Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 07-16-2001, 08:34 PM   #1
Darkman

I've never really been interesting in multi or dual classed characters since they seemed too complicated to bother with. Now that I know a little bit more about the game I am starting to reconsider the possibilities of multi and dualed characters. How exactly do Hit Points work when gaining levels with multiclass characters? Does the player receive a hit dice roll (respective to the class gaining the level up) of HPs each time he levels with each class?? If this is the case then I am baffled as to why more people don't advocate multiclassing! A dwarven fighter/cleric would have loads of HP!!

However, I'm pretty sure I must have this wrong. Someone please explain it to me

Also, do the extra bonuses of 17 and higher CON for fighters apply to multiclassed fighters?

-Darkman
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:24 AM   #2
Ace of Spades
The Magister

Let's pretend you have a fighter/druid with a 17 Con, ok?
When this pc levels-up as a fighter he will get 1d10(dice roll) PLUS 3(Con bonus) divided by 2(number of classes).>>>(1d10+3)/2
When this pc levels-up as a druid he will get 1ddice roll) PLUS 2(non-fighters can get a MAX of 2 bonus HP) divided by 2(number of classes).>>>(1d8+2)/2
Clear as mud, eh?
Ace of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:31 PM   #3
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

Actually, one correction to Aces description. Instead of a 2 classed warrior getting 1d10+3/2 in the example given, it is actually 1d10/2 (all fractions rounded down) +3/2 (all fractions rounded down, meaning that with a multi-classed warrior, when they go up in one of their levels their constitution bonus is relatively the same whether they have a 16 or 17 con, though the game may also use a 2/1 method, where the warrior class is given 2 con bonus and the other class is given 1 at the level up...

Still as clear as mud, isn't it?

------------------
"Beware fool that you put too much stock in the power of the spoken word, lest the unspoken one trample you from behind."
Kormar
Kormar the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 02:09 AM   #4
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

That must explain why my Fighter/Thief has really low HP. Level 6 (both) with 27 HP, CON 11. Hmmm... I'm gonna single class my next time...

-Jafin

------------------

I am Jafin, arch-mage of the HADB clan!
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 10:49 AM   #5
Mage
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Say you're a fighter/mage, with constitution 18 (I never take any less than 18 because I always want maximum hit points). A fighter's maximum is 14 hp per level, a mage's is 6. So every time you go up a level, your maximum hp would be 10 (14+6/2=10). Similarly, if you were a fighter thief, you would get 11 per level (14+8/2=11). Get it?

------------------
~Without knowledge, life is a mere shadow of death~
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 11:00 PM   #6
Therro
Dungeon Master

I also have 1 question concerning multiclass characters..

- When you import a multiclassed character into BG2, do you get to choose Kits for the two classes? (I'm pretty sure this is the case with Dual-classed..)

Thanks! ;p^^

[This message has been edited by Therro (edited 07-21-2001).]
Therro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 11:24 AM   #7
Therro
Dungeon Master

Sorry if I sound impatiant, but...

BUMP

------------------
Old 07-23-2001, 12:25 PM   #8
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Im not sure about how will it work but im pretty sure that you CANT get 2 kits in BG2 without cheating (even if you import a dual character as you say), so youll get 1 kit or none.

------------------
"I wish my Angel was here... I fear nothing with her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 04:51 PM   #9
Therro
Dungeon Master

Heh, thanks..I was just wondering, cause I've beaten BG, and BGII, but I want to take a character through BG, BGII, and ToB (It'll make him *truly* godlike from tomes, etc. ;p ) I really don't know what I want to play though.

-Cleric/Ranger.
-Druid.
-Cleric.
-Elven Archer of Death and Destruction.
-Fighter/Mage

Edit : Alright, I chose an Elven Fighter/Mage..Now I have 1 question.

-> When he levels up in just *one* of the classes, how many hp should he gain..

E.g Moving from Fighter Level 1/Mage level 1, to Fighter Level 2/Mage Level 1

Note: He's an elf and as such only has 17 con.

[This message has been edited by Therro (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 05:45 PM   #10
Therro
Dungeon Master

Errm, not to sound Impatient again..but bump!

I need to get this info soon. ;x