Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2003, 08:04 PM   #11
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Which is what the Tactics mod was trying to prevent [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 08:06 PM   #12
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by teardropmina:
have a question...
why do we install tactics and other improved mods? if we're going to beat all those improved monsters with cheese, why install the mods to begin with?
Because some battles need to be beefed up. I installed Tactics to improve a few easy battles (Copper Coronet, Tor'Gal, Mae'Var, Crypt King) and to make some enemies and battles more realistic (Shark City, Guarded Compound, recently installed random encounters, improved undead, and smarter liches, thinking about improved Chapter 6 areas).

However, I don't see the need to make Mr. K or the Twisted Runies any more difficult than they already are, because they ARE the toughest fights in the game if you don't cheese, and they can be beaten without it! Same with illithid, beholders, etc.

I also chose not to install any of the extra opponents, the toughest random spawns, or the kits.

Whatever floats their boat, I guess. Not like there's an Ironworks Police Force to monitor everyone's playtime or anything. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #13
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
have a question...
why do we install tactics and other improved mods? if we're going to beat all those improved monsters with cheese, why install the mods to begin with?
well, some battles have been made unfairly hard in the Tactics mod. for example, Improved Ilyich team has characters with levels ranging from 11-21! try beating them on insane(thats usually what the hardcore players play tactics on) with crappy characters ranging from lvl. 8-11, and i swear itll take you to a whole new level of head-banging-on-keyboard-syndrome [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #14
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
well, some battles have been made unfairly hard in the Tactics mod. for example, Improved Ilyich team has characters with levels ranging from 11-21! try beating them on insane(thats usually what the hardcore players play tactics on) with crappy characters ranging from lvl. 8-11, and i swear itll take you to a whole new level of head-banging-on-keyboard-syndrome [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
well, my point is that you can choose NOT to install those "unfiarly hard" battles (i.e. improved Ilyich at insane; imp. Ilyich at core isn't that unfairly hard) ...if you want to beat those battles with cheese, why install them to begin with?
Old 08-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #15
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Sure they are hard but there is (almost) always a way to beat them. Of course it requires a lot of banging-my-head-into-the-wall. Or take Pontifex for example. He is one little tough opponent.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:07 PM   #16
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Pirengle, I really agree with what you said, and my point exactly = one can pick and choose the more "appropriate" components of the tactics (don't have to install the whole mod).

one thing though...ToB related spoiler,

if playing SoA with ToB installed, as early as Ch. 6, some characters would be getting HLAs, and since HLAs are legit, and shouldn't be counted as "cheese" (of course we can say, using HLAs in SoA is cheesy ^_*); anyway, with HLAs, some of the most difficult battles in SoA become quite easy, some too easy.
for example, once Jaheira was able to summon fallen Deva when we went in the twisted rune, and that (I agree) one of the most difficult battles in SoA became unbelievably easy (with Fallen Deva, my party became "unfairly tough" for the twisted rune folks it seems~~). In this case, an improved version might make it again a tough fight, or we can always force ourselves not to use HLAs in SoA^_^
Old 08-24-2003, 04:59 AM   #17
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
well, my point is that you can choose NOT to install those "unfiarly hard" battles (i.e. improved Ilyich at insane; imp. Ilyich at core isn't that unfairly hard) ...if you want to beat those battles with cheese, why install them to begin with? [/QUOTE]its all about discovering those cheesy tactics yourself . now what i dont understand is those people who ask for the cheesy tactics immidiately after dying...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote