Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2001, 01:30 AM   #1
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have been watching CNN for about 4 hours a day off and on since the attacks started on Afghanistan. This is what I have noticed.

IT IS ALWAYS NIGHTTIME IN AFGHANISTAN

No matter what time you turn on the TV there is a live feed from Afghanistan that displays a green "nightscope" screen. Why do they always have to show this "nightvision" display. According to the Pentagon this is a 24 hour strike, but we never see any daytime strikes. Instead we see a sideways shot of constant explosions. some of these explosions take up the entire screen. How is it possible that CNN has a camera that vies a small portion of Afghanistan possibly Kabul that is constantly 24 hours a night being bombed by America. Something does not seem right with this. Please, before you respond to this E-mail, watch CNN and decide for yourself. Let me know what you think.

Gilidarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:33 AM   #2
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

I've been watching CNN. Are you aware of the time zone diference?

At around 2 AM eastern, you can catch live daytime feed from Afghanastan. They are almost 9 hours ahead of the U.S.

Welcome to the board by the way!

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

"I've had it up to here, listening to a small segment of people try to put down America! America's the greatest land on Earth, and we oughta be proud of what we have! I'm proud of America, I'm proud of our people, and I'm gonna prove it. We're American and DAMN proud of it! Frankly I'm getting a little ticked off...go ta ****"... Dink (if anyone knows who originally said this, please let me know!)

[This message has been edited by Liliara (edited 10-12-2001).]
Liliara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:41 AM   #3
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As I said before I watch CNN a lot and I have watched it all of hours of the day. I am extremly aware of the Time Zone. My point is have you ever seen daytime bombing shots. I am not anti-American quite the opposite. I am just trying to help people see the other side. This CNN thing does not make sense and I REALLY would like a resonable explanation. Even now at 11:30MT it is daytime in Afghanistan yet they still show the Green screen with LIVE showing on the screen.

My second point was why would the camera angle display so many bombs being dropped on one small area. Some of the explosions take up half of the screen. It just does not seem right.

At least try to be a little open-minded.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:47 AM   #4
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

My TV is back and forth between the news channels from 9AM to 3 AM.
I notice a distinct difference in the bombing patterns. True, not much daytime footage is shown, but then again, you have to make sure that the footage you are seeing is truly said to be LIVE. The news repeats itself for those who haven't been watching all day. As for the daylight footage, the journalists and camera men there are in great danger. Maybe the only time they feel it is safe to come out is when it is night.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

"I've had it up to here, listening to a small segment of people try to put down America! America's the greatest land on Earth, and we oughta be proud of what we have! I'm proud of America, I'm proud of our people, and I'm gonna prove it. We're American and DAMN proud of it! Frankly I'm getting a little ticked off...go ta ****"... Dink (if anyone knows who originally said this, please let me know!)
Liliara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 11:37 AM   #5
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilidarius:
As I said before I watch CNN a lot and I have watched it all of hours of the day. I am extremly aware of the Time Zone. My point is have you ever seen daytime bombing shots. I am not anti-American quite the opposite. I am just trying to help people see the other side. This CNN thing does not make sense and I REALLY would like a resonable explanation. Even now at 11:30MT it is daytime in Afghanistan yet they still show the Green screen with LIVE showing on the screen.

My second point was why would the camera angle display so many bombs being dropped on one small area. Some of the explosions take up half of the screen. It just does not seem right.
I have seen a rare few daytime shots, but yeah, I have yet to see any live footage of attacks.. I personally think that the Reporters are staying away in the daytime--VERY dangerous to be a non-Afgan (Taliban) during these times. I think one female reporter even dyed her hair from Blonde to brown so she wouldn't 'stick out'. It was a bit easier in Iraq, they had highrises.. and camera crews could get close, and kinda be hidden.. in Kabul, there is nothing but land really..

Just guessing..

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks
Old 10-12-2001, 12:34 PM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

Is it possible they are not allowed to show daytime attacks due to security measures?

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 12:48 PM   #7
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Your points are good ones but what about the camera angle and the constant explosions that take place on the screen. If the camera was set up to cover several hundred miles then it would make sense that there would be a lot of explosions. The explosions, however, take up 50-90% of the screen. So therfore the camera would have to be fairly close, or zoomed in to a specific location. Given that the camera is close why is there constant live bombings of one area of land. Do you see where I am coming from or is my logic erred.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:03 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Do you see where I am coming from or is my logic erred.
I see where you are coming from, but I think your logic is slightly erred. No human is without bias. Sometimes it's easy to mistake bias and agenda/motive as propaganda. Undoubtably the media is presenting a filtered side. This does not mean it's untrue or fabrication, rather that there is an intent behid the selection of coverage.

I have no problem accepting news reports, with the knowledge they have an inherant bias.

Anytime someone tells you anything there is a bias.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:32 PM   #9
Ziroc

Quote:
Your points are good ones but what about the camera angle and the constant explosions that take place on the screen. If the camera was set up to cover several hundred miles then it would make sense that there would be a lot of explosions. The explosions, however, take up 50-90% of the screen. So therfore the camera would have to be fairly close, or zoomed in to a specific location. Given that the camera is close why is there constant live bombings of one area of land. Do you see where I am coming from or is my logic erred.

It may look like the explosions are close, but they are 9 miles away (CNN Said this), and It's true, with 3rd Gen Night vision, even a car headlights on a flat desert land from 30 miles away look like they are pulling up to you.. Also--If you ever get to use a pair, (at night), look at the stars--you will see 8000% as many. Stars you can't see by eyesight, these night vision goggles will show them bright as the north star! It's wild.

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks
Old 10-12-2001, 01:35 PM   #10
Gilidarius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That explains things. I want to get a pair to check out the stars.
Thanks