Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2004, 03:25 AM   #11
Grojlach
Zartan

I've got a job at the IKEA Customer Service Department - which basically means I get paid to be cheerful, helpful and knowing when to frown deeply.

Oh, and it's on a part-time basis, naturally - I still attend University.

[ 09-23-2004, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 09-23-2004, 03:26 AM   #12
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
I've got a job at the IKEA Customer Service Department - which basically means I get paid to be cheerful, helpful and knowing when to frown deeply.
But can you put the damned furniture together!? LOL
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 AM   #13
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
But can you put the damned furniture together!? LOL [/QUOTE]Strangely enough, that's hardly an issue. When people complain they can't put the furniture together, it's either a manufacturing error (in which I will provide the customer with a new one or pay his/her money back), or customer incompetence (in which case I'll try to find a subtle way to rub it in ).
Old 09-23-2004, 03:52 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

I just found two new jobs, after several months of frantically looking for one. So far they both seem OK and I think I'm managing fairly well at them. One is as a nanny for two British children who just moved to Amsterdam, and takes about 12 hours per week, the other is more of an incidental job, working for a company that does market research and the like, and my job is to play the hostess and note down everything that is said by the respondents in the interviews. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Before that my jobs included tutoring schoolkids (In English and German), working for H&M (a clothes store) and recruiting members for Amnesty International.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:43 AM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, I'm doing Uni now, in a career-oriented program that hopefully means that I won't have to take a non-professional job ever again.

But when I was in high school and undergrad, I did a bunch of different things. One summer I hired myself out in the neighbourhood (about a ten-block radius) for house and yard stuff that needed doing - I actually got a lot of takers, especially for lawns, gardens, and minor painting and construction jobs. I spent a summer doing department store sales, then one doing warehouse work (sweet job - sucky hours, but good pay, and you essentially get paid for working out). Then I got a couple of short-term office jobs doing clerical work and dealing with inquiries.

High school? You pretty much have to take what you can get - everybody has to serve their time; think of it as a character-building experience. Although, you may get what you want by being focused and persistent and most of all, lucky and/or well-connected.

To reiterate what some people here have alluded to, really go after the jobs you think you'd like. Don't be shy about calling up places you'd like to work, and make sure you follow up. One call or one application is not generally enough to distinguish you from other applicants, especially at your stage of working life, or mine, for that matter. You want to demonstrate your ambition, commitment, and interest. If a place decides to hire somebody, chances are they're more likely to hire someone who drops by or calls again every so often, rather than someone who is a faceless resume (to them).

[ 09-23-2004, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #16
philip
Galvatron

I'm bringing around bills and other mail for the local docter once every few months.

I'm trainer for goalies at my hockey club once a week.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #17
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
I just found two new jobs, after several months of frantically looking for one. So far they both seem OK and I think I'm managing fairly well at them. One is as a nanny for two British children who just moved to Amsterdam, and takes about 12 hours per week, the other is more of an incidental job, working for a company that does market research and the like, and my job is to play the hostess and note down everything that is said by the respondents in the interviews. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Before that my jobs included tutoring schoolkids (In English and German), working for H&M (a clothes store) and recruiting members for Amnesty International.
Congratulations, Mel, good for you. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] To answer the question, I'm a doctor, single practice, poor.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #18
Commo
Dungeon Master

I make sure my computer games work on a daily basis and the TV and the refrigerator gotta make sure tis keeping that food n drink cold and also to see if the Sofa is comfy still

Thas my job...for now...i wanna work in games tho but i have like 0 clue how to get into it or what courses to take...ANY IMPUT WUD BE HAPILY ACCEPTED! ty [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 11:07 AM   #19
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well if you can do not worry about work and focus on school. There will be loads of time to enter the work force. But if you need to work gas station or something would be cool. Or try to find a job where you can still do your homework.

I also work for a large oil company (Suncor). I work in the Control room and I control the pipelines that ship all the oil that the plants make. We ship thousands of barrels a day. Big money I see very little of it.

[ 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Mack_Attack ]
Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Senior Process Consultant - Process Management

Which is a very long winded way of saying I am a Chemical Engineer who's job is to make tons and keep costs down. The plant I am at makes a profit of about a million and a half a day, and my job is to limit the mistakes.