Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2002, 01:16 PM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Please correct me if I am wrong (and I'm sure someone will).

1)The USA has more nuclear weapons than any single country.

2)The US government does not want other countries to make nuclear weapons, but it is okay for the US to have them.

3)The United States does not want other countries to tests nuclear weapons, but we are about to start doing it ourselves.

4)The US wants Russia to reduce the number of nukes they have and so will we. This does not mean destruction of them (at least at our end), it means dismantling them or taking them offline for possible repostioning or later use.

5)The Pentagon has informed the Congress it is planning for the possible use of nuclear weapons against countries that threaten us.

They are preparing contingency plans for using them against 7 nations: China, Russia, Iraq (big surprise), North Korea (2nd big surprise), Iran (last big surprise), Libya, and Syria. (This from the LA Times.)

Think about what happens to this world if even one of these nukes fly.
Think of the fallout.
Think of the legacy we will leave for our children.

I know this is being a little over the top and I apologise, but the bigger danger is how other nations will react to this. We could blame the media for leaking this, but that's not really fair. Just that this adminstration would think of doing this, means BIG trouble for the 3rd stone from the Sun. We a creating a Cold War tha dwarfs the last one. The nuclear clock again approaches midnight.

This Administration is leading us down the highway to Hell and will take the rest of the World with it.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do, the dictator is in control.

Mark

Mark, there's a lot of emotion and reaction in this post.
There are some things I'd want to say about this.

Why the emotional outburst now? Things have been this way for decades. You've attacked Bush as a dictator, which starts removing logic and reality from your words, and actually hampers what you're saying. Same with the one sided attack. Where is the criticism of Pakistan, India, France, Britain, Russia, China, Ukraine and Israel for owning, testing and aiming Nuclear weapons.

France practically destroyed an Atoll (cracking it undersea) near Australia with Nuclear testing, and around the same time blew up the Greenpeace ship "Rainbow Warrior" in New Zealand when it was protesting the testing.

Australia has had the Nuclear Disarmament Part running for office for a long time now. Midnight Oils Peter Garret being a front running spokesman.

This is not a new problem, and people have been working to solve or at least ease the situation for decades.

So why the anger? Why the declaration of "There's nothing we can do about it"? You've given up, despite the forward advances over the last few years.

There is something 'we' can do about it. Whether we are impatient enough to expect, demand and then disappointingly not see resolution in our own lifetime; or instead have the foresight to work for a longer term solution that may eventuate after we have departed, is something to think about.

I prefer to look small as well. Look at the individual. What hope world peace when 'loving spouses' argue? When an individual conflicts with themself. While domestic violence and suicide are rampant, what hope true peace on a grander scale.

Let us look at the inside of humanity. The spirit of the individual - of oneself, and start from there moving outward.

For you and I contribute as much to the state of the world as any 'dictator' skywalker. By embracing blame rather than avoiding it - we embrace the power to change it.

So rather than be distressed by the current climate, see things as they ever have been. Be not nihlistic about the situation, but take joy in small victories, small advances. Every day the world hasn't been destroyed is a bonus. Everyday we continue breathing is a bonus.

Find hope in these smaller victories, for hope is a strength, while fear weakens.

That's my view. Sorry if I come across as pretentious or whatever. I just firmly believe in focussing on what I have now, not what I've lost in the past, or may lose in the future.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 03-12-2002, 03:19 PM   #22
skywalker
Banned User

Sorry about the dictator comment in the final...it was an off hand comment to a remark Bush made about how his job would be easier if he were the dictator of the USA. Perhaps I should have placed a smiley at the end of the sentence.

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." George W. Bush

Well I feel that if America feels that it is the sole Super Power in this world, it needs to lead by example. What has led to this "outburst" as you have described it, is that Bush "seems" to feel that he needs to piss off anyone he doesn't like by pointing nukes at them and threating those who don't buy in on the terrorism issue. He feels we can walk away from environmental issues and free trade, as long as it will get some votes. This is purely my opinion of course.

I can love my country and not love my government. They are 2 different things. I will do my part at the ballot box and vote for those who don't tow a party line on either side.

I'm not sure why you consider this an ouburst, Yorick. I did not use any CAPS.

I do have strong feelings against nukes, as is apparent in my post. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I do appreciate your views, though. Thanx!

Mark
Old 03-12-2002, 03:28 PM   #23
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Well I feel that if America feels that it is the sole Super Power in this world, it needs to lead by example.

Yes but leading by example when it deprives you of the security that you have worked so hard to attain doesn't make sense. As a parent I lead by example some times but it is not a universal constant and I see absolutley nothing wrong with telling my children "Do as I say not as I do" The USA destroying all its nukes will do ABSOLUTELY nothing to encourage India, Pakistan, Korea (north) China, Iraq, Iran, Syria, and several other nuclear possible state to get rid of theirs. I mean hey, we lead by example in many fields such as equal rights for women...I dont see any of those countries jumping on that "Lets all get along" band wagon and treating their women well...

Old 03-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #24
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Face it, the US has no influence on the rest of the world aside from trade. Now if we cut trade with anybody i'm sure that we'd see some missiles launched at us!
Old 03-14-2002, 04:34 AM   #25
Donut
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Face it, the US has no influence on the rest of the world aside from trade. Now if we cut trade with anybody i'm sure that we'd see some missiles launched at us!

What colour is the sky on your planet?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show