Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-06-2001, 07:04 AM   #1
Halfknight

Did anyone else use the tomes from BG1 to boost all your new characters? If you don't know how, reply to this message and I'll explain it. Yes, I cheated

Old 01-06-2001, 07:21 AM   #2
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I would think the easiest way is to transfer your character to BGII and start a multiplayer game. Then to save said game after the beginning intro. Then to import character enough times to get as many tomes as you need (Cheating using the BGII tools already available rather than CLUACONSOLE stuff). When you are done moving stuff, export character and then reload savegame. Then import the exported character. Pass out the goodies and then save the game one more time. Reload and import original character. Save game one more time just in case something happens so you don't have to do it again, then party on dudes/dudettes. If you import your character AFTER the beginning intro, you start off with all items from where you left off at in BGI.
Old 01-06-2001, 07:25 AM   #3
Halfknight

Its faster if you bring in six of your own characters (this is starting with one tome) you export each of the characters after giving them the tome, save the game, import your characters again. they should each have one book. Then give all six books to each of your characters in turn and export them. And repeat.
Your way works better with storyline characters who can't get exported though.

Old 01-06-2001, 07:30 AM   #4
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Yeah, actually, that's what got me to do it that way cause I wanted to give them to Minsc, Imoen (lot of help that did cause she left the party after leaving the dungeon), and to Jaheira. I only passed out a couple of tomes though cause it wouldn't allow me to import the NPC's and I couldn't get them back to the stats they were at without cheating in some fashion. I think that the game could have asked which savegame you wanted to begin from and then adjust the NPC's to match the levels and stats they were at in BGI. I really didn't want to get my items back like that either, but I figured since the game had cheated me out of my levels (I had also used exp cap remover in BGI) I would trade this for my items. I left Jaheira, Minsc, and Imoen with whatever items they could find though. They were at a higher level in BGI too, but I was kind of really getting tired with the whole ordeal. They did ok as they were.
Old 01-06-2001, 08:20 AM   #5
Ramon

Well, just two thoughts:

Why don 't you just use Shadowkeeper to set the ability scores of your new characters to where they should be with the tomes ?

I did that and don't even consider it as cheating, since all player-generated characters and
npcs from your party in the first part are storylinewise imports from BG I anyway. As long as you stay within the limits of the tomes available in BG I plus ToSC (3 points of wisdom, one in each of the other areas) that is. I also changed Imoen, so that she dual-classed after reaching level ten instead of seven, but also deducted the 120.000 exp. points difference from her mage exp. points.
Dual-classing before maxing out your hitpoints and getting decent thieving skills
just is a complete waste and you will never see that with any player-generated character.
And to dual-class from level 4 like Nalia is something for a braindead !

So long,

Ramon

Old 01-06-2001, 08:34 AM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Well, as I had said in another thread, when I first started playing BGII, I didn't know about the shadow keeper deal. Also, I don't really like using it. It's too easy to modify other stats or items. Too tempting in other words. At least by using the game to get where I needed to go, I was limited in what I could do. I feel that you should pay for cheating, otherwise, why play at all?
Old 01-06-2001, 09:00 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Tobbin, all I can say is that you have a lot of patience.
Old 01-06-2001, 09:03 AM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Well, I did used to be in the military, so I learned quite a bit of patience. LOL