Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2002, 05:14 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
quote:
I'll have to agree that a lot of it really, really blows. Like for example DragonBall Z.
DBZ isn't that bad

Animes are just cartoons made in Japan..so if you like cartoons you'll like Anime [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img] Uh.. I like cartoons, but really don't care for Anime at all!

Give me a good Disney animated feature or cartoon any day! Heck even Scooby Doo was better drawn and acted! Half the Anime I've seen looks like badly dubbed foreign films where the dialog and the mouth movements aren't the same! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] And I agree with LadyZ on the drawings. I really think the oversized round eyes and 'big hair' they all seem to have isn't very appealing aesthetically. Not to mention that the do sort of start looking alike after a while!
Old 06-22-2002, 05:16 AM   #12
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well take it from a Wolf who has been a Manga fan mainly for around eleven years. There is manga and there IS MANGA!

If you want to find the good ones, check out creators like Masamune Shorow´s Akira (first one is a bit over the top, but the following series are reall good and a bit more to the truth of things. Pretty proportionate for characters and such). Also Masamunes Ghost in the Shell is IMHO still one of the best series ever done. The philosophy angles (where is Donut??? ) are great. Also a favourite of mine is Yukito Kishiro´s Alitha Battle Angel. A bit more of the big swords but also a bit philosophical but also on the more proportionate side of things. Can´t remember who did it, but Ninja Scrolls is a must to see if you want lifelike swords and intense action! (Almost as good as Jackie Chan!! )

For some info on Masamune.. http://www.asgard.gen.nz/anime/shirow/complete.html

For Yukito Kishiro
http://www.interq.or.jp/drums/tsutom...p/E-frame.html

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 06-22-2002, 05:39 AM   #13
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
DBZ isn't that bad

Animes are just cartoons made in Japan..so if you like cartoons you'll like Anime [img]smile.gif[/img]
Nonsense... I love cartoons (Futurama, Family Guy, Invader Zim, South Park, Duckman, The Critic, can also enjoy Transformers and X-Men (Evolution) for nostalgia purposes) but I don't care much for anime at all. And DBZ *is* that bad. How many shows have the horrible tendency to spread a single battle over 10 episodes or so? Episodes in which hardly anything actually really happens?
*shiver*
But I'm told by some self-proclaimed real anime fans that they also keep aloof from the series called Dragonball Z as it is giving anime a bad name(supposedly, not my opinion. I don't care about anime either way .
Old 06-22-2002, 06:06 AM   #14
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Not to mention that the do sort of start looking alike after a while!
LOL, no kidding! I was going to say that after watching Speed Racer when I was a kid, they all look alike anyway.

Does anyone know if Speed Racer is the grandaddy of anime?

Old 06-22-2002, 06:24 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

*yawn* I agree, LadyZ... anime's not for me either. LOL, to think that a few centuries back, the artistic kids were all dreaming of becoming a student of Rembrandt's, now they're drawing anime [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'm not even talking about the actual cartoons either, which I won't watch for reasons of having better things to do , but just the pics that you see popping up positively everywhere. It's just repetition of an old trick, mostly. But hey, that's just my opinion [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2002, 06:29 AM   #16
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

There are a few good ones but mostly its just some girl in a school uniform saving the world.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:30 AM   #17
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Half of it is just main characters standing around groaning like they're constipated. They waste several episodes doing this, then they exchange seven punches and the battle is over.
Quote:
*yawn* I agree, LadyZ... anime's not for me either
Quote:
Pokemon sucked.Anime is okay.Just depends on what i'm watching basicly.
O_O DUDE The Japanese Poke Rap was one of the most badass video's i've seen, i don't know what language you watch your anime in but Pokémon (the game) was a really GREAT game, but Nintendo got a little obsessed with how people enjoyed the liscense, and I'm sure Miyamoto would have rather not even made that game had he known what a crazy mania it would serve. Some of the Eps were pretty funny, but from what i've heard they were all banned form US TV... not that Anime is good on Amerian TV... if you watch anime on TV i'm sorry but you haven't experienced true anime... you don't even know what anime is. Most of the stuff on TV is from the 70s in Japan, did you know that? DBZ was made in the earlie 80s, Dragonball the late 70s, and they aren't even SHOWING GT yet, that was because Toryama was the master of suspense, he does SO LITTLE in such a long ammount of time that it boggles the mind! DBZ was impressive because of it's lenghte, it's stature, and it's populatiry, HOWEVER from what i've seen, American obsession with DBZ is like a zombie being risen from a grave that should've never been tampered with... WHY THE HELL do they even translate the stuff and put it on TV anyway? If you're going to show it on TV, you don't want to Cencor it and you sure as hell don't need to slap a label on it that says Y7... Because DBZ wasn't "just for the kids" back in its day, NOTE i speak of it as a t hing of the past, thats because i've seen the whole damn series and i'll tell you, the plot was incredibly long, but per each episode they only squeezed in about 3 seconds of the plot @_@

If you want to see some real anime, you go out to suncoast video and you buy yourself a copy of Princess Mononoke, YOU CAN'T SAY that Princess Mononoke wasn't the GREATEST anime of all time BECAUSE IT WAS Infact I cried when i learend that it wasn't popular in US theatres, WHAT THE HELL! IT OUTSOLD TITANIC! AND YET EVERY REPORT SAID: "It's just another cartoon movie" MY FREAKING ASS! I'm sorry but if Gene Siskel (rest his soul) and Roger Ebert Gave Akira 2 Thumbs up that's telling you something! ANIME is GOOD and you can't just say "Pokemon" and "DBZ" and expect those HORRIDLY voice acted, plot-trimmed, peices of absolute $)@* to act as represenatvies of What TRUE ANIME and MANGA are!

I can name a hundred anime series that I'm sure at least HALF OF you'd fall in love with!

The following i've seen and are beautiflly animated, have an all-star cast of Japanese voice actors and can be bought at your local store (Caution, watching in English WILL hurt your ears, if you don't know Kanji by now, WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? Just incase: Use Subtitles, they're accurate 75% of the time)

Generator Gawl, The Record of Lodoss War (OVA NOT TV SERIES) Photon, Akira, The Venus War, Iria Zeriam The Animation, Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory, Gundam 0080 the war in the pocket Zoids, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Magical Girl Uetena, Cutey Honey, Dirty Pair, Rayearth, Third Eye, Slayers, Blue Seed, Gunsmith Cats, Nuku Nuku, TV Girl AI, X THE MOVIE, RURONI KENSHIN, SAMURAI X, SPRIGGAN, JIN ROH, PERFECT BLUE AND ROJIN Z!!!! *pant pant pant*

Heighlights for People who like deep rich storylines:

Serial Experinments: Lain and Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue

Heiglights for those who want Wanton Violence and Action:

Akira, Spriggan, Ninja Scroll

Just Check them out, RENT THEM, i don't care, whatever you do, at least see Mononoke, Because it will change your opinion on Anime, Don't do it for me, DO it for the Otaku of the world, and stop dissing a WORD in General, diss specific shows, You can't say a WHOLE BOOK SERIES is bad if you read A translated synopsis of one of the older books covers... AND BELIVE ME, That's what you're doing here, ALL OF YOU... Dising Anime in Genral, I can't belive you people! Watch Perfect Blue, It's nothing like what you normally would generallize anime as, or Jinn Roh, the wolf brigade, both very realistic, OH AND SPRIGGAN that's a damn fine movie too!

AAAH You'VE GOT ME RanTINg NoW!!!!

O_O Are you saying,. by dissing anime, that you're dissing MY ARTWORK

O_o

I... I'm just hurt... T_T

You let TV shows base your judgement on a wonderfull artform... fine.. fine... just let ignorance get the better part of you see if i care...

Old 06-22-2002, 07:35 AM   #18
Lord Shield

LOL!! Well I'm glad you're Anime list didn't include Hentai films - those things are ODD!

Old 06-22-2002, 07:38 AM   #19
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I don't diss Anime, I just diss the anime that I've seen so far, and not for the style of drawing. But for the style of the absolutely horrid stories that I've seen so far, like I mentioned, I love the somewhat anime-style FF7. Even though they did make the mistake of making the coolest character ever in the history of all games and in that game a mere side-character with hardly any relation to the plot at all....
Old 06-22-2002, 07:39 AM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

Um Deathkiller, calm down. Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Of course I can say I dislike the general style in which anime is drawn, I don't see why I couldn't. I'm not yelling "anime sucks!!!", I'm just saying that I personally don't like it. If that insults you, I'm sorry - that's your own call. Personally I think that when artistically expressing yourself, you're going to have to deal with criticism and people not liking your style. I've never been the type to flatter and pay empty compliments when I don't mean them - better a well-meant point of criticism than empty flattery. What if I prefer Pre-Raphaelite paintings to impressionism? Do you think Monet would give two shits?