Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-10-2001, 09:42 AM   #1
Raistlin
Manshoon

I am thinking about (still) trying my hand at multiplayer online gaming.
I would like to know what other DND multis are out there and how they worked. Of course we know about BGII but, outside of a few, it does not seem that many people use it that way. I have been watching the forum for 4-5 months and have seen little relating to it. Outside of CB, Turbovee and Charlie it seems rare. Also i have noted that on the new forum i do not think it has even been mentioned (of course i could have missed a post or two). I can only assume that his lack of interest is due to either high complexity in the start up or poor functioning after startup.
So................What is your favorite multiplayer game? Why

------------------

Balance
Old 03-10-2001, 02:52 PM   #2
JJ/newbie

Raistlin,I would like to multi, cb has told me it works best when someone hosts it locally, but I am clueless. I have a cable modem, and would like to host, but have to ge know-how.

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-10-2001, 04:39 PM   #3
turbovee
Elminster

getting set up locally is kind of difficult in the beginning but when you get it all straight its easy and definitely worth it. Its really a matter of asking someone if they are willing to multi and stay dedicated to it. Bg2 is an awfully long game and multiply that by each player involved for the time it takes for a multi. i.e 3 players = 3 times as long. You have to have people who are willing to stick with it because of this. Once you get your players and agree on a playing time, you have to make sure all of your game configurations are the same. Playing on a 56k modem is difficult. (ask Cb) I recommend a DSL or a cable connection if you are going to multi with more than one other person. I don't recommend more that 3 people if your going to multi BG2. You won't have room for NPCs unless you assign your other players to play the NPCs.
and you can get bogged down with a lot of text flying by as you have to type to each other. This will slow down your game considerably if you can't decide what you want to do as a group

There are several of the RPG games that you can multi with namely IWD, Planescape, Mechcommander, Mechwarrior, Diablo series, Fallout series, Rainbow six, Rogue Spear, Racing games Etc, Etc .....

IWD is excellent for multi because of its linear nature. You know exactly what you need to do next. We spend a lot of time in BG2 deciding what side quests we are going to do or which direction to take, that in itself lends to the fun of BG2 though. Its like your really adventuring with a group and have to make an agreeable decision. Single player or lone multi you lead your whole party around and you alone decides who gets what. In multi you have to share items and balance your party, everyone takes an active role. I cast spells and tank, Cb plays her harps and cast magic, Charlie drinks and steals, and we each have a NPC we control. We have a great time laughing and joking with each other while we play.

The key to getting a multi started is getting people who are really interested in playing. I'm really surprised after all the raving that CB,Charlie and I have given our multi game that others have not dabbled in it. M-player is another good way to join in a game, but it takes a little bit more setting up.

If there are anymore questions please throw them at us, because I would love to see more people getting into multi player and enjoying it the way we do.

------------------
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 03-10-2001, 04:40 PM   #4
Stealthy

Although I prefer solo BG2, Ice Wind Dale works better as a multi, because it was designed to play that way. Hence you don't lose out on side quests etc and story-lines by playing all 6 as PC'c.

------------------

Never accept an invitation from Wolfgir to a BBQ!