Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-14-2002, 09:40 AM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've downloaded the evaluation version and I've looked up some tutorials online, but I'm just not having much luck.

I am trying to produce some new Sigs to rotate in my Posts. The MAIN thing I am trying to accomplish is putting (or editing) text in the picture.

The picture below is a good example. The text within the picture is too small to read, so I had to add it below the picture. Deathkiller was able to enlarge it so that it could be read, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

Please help.

Also, I've downloaded some different Sig Portraits (in case I decide to switch back to my "barbaric" persona). I've been able to insert text into these portraits, but what I REALLY want to do is have the text run vertically BESIDE the picture (not in it). How can I do that? Or, if that can't be done, then how do I get the text aligned vertically instead of horizontally within the picture?

Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Moni

I use PSP 6....7 is just a little more into graphics tweaking than I want to deal with but some things should be basically the same, like putting text into images.

When using your font tool, a window pops up to type your text in, right?
Well in that same window, but above the place where you are typing, there should be places where you can choose you font, what size you want it, and whether to create it as vector, a selection, floating, etc.
You can click on the little arrow next to size and scroll down to something bigger or type in anything larger than its limit.

More often than not, I create text as floating so it can be moved around and tweaked with plug-ins or the rotate/flip/mirror options.
(Make sure if you use rotate, to sharpen it when you are done)

One of the great things about PSP is that you do not have to have your fonts installed...you can just open them and there they are in your selection choices! I have the minimum of fonts installed on my system but have a collection of literally thousands that I can use in PSP anytime. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just happened to get online right now to look for a "Pepsi" font...seems Winzip turned it into something else altogether when I zipped and back them up a couple of years ago lol.

In order to make a gif with moving text next to a still pic, run the animation shop and make your text portion there in a gif with a transparent background, making the area you are working on bigger than your pic and placing the text to one side.
You can then send each frame to PSP for a copy & paste of your pic into each frame as a new layer (so it will place it in the same place every time) and if you have to adjust it, make sure you pay attention (bottom-left corner of PSP to what pixels you are starting and stopping on and adjust every one from and to the same pixels so that the end-gif doesn't have your image switching its position while the gif runs.
When you are satisfied with the result, you can crop the gif in the Animation shop with one fell swoop...one crop wil crop every frame to you specs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have some text tutorials but I am not sure if I can open them anymore since I upgraded my aol. I'll look them up and if I can and if you don't mind a little spam mail, I'll send you some to help you get used to using the program.

When does your trial version expire?

Old 06-14-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric

Thanks for the info, Moni.

I've used PrintMaster and PrintArtist a LOT at work...so I'm familiar with how to change the style and size of the fonts.

I didn't know what Vector, Floating, Selection, etc meant.

I managed to get one Portrait done today, but saved it as a bitmap instead of a gif or jpg, so RanchoWeb wouldn't upload it. I'll try to fix that one next week.

I have Paint Shop Pro at work and today was Day 8 of the evaluation. I've downloaded it twice here at home, but never had enough time to mess with it.

My BIG question now is - how can I edit text that is ALREADY in a picture. Deathkiller was able to enlarge the text that appears in my Sig below (look up a thread similar to this called "Need Help with Sig" or something to that effect). Can I actually capture and edit pre-existing text, or do I just have to cover it up?

I assume the layers and transparent backgrounds will allow me to insert text that runs vertically instead of horizontally. Let me know if that is true.

Thanks again for all of your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2002, 10:41 PM   #4
Moni

You're Welcome!
Have you played with the vector selection yet?
It allows you to tweak the font in different directions...I use it with images now and then but have never used it on a font until just now...its pretty neat! Use the "Selections" "Select None" option when you are done tweaking it to your liking. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The "Selection" option in the font window gives you just a selected outline of the text to do whatevber with...that ought to come in handy with engraved looks...still trying to find a saved pfc with those tutorials in them lol.

Unfortunately, unless you have that particular picture in all its layers and the text has its own layer, you'll have to paint it out unless you are comfortable having the white around the edges in which case you can use the selection tool on the tolbar to make a copy and paste it into a new image. Still, even in layers, there would be no way to edit the text itself.

If it the font you lack, find out which one it is, I probably have it and passing it along wouldn't be a problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Layers and transparent backgrounds will allow you to insert text that runs vertically instead of horizontally. It is time consuming but can be done. You can also create text on a curved path...I'll go look harder for those tutes.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:10 PM   #5
adam warlock

layers...... you must.... worship LAYERS!

*bows* trust me, they are handy
Old 06-18-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
Moni

Well it looks like I'll need to re-install an older version of AOL to get my tutorials open lol.
I did find this though and I think you'll find it very useful, at least I hope so. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Renald's PSP Links

Its a database of links to tutorials and has over 5,100 entries.

I used to have a neat little program that kept bookmarks organized in a virtual book, with content listings and "Chapters" for different subjects...the "pages" of the book were the actual websites. [img]smile.gif[/img] If I can find it, I'll hook you up.

Old 06-18-2002, 06:38 PM   #7
Moni

Well I did not have to look for it because I remembered the name of the program (yay! lol)

It's KeeBoo . You can download a trial version.
It really came in handy when I was learning PSP by being able to keep the tutorials and links organized. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Its a neat program! If I was a commited web surfer, I'd buy it.