Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

I'm sure PJ is going a happy dance [img]smile.gif[/img] Sadly though Sean Austin did not get a supporting actor nod

Another bit of good news is Johnny Dep got a best acting nod for the role of Capt Jack Sparrow!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
dplax
Jack Burton

My friends whom I was talking with on MSN reaction was:
"Only?!"

But still I think that this year will be very good for Lord of the Rings.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Wow, I thought it'd get about 5.. this is great! Though I've not seen the third episode, the first two were one of the best book-to-movie conversions ever, along with A Clockwork Orange!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
quietman1920

You know, this is actually a very cruel year in the film industry. If LOTR sweeps, which it will, some other films that would have won in any other year will get skunked.

'Seabiscuit' is an Amazing movie; you can't watch it and Not be inspired.

'Lost In Translation' not only is Bill Murray's Best Work (including Groundhog Day), but its rumored that the affair between him and Scarlett Johansson on screen actually is the story of the director's (Sophia Coppola's) affair with an aging middle aged American film star whose been married for 15 years and does commercials in Japan. Coincidentally, Harrison Ford, an aging American filmstar who had been married for 15 years and frequently does commercials in Japan, had his divorce finalized just this past summer.

Both of these movies Kick Ass over some of the prior award winners, like the crappy 'Moulin Rouge' and 'As Good As It Gets'. But because LOTR is such an unstoppable tidal wave, they'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 awards each.

Historically, this is not unprecidented, however. "Its A Wonderful Life" recieved Zero awards the year it was up. Its rival, who swept the competition? "Casablanca"...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:
You know, this is actually a very cruel year in the film industry. If LOTR sweeps, which it will, some other films that would have won in any other year will get skunked.

'Seabiscuit' is an Amazing movie; you can't watch it and Not be inspired.

'Lost In Translation' not only is Bill Murray's Best Work (including Groundhog Day), but its rumored that the affair between him and Scarlett Johansson on screen actually is the story of the director's (Sophia Coppola's) affair with an aging middle aged American film star whose been married for 15 years and does commercials in Japan. Coincidentally, Harrison Ford, an aging American filmstar who had been married for 15 years and frequently does commercials in Japan, had his divorce finalized just this past summer.

Both of these movies Kick Ass over some of the prior award winners, like the crappy 'Moulin Rouge' and 'As Good As It Gets'. But because LOTR is such an unstoppable tidal wave, they'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 awards each.

Historically, this is not unprecidented, however. "Its A Wonderful Life" recieved Zero awards the year it was up. Its rival, who swept the competition? "Casablanca"...
Seabiscuit was good but it did not really impress me that much. Not enough were I would wish no oscar upon it. Lost in Translation was great and I do agree that Bill has a great chance to grasp a naked golden guy this year. Though I think Johnny Dep's acceptance speech (should he win instead) could possibly be more funny [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
spydar

I'm hearing that movies like Cold Mountain, Last Samurai, and Mystic River are all really really good, which makes me nervous for LotR. I know it can't possibly win them all (though that would be unbelievably cool) but I really hope that the Academy decide to get over their fear of praising fantasy-based movies and blockbusters. there's a reason a blockbuster is a blockbuster, cause it's good!

my friends and I think it'd be really cool if they gave LotR an Oscar for the 3 movies as a whole, as one complete story. but that ain't likely to happen.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #7
Lord of things
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am glad LotR got 11 nomenations. I thought it wasa good picture. So I hope LotR wins at least 6
Old 01-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

LoTR is for all intents and purposes a foreign movie, paid-for with American money. The academy doesn't like foreign flicks recieving the highly-exalted 'best movie' award. RotK cannot win. It will, however, win alot of the 'lesser' awards, but I would say that the academy will allow neither Peter Jackson, nor the film itself, to take home the best director and best film awards.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

Go Captain Jack Sparrow! He did excelent in that, the way he walked and talked! Hope he can nab a golden dude!
Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

RotK will probably win best picture because they've been waiting 3 years for the end of the trilogy to give it best picture. They've pretty much been looking at is as one movie split into 3 parts across 3 years. Chances are it will win best picture, but I do not think that they will give Jackson the best director. They are going to try to spread out the awards a bit (they do that every year; even if they give best picture and best director to the same movie, they'll give best actor and actress to stars of other movies). Bill Murray has a great chance of winning best actor; Charlize Theron has a great chance of winning best actress (they love when actresses go out on a limb like she did in that movie). RotK will probably win best picture and maybe 4 others in lesser categories (visual effects, etc.). I don't even think it will win adapted screenplay.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin