Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Started a game but I keep getting a crash relating to something called Deep6. Anyone else ran into this? Is there a fix?
leptomeninges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Deep6 is the main W&W program. We've seen these kinds of things before... take a look at the Tech Tips thread (stickied at the top of the forum page) for the things we've found.

What's your OS version? There are a number of things that have to be done in order to run properly on XP or Win2k, and if you haven't done those, it will be challenging at best.

Post back with your system specs (OS, memory, patched or unpatched) and issue history (when does the crash happen? What's going on before it crashes? Where are you in the game?)

Odds are we can find an answer and get you back in the Gael Serran quickly [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

(Hope this won't double post. The previous didn't come up for some reason.)

Well, to begin with, I'm kind of a computer idiot, but I'm running Windows XP on a brand new Sony Vaio laptop. The CDs are in the room with my sleeping wife, so I can't do more tests to see if I can reliably find what triggers the crash, but it has happened every time I've played. I recall that in one case it was as I launched the game and in another it was as I was trying to exit. I've never been in game for long. If more details are needed I can run some tests tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
leptomeninges
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Found this in the tips thread. I'll try it tomorrow.
My version of the game is unpatched btw.

6.2-6.5) Game crashes then receiving a memory error message, game crashes when talking, using/giving, casting spells, disarming.
Problem: Wizards & Warriors is not compatible with Windows 2000/XP
Solution: Go to your shortcut in Windows, either on desktop or in start menu. Right click the shortcut and choose properties. Click on the compatibility tab. Check the box "Run in compatibility mode" and select "Windows 95 layer". Playing when logged in as Administrator can also help.
Solution provided by: WillowIX and Xignal
Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Give it a shot. BTW, I'm currently playing in Win2k compatibility, not Win95. And it works for me... XP Home, SP2.

Make sure to check for virtual memory (used fixed, not variable), and be sure to do the virtualdub thing. Details are in the Tech Tips thread. Defragging doesn't hurt either... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote