Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

more details, this case made me so friggen angry ...

"In 1983, a young Black graffiti artist named Michael Stewart was found strangled to death while in the custody of 11 Transit Authority police officers. His crime was spraying graffiti on a subway station wall. During the case, the coroner lost the evidence and the grand jury found none of the officers guilty"

It will be interesting to follow this new story to see what happens

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

It is indeed disturbing. The fact that it could have been anyone's mother, or wife or friend - not like she was a murderer or something.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar View Post
Am I the only one who is for some reason disturbed by this?
You're not. I find it very disturbing when people die while detained by authorities.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I also find it disturbing. In a true Darwin death, the deceased does something incredibly stupid, like urinating on a power line.

This is not a case of anything like that, but a tragic turn of events. Yep... somehow strangling yourself with handcuffs is pretty strange. The fact that she was handcuffed in the airport for some issue related to boarding a plane, and that no one noticed or paid attention until she was dead... that could have been anyone's parent, wife, or child.

I guess I travel often enough that I've seen a number of the best and brightest behind airport security, and I'm not sure how many of them I'd trust with my life, let alone with my baggage.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellard View Post
"In 1983, a young Black graffiti artist named Michael Stewart was found strangled to death while in the custody of 11 Transit Authority police officers. His crime was spraying graffiti on a subway station wall. During the case, the coroner lost the evidence and the grand jury found none of the officers guilty"
This particular case resulted in Michelle Shocked writing a song in 1998, Graffiti Limbo, specifically about this case and dedicated to him.

From the NYT:
Ten transit police officers will not face departmental charges in connection with the 1983 arrest and death of Michael Stewart, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority board decided yesterday.

But the board unanimously approved changes in the department's procedures for investigating charges of police misconduct and the way it handles emotionally disturbed persons.

Yesterday's action means only one officer, John Kostick, will face departmental charges in Mr. Stewart's death. Officer Kostick will face perjury charges in the case, in which Mr. Stewart, a 25-year-old black man, was arrested on charges of scrawling graffiti at a Manhattan subway station, and lapsed into a coma while in police custody. He died 13 days later.

Mr. Stewart, of Brooklyn, was arrested at the First Avenue-14th Street subway station at 2:30 A.M. on Sept. 15, 1983. He tried to escape and was restrained. Moments after a police van carrying him arrived at the Bellevue Hospital Center, a nurse noticed he had turned blue and stopped breathing. Report Criticized Officers

If ever you need an example of a miscarriage of justice this one speaks out loud and clear. I found it very disturbing, and indeed the whole case morally bankrupt, from the first time I read about it; many years later my views have not changed. An instance like this speaks of the fundamental wrongness at the heart of some sections of not just the US legal systems, but most, if not all, institutionalised legal system.

Sometimes I just find this world a really scary place to be.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.

Last edited by Unglaublich Verwustung; 10-02-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #16
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion

The article doesnt say how irate she was, but i would have thought handcuffs are a bit over the top if she was just throwing a tantrum - sure put her in the security room, but to me, handcuffs seem pretty harsh.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #17
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I saw the news flash yesterday evening, and "just" how the interviewed SGT carried himself, and the choice of words disgusted even me! The woman in question "went into an uncontrollable fit, and security cuffed her for restraining purposes with the intention to remove the cuffs later". Once she had calmed down ~I can't recall what he said,~ but was close to she went into a screaming frenzy and the security personnel left her in cuffs in the room due to the excess noise. She "expired while handcuffed in the detention room"....

I find that ever so disturbing, in many ways...

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
Lord Michael
Elminster

Well, I'm not going to make any friends by saying this, but good riddance. She was obviously a knucklehead, and WAY too high-strung. She probably would have killed someone eventually in her life.
I know all of you bleeding hearts think I'm being insensitive and evil, but sheesh...how important could that flight be????
I'm all for thinning the population of this planet, by whatever means required. Luckily, some idiots make it easy for Mother Nature.

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #19
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

I want to know why they still haven't determined a cause of death. Isn't it easy to figure out if someone asphyxiated?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #20
Lord Michael
Elminster

I'm suprised there was no camera in the holding room. I mean, this is New York, right? It is post 9-11, right? What happened to this coutry's militant paranoia?

Damn, I hope it's not gone....just when I was gaining hope for the end of the world!!!! #$@!!*&&

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote