war.
USA have never ratified the basic human rights...they CAN`T since they implore the death penalty...I do not really have a red line in this post...it is just a way of starting a debate and a way for me to went some feelings.

I canīt get over the duplicity of american politics and the duplicity of many americans...I fear this attitude might bring George Bush Jr. another term...wich would indeed be a disaster!

I am tempted to Yell POWER TO KERRY...but to be honest...I donīt know him and I canīt say that heīll be good...but he WILL be better than Bush.

A Frustrated Dane

[ 04-02-2004, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
I could be out of place in saying this, but this really belongs in the Current Events forum more than anything.

As far as the death penalty is concerned I say let the punishment fit the crime. I'm not going to try and set the scale by which that is measured mind you.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Sorry, no wiews on the death penalty. Just views. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

No one can really be judged to that extent by a human being. Only God can. If I see him testifying in court, go for it.

[ 03-04-2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Dalamar Stormcrow ]
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

*LOL* srry Dalemar
My written english is not up to date...

Frustrating...!
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Kill 'em all!

Seriously, I understand your frustration with Bush's America. Lots of us certainly feel it. Here's hoping for a brighter four years. My opinion right now is that just about anyone else in the White House would be an improvement.
InjaYew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
Donut
Jack Burton

Got a feeling this one might take off wery soon!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I'm against the death penalty.
Too many innocent people die this way. I'd rather see a criminal walk free, then an innocent man getting executed. It's also more expensive then life imprisonment and doesn't seem to reduce crime. Besides that, I don't really consider it to be very civilised either.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Moving to the Current Events Forum. This sort of debate fits best over there.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I support the death penalty. I also support human rights. The two are not mutually exclusive.

The only criminals that face the death penalty are those who have been convicted of especially heinous murder cases.

The criminal not only violated the other person's "human rights" but also took away their "right to life". It is fitting that the criminal's own life should be forfeit in such a case.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

What Cerek said. In my view, only a life can pay for a life, and I am all for holding people responsible to the debts they voluntarily incur.

Of course, I think CA just recently passed a law putting a maximum recovery of $250,000 on medical malpractice cases. So, I guess if it's a doctor that does the killing, $250,000 will be the value of a life. So, maybe MONEY can pay for a life. If you're poor and can't pay, though, you should die.

Did I get that right? [img]tongue.gif[/img]