Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

World's luckiest man wins the lottery

Ananova

A Croatian dubbed the world's luckiest man after surviving seven major disasters has won the jackpot with his first lottery ticket in 40 years.

Frane Selak, 74, who has won £600,000, said: "I am going to enjoy my life now - I feel like I have been reborn. I know God was watching over me all these years."

His first lucky escape came in 1962 when a train he was travelling on from Sarajevo to Dubrovnik jumped the rails and plunged into an icy river.

Seventeen people drowned and he barely made it to the riverbank suffering from hypothermia, shock, bruises and a broken arm. A year later, he was thrown out of a DC-8 airplane between Zagreb and Rijeka when a door flew open. This time 19 people died but Mr Selak landed in a haystack and escaped with cuts, bruises and shock.

In 1966, a bus he was travelling on in Split lurched into a river, killing four. He swam to safety with cuts, bruises and even more shock.

Accident number four was in 1970 when his car caught fire as he drove along a motorway and he managed to get out with seconds to spare before the fuel tank exploded. His friends began to call him Lucky and he said: "You could look at it two ways. I was either the world's unluckiest man or the luckiest. I preferred to believe the latter."

Three years later, he lost most of his hair when a faulty fuel pump spewed petrol over the hot engine of his Wartburg car and blew flames through the air vents.

In 1995 came his sixth accident when he was knocked down by a bus in Zagreb but sustained only minor injuries - plus the inevitable shock The following year, he was driving in the mountains when he turned a corner to see a UN truck coming straight for him.

His Skoda car crashed through the barrier and over the edge but Mr Salek managed to jump out at the last minute and landed in a tree to see his car explode 300ft below him.

He has also had four failed marriages and, after his lottery win, commented: "I suppose my marriages were disasters too!" But he is now buying a house, a car, a speedboat and is planning to marry his girlfriend who is 20 years his junior.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #2
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Ok, note to self, don't take any trips in which Frane Selak is also a passenger!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i think he deserved that "bonus", after reading what he went through in his life.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

[img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

What a story!

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #5
IronDragon
Elminster

All that and now he is buying a speedboat.

I smell disaster number 8 already.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hey someone else with luck like mine...can I win the lottery now? [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:41 PM   #7
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Did you find this story in the National Enquirer?
Old 06-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

hehe nice story
Old 06-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #9
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I'd go with the fact that he's actually unlucky for all them things to happen to him in the first place!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #10
spydar

wow, talk about your messed up karma