Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #61
Laughing Rogue
Welcomed New User

Smiley Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Yup im using DirectX 6. i knocked it down to 6 in order to get some old Might & Magic games to run.

I appeared to solve that naga problem but i still dont know what caused it or why what i did fixed it.

I ran dxdiag and it all turned up fine. I changed it to run on win 95 that didnt help. i also done all the things in the first page of this thread. Setting virtual memory, disabling non-essential programs, defragging, and such. I reinstalled the whole game a few times. I even instaled Wizards & Warriors on another computer and transfered my saved games over and even that didnt fix the game from crashing after i killed the Naga!!

So i decided to reinstall it 1 more time. Delete everything i had done preivously including reinstalling the patch and town mask avi things that are messed up cuz of XP and started a new party of character from scratch.... that eventualy did it. I would still like to know if anyone has any idea why that happened.

So im good for now up until i come across the next game crashingly devastaing bug! Cya, im off to Shurugeon Castle!!

Last edited by Laughing Rogue; 09-03-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Laughing Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #62
Dread
Welcomed New User

Default Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Greetings.

I recently found W&W again(I really like classic RPGs and palyed it before) and so far it won't run.

I always get the error: 'the instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 02750000. The memory could not be written.

here is my spec:
Core2 Quad @3.0GHZ
2048MB Corsair RAM(Dual Channel)
GeForce 8800GTS 320MB (graphics driver is the newest ^^)
Wnidows XP Prof with SP2
directX 9.0c

I already tried the following things:
compatibility mode: win95, 98, 2k
run in 640x480
reduced color quality to 16bit
decompressed the townhub and townmsk videos with virtualdub
starting in administrator mode

same error every time.

I hope you have some more ideas of what I can do to get this game running.

Edit: Also did full installation

Last edited by Dread; 10-09-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #63
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Hi Dread,

One of our forum member, skaven had the similar problem as you. As seen on this thread. http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=97912

According to him, he fixed his problem using Virtual PC, now I'm not sure which version he used. But maybe you could fix yours using that as well.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #64
Dread
Welcomed New User

Greetings again.
Finally came around testing this.

Seems to be true. Works both with virtual pc and on my single-core notebook.
Honestly, I wonder how bad the programmers were. Not only does this game have problems with xp, quite unusual for a game released in 2000, but that it simply refuses to run on a multi-core processor is just a joke, must be the only game in the world with such a behavior.

However, the game crashes roughly every 30 minutes. Any ideas about that?

The bigger issue is: where the hell is the save-button? I only find load game. Does this game only save automatically at certain times? Can't find the manual anymore.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #65
renogaw
Elite Waterdeep Guard

you can save at any time outside the cities.
renogaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #66
renogaw
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is there an updated link for virtualdub? running windows xp and i cannot get out of the second city, and i cannot enter some town buildings.

thanks

EDIT:

kk, went through soulforge, and went through the instructions on changing around the townmsk and townhub files, and ended up not doing anything but giving me a black screen. are those instructions outdated for xp?

Last edited by renogaw; 11-25-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #67
renogaw
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogaw View Post
Is there an updated link for virtualdub? running windows xp and i cannot get out of the second city, and i cannot enter some town buildings.

thanks

EDIT:

kk, went through soulforge, and went through the instructions on changing around the townmsk and townhub files, and ended up not doing anything but giving me a black screen. are those instructions outdated for xp?

ok, found out the difference is xp already knows the file is a .avi file. so if you rename the file townhub1.avi it thinks of it as townhub1.avi.avi and doesn't work. so... when you rename it don't call it .avi and it works perfect.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM   #68
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to both Dread and Regonaw May the beasties of the Gael Serran soon feel the power of your frustrations...

Windows (XP and Vista) both have that habit of not showing you the full file name... irritates me to no end! I usually rename things at the DOS level just to get past that... it's impossible to change an extension otherwise!

I'm glad you got past it, in any case. As for the status of W&W... there are a lot of things that many of us wish they'd done. Unfortunately, the pressures to get games out sometimes mean shortcuts are taken

For the save button, Dread, click on the disk icon when you're in the game. The same interface saves and loads... just which one depends on where you are.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #69
Dread
Welcomed New User

uh guys, you can simply start your explorer, select tools->folder options->view
in this menu you uncheck the option 'hide extensions of known file types' and you'll be shown the file extension everytime. works on XP, should be doable on vista, too, but I'm not sure, since I don't use it.

Strange, I was sure, to only have the option to load a game. Must look into it again, when I have time to play.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #70
GhostWave
Welcomed New User

Hi all. Thanks to the tips here I was able to get W&W running on Windows XP. HOWEVER I can't actually PLAY the game because I can't target any creatures! When I mouse over any of them the cursor doesn't change to indicate that I'm targeting anything, and it won't let me click on the creatures to indicate they are the target of an attack or a spell. I've tried this on two different XP machines and both have the same problem. They're both running Nvidia graphics drivers, one a 8600M GT and the other an 8800 GT.

I'm running with the unofficial patch and the graphics patch (the graphics patch was required to get the game to run at all) and in Win98 compatibility mode. I'm using the gameopt.dat posted here (which was necessary to get the game to run). I tried letting the game do a full install and I've tried doing a manual full install. I tried reducing the hardware acceleration down in the display driver options. I tried switching to software rendering, and the game won't run at all in that mode.

Anyone have any ideas?

GW
GhostWave is offline   Reply With Quote